Author Topic: I'm Drawn To Wilder Nights At Home [Fletcher]  (Read 1771 times)

Offline .Kobolt.

• The Purposeless Prince
  • Regular
  • Played by ypput
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 5
I'm Drawn To Wilder Nights At Home [Fletcher]
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »
Thunder rolled in the distance, a dull growl that threatened the imminent arrival of a storm. It was a fairly common occurrence on the baked grasslands; after the heat of the day night would sweep in from the east, bringing with it cool damp air that rubbed against the residual heat rising from the red earth. The resultant friction in the air that created enough static to stab downwards, impaling spears of fleeting light into the ground with lashes of wind and rain that left the grass flattened and trembling in awe of its sheer power.

Kobolt lifted his head, mouth slightly open as he sniffed the air, trying to judge how long he had before the weather juggernaut rolled across his path. Not long. A brisk wind stirred, rattling the branches of an already bent and twisted tree, a veteran of many such storms. Kobolt's whiskers were blown back flat to his face and he had to snap his eyes shut to defend against the gritty dust that had been propelled into the air. It was going to be a fierce night. Certainly no time to be wandering the open plains, well not unless you wanted to catch an equally fierce chill. The the elements of the storm separately were not so bad, but combined the wind and rain could strip your body heat and leave you shivering in minutes. Prolonged exposure was not advisable.

Kobolt was left frozen, rooted to the spot as his mind tried to work out his dilemma. His den was on the complete other side of the Prideland's, normally this wasn't a problem and he would be content to sleep under the stars, but not in this. The light was slowly failing, cool blues crept through the colour palate of everything before him, diluting the saturation. He didn't have much time left to look, he turned left, then right, feeling a slight lick of panic. Why was it so flat out in this area? No caves, no rocky outcrops, nothing but softly undulating hills as far as the eye cloud see. He scanned back through his memories, trying to think of some shelter. There must be something.... Where... Where could he go? Where? Eventually a thought snapped to the front of his mind, a mental picture of a grey and weathered old stone, a legacy of a glacial past, that leaned over at a dramatic angle creating a little, somewhat draughty shelter in its lee. Yes! It was damn slight better than nothing. He turned and ran for it, hopefully, hopefull he'd reach it just as the first rain drops fell. If everything went as planned.
Your eyes, they shine so bright
I want to save their light
I can't escape this now
Unless you show me how

Offline fletcher,

• Apprentice
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I'm Drawn To Wilder Nights At Home [Fletcher]
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:02:33 PM »

#D6590B

She had no idea in hell where she was.

Being recently reintroduced, she was completely lost. This expanse of flat lands also coupled with the new savannah was mind boggling to her. Where should she go? How could she get back to where she was before after exploring? It hurt her brain and left her dumbfounded. She had probably gone about this the wrong way, throwing herself into a home without asking for a tour of any sorts. Oh, I lived here, I know where I'm going! Sure, Fletcher, you idiot. Look where you are now. Thunder growled overhead and she had no idea where she could go to be safe. Thankfully she wasn't too afraid of the storm, she'd slept through them before. She lumbered along rather casually, though secretly freaking out just a little bit in her head. What if she got lost out here forever? That would suck sooooo much!

In the distance she could suddenly see a blurry image- a stone. There appeared to be enough room in it for shelter. This will have to do! She thought, realizing it would be better to wait for a storm to pass before trying to find her way back again. She started trotting towards it, just as the rain started to gently fall. She felt it on her thin fur, and she saw it on the dry ground. Ah well, a little wet wouldn't hurt her. It took her only a few minutes to fight against the harsh wind and make her way to the shelter.

Once under, she would make herself comfortable. She sat down, turning her front half and extending a paw out, her neck snaking over to give her the ability to lick at her back. She felt a bit dusty, and now weirdly wet, better to even it out. As she straightened herself out and brought her paw up to her face to nibble at it, her ears picked up a beating sound in the distance. They swiveled forward and her head rose, lime green eyes gazing out into the fuzzy darkness. She could see a figure- a large, orange? figure running towards her. Maybe they didn't see her- they were just after safety as well. Either way, Fletch stood up and backed away, the fur on her back standing a little. It's better to be defensive then left open to attack. Maybe they didn't want her there. She could be in big trouble.

Suddenly though, they were closer to her, and she could make them out more. Bright orange fur and a light white underbelly, and some unforgettable brown stripes that trailed down their back. She stared for a minute, her body relaxing and head tilting. Was that... Kobolt? It had to be him- or, well, a doppelganger. As the large cat approached, she would yell out against the wind, "HEY! IS...IS THAT PRINCEY? I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN AGES!" He might not like the title of 'princey', but Fletcher had been well aware of who he was before she had ever left. She didn't care. "IF NOT, THEN SORRY, MISTOOK YOU FOR SOMEONE ELSE, BUT- UH- YOU CAN STAY HERE IF YOU DON'T BITE ME!" A reasonable offer, she hoped. Good god it was hard to talk with all the wind.
What do I do when you're not here?

(I get my kicks like you)
[profile]

Offline .Kobolt.

• The Purposeless Prince
  • Regular
  • Played by ypput
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:45:24 AM »

"HEY! IS...IS THAT PRINCEY? I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN AGES!"

Holy sweet ever loving crap on a cracker. What was it with people and making him jump, he was just running along fighting the wind, keen on reaching his destination when a voice yelled out at him breaking the silent intensity of his run. crap like this was going to give him a heart attack one day! For that matter - Who the hell was this calling him 'Princey' what sort of a nickname was that? He skidded to halt, his expression somewhere between offended and surprised, trying to make out who was talking to him. Who ever it was seemed to be one step ahed of him, as in as much that they were already curled into the protection of the boulder.

"IF NOT, THEN SORRY, MISTOOK YOU FOR SOMEONE ELSE, BUT- UH- YOU CAN STAY HERE IF YOU DON'T BITE ME!"

In the shadow of the rock and in the fast fading light he could see little more than a silhouette. He never in a thousand years would he guess his childhood friend had returned from her adventures and was camping out under this random boulder. He approached more cautiously, but the shadows didn't give up their secrets. Who ever this was certainly seemed to know him, but he was none the wiser. "I'll not bite you and you tell me who you are. Deal?" He could have played the Oh-hi-long-time-no-see game where you have an entire conversation with someone about mutual friends and family, hoping that some shred of information will come up, allowing you to place them. Often no information surfaces however, and you were left if anything more confused than before. Best just admit he didn't know now and get that awkwardness over and done with. It was quicker this way.

The first drops of rain began to fall with loud splats where they hit the ground and dull thuds where they bounced of Kobolt's back. He winced slightly, the rain was pelting down and it felt like more like pebbles being thrown at him than drops of water. Of course these few drops were simply the vanguard of the wall of water that would sweep across the plains in a few seconds. Still he hesitated, unsure if he wanted to get into a confined space with whoever this was. A bolt of lighting split the sky with its crazy jagged lines, arrowing down to strike the gnarled old tree Kobolt had been stood under not long before. That was all the convincing he needed. Kobolt scrabbled forward and darted under the cover of the rock just as the curtain of rain closed around them. No cat enjoys getting wet and even fewer enjoy getting fried. The thunder clap that followed boomed and echoed, reverberated through the air in Kobolt's lungs. "Lovely weather we're having." Kobolt observed for once in his life actually bringing up the topic of the weather in conversation of his own volition.
I can't escape this now
Unless you show me how

Offline fletcher,

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
"I'll not bite you and you tell me who you are. Deal?"

Tell him who she was?! Did he not remember? Oh, or... maybe it was too dark. Who knew. "YEAH YEAH, DEAL! JUST COME HERE FIRST SO I DON'T HAVE TO YELL OVER THIS WIND!" Good God was that some wind, indeed. She was going to lose her ability to speak if she kept this yelling up. She made sure to press herself closer inside the small shelter to give ample room for him to come in and get his own space. Maybe he really wasn't who she thought he was. That would be pretty damn embarrassing.

He got closer, but seemed to hesitate a lot. She guessed he still couldn't tell who, or maybe even what she was, and was probably a bit wary to just hop on in the shelter with her. A smile tugged at her lips and she rolled  her eyes. So much for big bad princey, he probably could have dived in and chased everyone else out. What a huge dork. She waited, watching him a bit endearingly. However, she did jump a little when the lightning struck and the thunder cracked. He scrambled in, and she made sure he had enough space.

"Lovely weather we're having."

She stopped, and then chuckled a bit. What a topic starter. He was about as good at talking as she was. "Yeah, definitely. 'Specially if you're a frog." Ah yes, nice one, Fletcher. "So, you don't remember me? Or I guess maybe you can't see me- I am pretty dark." True enough, her fur was almost black, the only lightness being the white V on her chest and the bright orange cinders that flecked her pelt. "You are Kobolt, aren'tcha? I could recognize those stripes anywhere. It's me-" she hesitated a bit, if this really wasn't him she could be making a huge ass out of herself, "It's me, Fletcher."

The rain pounded the dry ground outside and a growl of thunder rolled across the plains.

[profile]

Offline .Kobolt.

• The Purposeless Prince
  • Regular
  • Played by ypput
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »

"YEAH YEAH, DEAL! JUST COME HERE FIRST SO I DON'T HAVE TO YELL OVER THIS WIND!"

Fletcher's words had been lost to him through the combination of wind, thunder and rain, he'd managed to hear that she had said something but not what it was. Hopefully it wasn't her name or they'd just be back at square one again. He settled himself down under the rock, leaving as much distance as he could between himself and the unknown figure with whom he was sharing his hideout. Yes, he probably could have snarled, swiped his claws and claimed the whole space for himself, but it went against his nature - He might be irascible but it wasn't cruel. He had no desire to see someone else shiver and suffer in the cold.

"Yeah, definitely. 'Specially if you're a frog."

"Ducks." Kobolt responded despondently, peering out at the rain as it pummelled down, turning red soil into red mud. "Ducks would love this." He let out a long grumbling sigh and tucked his damp paws under his chest to warm them up, at the same time giving the stranger a surreptitious, wary, glance. They had said he could come in here, but what anyone said and what they later did were too very different things - He was also hoping for clues about his sheltering companions identity, from her voice he gathered she was female but that was all he knew.

"So, you don't remember me? Or I guess maybe you can't see me- I am pretty dark. You are Kobolt, aren'tcha? I could recognize those stripes anywhere. It's me- It's me, Fletcher."

It was pretty dark, he couldn't make out more than a silhouette. "Fletcher?" Kobolt replied, just for something to say as his mind dug through its archives trying to put a time and place to that name. It took a second, the memory was buried deep, put away with all other childish things at the back of his mind, a rarely visited spot that was thick with dust. "That Fletcher!" Kobolt said - Like he knew anyone else with the same name - His memory finally handing him the file. Fletcher and he had been good friends as cubs, playing games for hours on end like tag and hide and seek, all the classics. It had been years ago, but he hadn't forgotten, Kobolt had few enough friends to forget any of them. A pause stretch between them after that. Now he found himself rather stumped for something to say - What bonded them as children meant nothing as adults. They were both grown now, both different, in Kobolt's case very different - He wasn't the sweet and trusting little cub he had been. "You've been gone a long time." Kobolt said eventually, stating the obvious, levelling his green eyes at her dark outline in the gloom. Though on the topic of leaving he could hardly deem to judge; he had drifted away from his home looking for Rykryk only to come back and find himself replaced - Maybe if he hadn't left things would have been different. He didn't regret looking for his sister, only that in looking for one of his siblings he seemed to have lost the other. "When did you get back?"

The rain drummed down outside, dripping over the lip of rock face and splashing down on Kobolt's nose, he shuffled backward, pushing himself uncomfortably up against the cold stone to avoid further drips, cuffing away the water. "A lot's changed here." Kobolt added quietly, settling again and looking across at her again, trying to break to her as gently as he could that this place wasn't exactly what she might remember...  Neither was he.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:22:50 PM by .Kobolt. »
I can't escape this now
Unless you show me how

Offline fletcher,

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 07:31:14 PM »
It was very obvious he was still very wary about being cramped in a cave with her. She didn't blame him, she was hard to see and it was kinda scary outside. For all he knew, she could be some vicious wolf monster waiting to spill some unsuspecting tiger's guts all over the ground for pure amusement. Thankfully for him, however, she wasn't. Not yet, anyway.

"Ducks. Ducks would love this."

She couldn't help but burst out with a quick- and loud laugh. His tone of dejection and mixing that with the word 'ducks' was way too much. She quickly noticed how loud she was though, and awkwardly cut it off before it drew out. She sat there silently in her own shame for a few minutes, faux-blushing at the ground. You idiot, what an awful laugh.

"Fletcher?" It was taking him awhile to reply. Wow, he'd really forgotten hadn't he? She had been gone that long, but she'd at least managed to remember some of the people she'd known before. She was about to let out a hopeless sigh before- "That Fletcher!"

"Yes, that Fletcher. Probably." Did you meet any other Fletchers while I was gone? Do I have to find them and beat them up for identity theft? It was a funny joke, but she was completely serious. She'd do it.

"You've been gone a long time. When did you get back?"

Her tone changed now, something very somber, maybe laced with a bit of regret. Her gaze shifted to the ground outside, watching the droplets as they splashed the ground. "I have... and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left," she paused for a sigh and a bit of a droop, "It was all for nothing, the only thing I could say I got outta it was that now I'm not as much of a dreamer." Was that a good thing, though? Who knew, time would tell. "I got back only a day or two ago.  A nice... Snow... Leopard? let me  in. Bryanny. An... odd creature." she allowed herself to let out a "heh", just a subtle laugh without it being anything too loud again. "I heard... there's wolves here now too...?" Her voice was less then impressed, if anything she sounded a bit like an upset teenager asking something they knew, but weren't happy with.

"A lot's changed here."

She watched him for a moment, a flash of lightning breaking the dark for only a fragment of a second. Her front was illuminated, and she diverted her eyes quick. She shouldn't feel so awkward around someone who was her friend, but... were they still? She hoped they could be. His statement was ominous, rather. "Yeah. I can tell already..." a long pause of silence, looking back over at his figure after it was all dark again, "What happened while I was gone?" Her voice sounded a bit lost, almost seeming to beg him. Please tell me, I'm listening.

[profile]

Offline .Kobolt.

• The Purposeless Prince
  • Regular
  • Played by ypput
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:14:16 PM »

"Yes, that Fletcher. Probably."

His old friend. He could recall now the days he had spent looking for Fletcher after her disappearance - Time had not erased the memories, only buried them deep under other layers, hidden in boxes, that he was excavating now. He turned each memory over carefully as he unearthed it, lest any have sharp edges that might still cut him, reexamining them for the first time in a long time with the added perspective of age. There was such a scramble of emotions tethered there and he teased the threads loose, gently tugging on each one. Remembering. There was a slight stir in his stagnant emotions, a chirp of delight from his silent heart as flashes of memories surged back to him. Hot days, hiding in the grass, hunting bugs, playing tig. Idyllic scenes. Then there was the disappointed his young self had felt when she was gone, the inability to understand that he had been left behind. How he'd missed her. If only they could roll back time, switch things back so they were cubs again. Young. Innocent. Hopeful. Naïve. They could do things over - Perhaps things would be different... He would be King and she would be... But no. That could never be. Time could not be stopped, memory was the closest they would ever get to the past.

"I have... and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left. It was all for nothing, the only thing I could say I got outta it was that now I'm not as much of a dreamer."

Though Fletcher couldn't see in the dark Kobolt shrugged, he was hardly an example to follow when it came to behaviour. "The world caught up with us both it seems." Kobolt replied wistfully. She was no dreamer and he was no believer. They were both realists now it seemed, they had discovered that no amount of wishing or good intention changed anything.

"I got back only a day or two ago.  A nice... Snow... Leopard? let me  in. Bryanny. An... odd creature. I heard... there's wolves here now too...?"

Kobolt shrugged again, he didn't know Bryanny but he had no problem with Snow Leopards, they at least were cats. The wolves however - "Ugh." Kobolt spat, "We inherited the mongrels from Aryion mostly," Kobolt responded a sneer flickering around his lip. Wolves. Damn wolves, had they seen enough of that kinds behaviour to know they were nothing but trouble, the world would be a better place if everyone last one were blotted out in Kobolt's opinion. But no they were expected to scrape and smile at those damn parasites like they were friends and equals. It made him want to spit blood.

A flash of lightening crackled through the air lighting the scene in a momentary freeze frame, Fletcher had been looking across at him - He turned his head to look back at her, a slightly quirk of his eyebrow phrasing the question - What? But it would likely be to dim for her to see such a subtle movement. The rain continued to pour down outside, forming deep puddles that were whipped into tiny raging seas by the whipping wind.

"Yeah. I can tell already... What happened while I was gone?"

Kobolt sighed out a long breath that ended in the echo of a frustrated growl. What had happened? "A lot." He paused, a long minute of silence, while he considered not saying anymore. Fletcher had been his friend and his initial delight at seeing a friend return to him was quickly doused by his age and cynicism. That friendship was a long time ago, when they were kids, she wasn't someone he could unburden a full explanation on but he couldn't dangle the carrot either with out saying something. She could be acquainted with the basic facts at least, that was likely all she was interested in anyway.

"My mother and Father are gone. Mayan is Queen." His eyes drifted away from Fletcher, up to black turmoil of the sky. "Her and another called Requiem." Another crack of lightening froze his expression in its cold and hateful mask as he said Her name. "Aryion and Stoneclaw have been joined to make Asgard." His tone made it abundantly clear what he thought of that particular decision. "As for me -" He laughed, a completely mirthless sound. "I'm still here." Another flash of lightening. What more was there to say about himself? The storm was almost directly overhead now and the boom that followed the blinding light was deafeningly loud.

Kobolt turned his ears back against the noise and feel into a brooding silence, glowering out at the rain as if had done him a great and personal wrong. Eventually, he did speak again. "I missed you when you left." It was as close to an emotional reunion as he was likely to get. It was an admittance that despite his slow uptake he did now remember, he recalled pretty much everything. It was just that he had stored his fondest memories of her away, in the same place where he kept all his other memories of happier times, deep in a big black box where he couldn't inadvertently stumble across them. Where they couldn't hurt him. "But that was a long time ago."
I can't escape this now
Unless you show me how

Offline fletcher,

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 06:36:57 PM »
"The world caught up with us both it seems."

Heh. The world was a funny place, wasn't it? It had a way of tearing down everyone, no matter how strong or how weak, no matter their ambitions or dreams. It had a wonderful way of grabbing onto the edge, and ripping off piece by piece, until one day, it clawed completely down the middle, shredding any hope you had left. That's what'd happened to Fletcher, anyway. Years and years of hoping and dreaming for a family- her mother and father, her sister, a mate, and her own cubs. She wanted all of them to be there. Her parents to look approvingly at her and her partner, and to dote over their grandchildren. Her sister to be the best aunt she ever could. It was all for nothing, though. They were gone. Her parents were gone, potentially lost or dead, and her sister had died long ago. The corners of her maw lowered in a moment of sadness, mourning the loss still to this day. "Yeah. I guess it has. Life is funny and cruel in that way." Maybe it was for the better that the world caught up with them both, but was it really?

"Ugh. We inherited the mongrels from Aryion mostly,"

"I've heard of Aryion. It must not have been the best place if they allowed wolves to roam." she sneered, muzzle parting in disgust, "I can't stand them. They're everywhere, like flies on a corpse." Maybe a morbid metaphor to use, but one that Fletcher found equal in terms of annoyance. She didn't like the thought of it. Would she be expected to share the food she killed with them? Why couldn't they just go back to one of the many packs that existed in the world? Why invade the cat's home?

After a long pause, He spoke again. "A lot." Then another long pause. She looked over at him again, watching carefully. He seemed to be thinking, or at least, deciding. She didn't expect much from him, considering how long she'd been gone. Truthfully, she didn't deserve anything.

"My mother and Father are gone. Mayan is Queen. Her and another called Requiem. Aryion and Stoneclaw have been joined to make Asgard. As for me - I'm still here."

She could see the rage in his face when lightning broke the darkness, and it made her a bit sad. That name seemed to bear some heavy weight with it, but she wouldn't pry. It wasn't her business. He didn't seem very happy about anything, and that disappointed her most of all. Even his laugh, something that probably would have melted the hearts of many female sabers if he'd been his old self, was empty. She found herself cracking a fake smile at him, a small, awkward laugh sighing out too. "I'm glad to know you're still here, at least. Even if you're a lot different then I remember." We can always try again, at least, try to rekindle the friendship. She felt sadness for him, there was no way she ever wanted to find out her childhood friend had turned into a ball of sadness and rage. Nobody wanted that. What followed next was another long silence as she waited, watching the rain once more. Maybe it would be better just to wait in silence, not to bother him anymore. Let him rest.

"I missed you when you left. But that was a long time ago."

He broke the quiet once more, and with something that almost shocked her. Her chartreuse eyes shifted back to him, watching his figure in the dark. She felt heavy by this admission, and she had assumed it was one that was relatively hard for him to get out. She wouldn't laugh, nor would she even smile at him. She would reply, instead, with an admission of her own. "I missed you when I left, too." She gave a quiet pause, almost as if she was wondering whether to go on or not, "You were almost all I thought about, you and my parents, and my sister..." she hesitated again, if anything, this was something that was just embarrassing to admit, "I liked you a lot, I saw you like a hero. I wanted you by my side- as- well, you know. " she stopped again,  her face probably red. "But that was a long time ago." Was it really, though? Word theft, maybe, but it was the only way she could feel that she could sum up her own speech.

[profile]

Offline .Kobolt.

• The Purposeless Prince
  • Regular
  • Played by ypput
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 07:19:45 AM »
OOC: Sorry for the delay, been crazy busy, got a couple of weeks off work now though - Huzzarh!

"Yeah. I guess it has. Life is funny and cruel in that way."

"Hmmm." Kobolt responded, a low grumble of agreement. Life was cruel, it made promises it couldn't keep. It was strange really, the way life went; when you were little everyone loved and cared you and wanted the best for you, but with each and every day that passed that love dwindled until you came of age, at which point it died altogether and you were left to your own devices to sink or swim.

"I've heard of Aryion. It must not have been the best place if they allowed wolves to roam. I can't stand them. They're everywhere, like flies on a corpse"

Kobolt nodded, finding her description of the canines apt. "Me either." Kobolt voiced his agreement finally, "It's all love thy flea-bitten-dire-wolf-neighbour round here though." He grunted, lip curling a little. At last. Thank you. Someone who wasn't brainwashed by all that holier than thou crap. It was refreshing, he got so sick of everyone who felt they had to conform to the current wolf loving sentiment, like it was some kind of moral well done sticker that made you a better person. What bollocks. "Aryion's leaders just handed the Pride and their land over to Stoneclaw and did one. Seems like a great acquisition until you realise there were barely a handful of them left in the Pride, half of which were wolves and that they don't do a damned thing to help around here." Kobolt folded his paws under his chest and huffed. "We'd be better off with out them."

"I'm glad to know you're still here, at least. Even if you're a lot different then I remember."

Kobolt made a small, grunting noise, but made no actually comment to her words. He was different, he knew that, he also knew he wasn't the only one who was different. Everyone had changed - Or was it that everyone was the same, but he had never really seen them for what they were? Was that the change in him - His perception of the world?

"I missed you when I left, too. You were almost all I thought about, you and my parents, and my sister... I liked you a lot, I saw you like a hero. I wanted you by my side- as- well, you know. But that was a long time ago."

Hero? Kobolt smiled at that, a soft, sad smile and a small shake of his head. He couldn't save his sisters, couldn't save his mother, couldn't even save himself - What had he ever done to earn Fletchers respect? "More of the villain these days." He said softly, his voice only just loud enough to be heard over the wailing wind - Flamestorm had made that quite clear, Kobolt wasn't any kind of hero to anyone these days, at best he was an inconvenience, at worse a threat. "We should have gone together." He said wistfully, craning his head to peer out from under the boulder at the angry sky. A couple of stars glinted down from between the angry clouds and the rain seemed to have lessened, if only a little - Was the storm moving away? What if they had gone adventuring together, exploring the world, never looking back? Everyone might have been happy then. The power of hindsight was a wonderful thing, it told you exactly where you had gone wrong and what you should have done at the time to rectify your mistakes. He leaned back with a sigh and added with another sad smile. "What if?" The story of his life in two words.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:21:47 AM by .Kobolt. »
I can't escape this now
Unless you show me how

Offline fletcher,

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »
Fletcher couldn't help but smile at his feelings towards the wolves. She was glad they shared a similar opinion, because hating on wolves by herself would be really awkward and boring. However, upon the announcement that Aryion just... gave up the pride that easily, she was a little surprised. "Were the leaders really that... pathetic? They just like, handed over their whole pride? That seems really sad. Where's the pride in that?" An accidental pun, but it worked. She sighed and shook her head, the disappointment airing out with the drawn out breath.

She looked back out again. The rain seemed to finally start slowing down. It was still there, but it wasn't as hard or angry as it had been previously. The thunder was more distant. She smiled in relief, soon enough they could both leave this little cramped area and stretch their legs. Who knew when it would stop though, she could only hope it would be soon. Maybe then they could get a good look at each other for the first time in years.

"More of the villain these days."

She broke her gaze to glance at him again, a small frown forming across her muzzle. "I wouldn't say that. It takes a lot of assholery to be a villain, and I don't think most would be having a conversation like this." Don't think so bad of yourself, Kobolt. He might not be as nice as he was as a cub, but there was no way he could be someone so vile and evil now. No way. Not that she would believe, that is.

"We should have gone together. What if?"

Something unexpected, but a thought that weighed her with a dark cloud of sorrow. Eyes darted to the floor and she expelled a very heavy sigh, "We should have," she paused momentarily to take a few more breaths, dwelling on what could have been, "We could have found paradise. Maybe we could have had fun, even if we didn't find what we had been looking for, we could have found something else..." she trailed off, looking back out to gaze at whatever stars she could glimpse, "Maybe we could have been happier." That was all anyone really wanted, wasn't it? Yet, here they were, two cubs who had grown, seemingly stripped of everything that could have preserved that happiness within them. The world was cruel and lonely, and they were nothing more then dolls tossed around by a violent storm.

[OOC: IT'S OKAY!! don't worry! sorry for how short this one is ;o;]

[profile]

Offline .Kobolt.

• The Purposeless Prince
  • Regular
  • Played by ypput
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 05:05:47 PM »
"Were the leaders really that... pathetic? They just like, handed over their whole pride? That seems really sad. Where's the pride in that?"

Kobolt didn't miss the word play and gave her the requisite little laugh and shake of his head that every good bad pun deserved. In answer to her questions though he just shrugged his massive shoulders and made an I-don't-know noise in the back of his throat. Though in reality he had a fair idea, he had abandoned his Pride once before, shirked responsibility and gone off on his own. He could have been King of all of this now if only it had not been so easy, too easy, to be that self centred and carefree.

"I wouldn't say that. It takes a lot of assholery to be a villain, and I don't think most would be having a conversation like this."

Kobolt shrugged again, making another noncommittal noise, it was turning into his go to response. Any other words would have felt like another step towards something that was frankly getting a bit emotional to him. So he shut the conversation down by not saying anything despite the fact he truly appreciated her words. She didn't really know him anymore, but she didn't hate him which made a nice change - Or at least she didn't hate him yet, she could soon learn to he thought sourly. It never occurred to him that such thoughts were more or less a self fore-filling prophecy - If you thought everyone was going to hate you anyway you didn't bother to be nice to them in the first place, therefore they never liked you.

"We should have, we could have found paradise. Maybe we could have had fun, even if we didn't find what we had been looking for, we could have found something else... Maybe we could have been happier."

"Sounds nice." Kobolt breathed softly instead of shrugging, because it really did sound nice, even he couldn't deny that. The places they could of been, the things they could have done... "Where is this paradise do you reckon?" He asked her, partly ironic because he didn't believe paradise could exist, and partly genuinely curious because there was always that slim chance it did. What would paradise even be like? Endless plains? Beautiful forests? He caught a shadow of his younger self wondering about it, trying to paint a picture. "Too late now anyway." He added, realising he was allowing himself to be fanciful, his voice regained the hard edge that experience and reality had carved into him. It hardly mattered what paradise could have been like, they had passed that cross roads long ago and could now only stare longingly at the road untaken. There was no going back. There was no point even contemplating it.

Beyond the boulder the rain gradually began to slow and then, almost as quickly as it had come, stopped all together. Kobolt gingerly edged forwards, as if not entirely trusting the storm not be playing tricks, and stuck his head out to look about. The golden grass had been beaten down by the savage winds and lay in flat sheets, plastered to the ground. It was not quite full dark, night was drawing in but the sky still held a hint of blue and gleam of pink towards the horizon. The angry clouds of the storm had churned off to the north leaving the sky in that direction a forbidding shade of grey purple like an nasty bruise. Everything gleamed with wetness and the ground beneath his paws was covered in puddles of standing water. Kobolt stretched himself laboriously, releasing cramped muscles that objected being squeezed into such a tight space for so long. "Rains stopped." He supplied to Fletcher, stating the obvious.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:08:46 PM by .Kobolt. »
I can't escape this now
Unless you show me how