Author Topic: 52-Pickup [PRP; Ajax]  (Read 546 times)

Offline Estoc

• Regular
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 45
52-Pickup [PRP; Ajax]
« on: January 13, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »
Deviation—foolish counter-tactics marking the board harshly with black squares occupied by the opposition. Relentlessness—something Ajax hadn't yet to grasp. If aggression was at the heart of the game, then the eldest hadn't the courage to stab it through and through, and it made the gambit all a bit more interesting with every pawn swept by Scimitar in the interim. Estoc could recognize the tactic easily, never doubtful of his own deductive capabilities, though it was astounding in every sense of the word how simply a game of kings and crowns could be docked with one, minor alteration.

The middle son's presence was foreboding, and there set a coldness in his eyes—grey and dull and lifeless. There weren't features reminiscent of either parent defining the contours of his posturing, only character—no fool unmasked before the court, whose role paid exquisitely upon performance as a player. Estoc was mindful always, cautious, and contemplative of the pieces aligning in their respective quadrants. Scimitar understood well enough how annoying it was to see potential lost to the tresses of those vines—underestimated the nonchalance that hid beneath the surface and the truth locked behind it all. But Scimitar had no idea the capabilities of that potential—played the game purposefully but sloppily in the absence of his queen, in hopes to overwhelm his contender with fear, for such moves were so…unprecedented.

Estoc grinned in favor of his older brother for the moment, posturing not so unsettled but poised and proper as he calculated the arrival by counting on twos. "At least you have one advantage," sounded to the open air—Ajax on the mind and their boyhood fresh on the periphery of his muddled memories. If, perhaps, there was one thing for Scimitar to fear of either of them, it was the fact that they'd both come on the teachings of a familiar benefactor.

"We do have the same mother, don't we?"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:58:35 AM by Estoc »

Offline asche

• Master
  • i don't do that anymore.
  • Liked: 1496
  • Likes Given: 1136
Re: 52-Pickup [PRP; Ajax]
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
If either side of the board hoped to make the prince a boy afraid, then they did not know how to play their hand; neither king nor lion nor knight errant brother would deter Ajax from the capabilities of his stubborn arrogance. He was careful, ever careful, not to play his own deck before it was fully flushed with every card he would require in the days of trial to come. Of this deck, of the pieces who stood and flew the flag of his colours, he had to be without any measure of doubt that they believed in him.

And Ajax could not say that of Estoc. That he considered him a contender alone spoke of how the prince saw his brother - Anya was right, he was a wildcard more dangerous than any other, because he did not fight for any crown, or any one thing. Loyalty through blood alone could not be bought, that much was clear by Scimitar's position and Blade's initial betrayal.

"It's nice to know you're keeping faith in me, brother," Ajax adressed Estoc with the familiar petulant snideness they always favoured when interacting, like it were a chore to simply be around each other. The dappled light of the forest highlighted the purposeful way he glided towards his brother who was already marking time, expecting him. "Estoc. You never could keep your nose out of anything." Wrinkling his muzzle ever so slightly, shaking his head.

"Yes, well, now that the obvious has been sorted through -" Ajax moved around until he came to sit somewhat challengingly infront of Estoc, flicked his tail somewhat dismissively, "I believe there are more important things to attend to." If Scimitar and Estoc were great actors worthy of praise, then Ajax was, too; he knew when he had to be simple, and bold, and he knew when he had to use words as bayonets. The difference was that he didn't believe in being a snake.

The prodigal son, the golden boy. No one would ever know for certain the answer to the question of nature versus nurture - had it been Arithmetic's favour, Blade's choice in heir, or an inherently unflinching, unbowed nature? All he knew was the gravity of his purpose, and the burden of promise that had been so heavy upon his shoulders since birth.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:34:53 PM by Ajax »
ALL NIGHT I STRETCHED MY ARMS ACROSS
HIM, RIVERS OF BLOOD, THE DARK WOODS, SINGING
WITH ALL MY SKIN AND BONE, ‘PLEASE KEEP HIM SAFE.'

Offline Estoc

• Regular
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:47 AM »
Estoc's feigned interest almost filtered a sliver of genuine curiosity when it came to Ajax, but not quite so. With Caden, on the other hand, it was much easier to pull amusement from whatever came of their encounters and stuck. Tricks from sleeves with all of their bells and whistles were so much more interesting with their youngest, but the both of them here, together? It was reminiscent of their boyhood, with their shoulders still parallel and their un-rivalry apparent in the way they both sat across from each other.

"How atypical of you not to clamp those meaty jaws around my nose—you're already so very different from your predecessors." Though it was a backhanded compliment, at least through the sarcasm there held a bit of truth. Estoc knew, just as well as Blade and Scimitar knew, that Ajax was more than capable of taking the throne and winning this game. Whether by conventional means or otherwise, the outcome crowning the boy with this land's prize yielded curious results.

"Though you forget one thing:" one aspect in kingship that the competitors were quick to slight. "I matter." Should Ajax not pique the interest of a single peasant, there was no guarantee that kingship could be bought over. "Theymatter." It wasn't the kind of mistake that cost him the vote just yet, if it could be called a mistake at all. Frankly? The power Estoc and the pack, as a single unit, held above the heads of their monarch made his tongue tingle with unspoken insults. It bubbled as laughter as gravity lifted and he was able to roll onto his back against the earthy floor.

"I think you know this already and you're just being stubborn. Humble yourself, brother. You're making us both look bad."

Offline asche

• Master
  • i don't do that anymore.
  • Liked: 1496
  • Likes Given: 1136
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
Ajax regarded his brother with sharp eyes and a canted head: for all their differences, he held no illusions to the nature of the mind he called brother. They were opposites and had been opposites since they were born - and if they hadn't realized it then, two boys tussling for greatness, it was certainly more apparent now. King maker and king breaker, keen minds like the edge of blades set against each other, testing the strength of their individual mettle.

"Am I really?" he stated somewhat dryly, feigning some sort of shock that sounded more uninterested than it did involved. "Oh, but there's still time for that - I still could." and do not forget it; an unspoken, idle threat. He had told Anya that, should the time come, he would not hesitate to strike the errant knight down, and he meant it. Brother or no: he could not afford idle allegiances.

Different, but the same. The prince knew that the same strengths ran through his veins, and with that, the same weaknesses, but the blood of his bearing had been tempered by another source - and that he knew was a strength. Ajax favoured his brother with a somewhat pensive noise, like it were an indulgence to whatever notion Estoc was offering up for the prince's careful consideration. "And here I thought you were content to sew your discord," because he knew his brother was an agent of chaos and not order.

He watched Estoc roll languidly into the dirt, and grinned. Perhaps he had ordered his stakes wrong.

"Well then, brother, suppose I humble myself to your infinite wisdom - how does one pique the interest of an otherwise divided nation?" In the end, if the peasantry could not be bought for loyalties to ties that Ajax was keen to eliminate - his grandfather, the debt collectors - then they would simply be overrun.
ALL NIGHT I STRETCHED MY ARMS ACROSS
HIM, RIVERS OF BLOOD, THE DARK WOODS, SINGING
WITH ALL MY SKIN AND BONE, ‘PLEASE KEEP HIM SAFE.'