Author Topic: Be rigid, my jelly legs; (acceptance)  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Chelinka

• Red Seour of Oukoku Kai
  • Regular
  • of Oukoku Kai.
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 7
Be rigid, my jelly legs; (acceptance)
« on: October 09, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »
((Profile: http://forum.theblackbloodalliance.hrwr.org/index.php?topic=80779.0))

Chella the Brave. 

Chella the Ferocious.

Chella the Mighty.

Tricolor form moved through the woods, slenders paws pattering the earth, her stride a graceful walk.  Those mocha flanks, sleek and fine-coated without the burly muscle of a sabre or dire, compensated for her weight as she stepped downhill; a catch, a slip, an automatic recovery, and the shewolf tried to find something spectacular about the way she kept her footing.  She had to find something to boost her confidence, something to swell her chest with, to bark as the valley sentinel asked her how she could help the pack.

Those dark ears, tipped forward, the dorsal stripe, rippling as she leapt in an arc of sun-dappled fur over a mossy boulder enshrined in the path.

For any other wolf, pondering titles would seem arrogant, self-indulging.  But for the timid two year-old, it was a necessary pep-talk fior a last attempt to join an established pack.  She needed a miracle, something to pry her mouth open and keep her from staring dumbly at the pack sentry until he turned in disgust and left her, still standing at the edge of the border, too intimidated to utter a word.

Chella the Fierce.

Chella the Huntress.

Did she have the courage to go through with it? This was a pack for the strong, bone it all, and she was not strong.  But if she had to reform herself into something resembling strength, some facade of steel...Chelinka would try her hardest.

That was her only gift, her tenacity.  She was sure, suddenly, that it was all in her head too, like the titles, like the "agility".  Oh moon, would they see through her, see the weak creature inside, if she put on a brave face? Would they be angry with her, for trying to deceive them, for trying to fit among the ranks of the valley wolves like a mourning dove pinning itself with peacock feathers?

Pale forepaws touched the border, as the hill leveled into flat grassy earth, and it was time to decide.  Would she try to join, or would she turn and leave? Risk, or safety?

Chelinka lifted her muzzle, numb with sudden fear; she was sure that it didn't show on the outside, but in a second's time the world had gained a horribly sharp clarity.  Everything was hyper-focused, her limbs tingling with the light-headedness of dread, dreading what she had traveled to seek: acception, into the ranks of this valley home.  This was no gentle life, no easy socialization. 

She tilted her head back before she could change her mind, eartips touching the dark ruff, lips parting, chest convulsing with an attempt to howl.  Nothing exited the teo year-old's black lips but a hiss of breath, and she tried again.

The sound rose in the clearing, a voice surprisingly sweet and melodic, stronger and surer than she felt.  But she would need to pretend that she was fit for this, so they wouldn't see the weakling inside.  She'd adapt as quickly as she could, once she passed the borders, until the tricolor didn't need to rely on subterfuge to support herself.

I seek acceptance, wolves of the valley! Hear my cry, and grant me the honor of a meeting at the border!
the day has come for all us sinners,
if you're not a servant you'll be struck to the ground
flee the burning, greedy city,
looking back on her to see there's nothin' around

I don't believe in fairytales and no one wants to go to Hell, but we made the wrong decision
and it's easy to see, now if you wanna serve above or be a king below with us

you're welcome to the city where your future is set forever.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
played by Theral. | tracker~

Offline Chelinka

• Regular
  • of Oukoku Kai.
Re: Be rigid, my jelly legs; (acceptance)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »
Unfortunately, Chella wouldn't be greeted with welcome arms like she would have hoped ...but infact, the exact opposite. The outsider, even if it was unintentional, had strayed too close to the proximity of her den, which the Hawk mother had spent most of her time dwelling in since she went into labor more than two months ago.

Vertigo had just finished killing a sickly boar that was foraging within the forest maze, and brought it back to her family to devour. At the mouth of the den, the call of the outsider immediately caught her attention, her melodic voice was clearly alien to the Blackblood, thus remembered her job of keeping the unworthy out, bring the new blood in, and make sure deserters never make it past the trees into "freedom".

Reluctant to leave her pups unattended, but she would surely kick herself if the female mongrel had wandered into Oukoku without supervision, a price upon her head that she was not willing to risk. Immediately, Vertigo turns, heading in the direction of Chella's voice, allowing her sensitive nose, and acute ears to guide the monstrosity to the intended target. All the while, her movements were brisk, with the large brush of a tail bouncing behind her with alert.

I seek acceptance, wolves of the valley! Hear my cry, and grant me the honor of a meeting at the border!

As quickly as Chella pleaded for Oukoku audience, her wish would be granted not but a moment later. A flash of black, orange, and white, the Blackblood towered over the timber wolf with a swift and graceful jump, with eyes that burned with caged hate for those not known to her. Two rows of dagger-like teeth that were caked with saliva and dried blood, exposed themselves as Vertigo ushered a threatening sound; A horrid growl with paws of black stepping closer towards the would be Bondless, should she be able to successfully get past the Blackblood's radar.

"............Who are you and why should I spare your worthless life..? You've got five seconds before I tear off your dirty mug.."

A voice of vengeance and venom, mixed in a neat package, Vertigo was about ready to jump the little wolf if her answer didn't come soon.

I don't believe in fairytales and no one wants to go to Hell, but we made the wrong decision

Offline Chelinka

• Regular
  • of Oukoku Kai.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:10:01 PM »
Silence echoed through the trees, and there was no reply.  The slender she-wolf stood still, not breathing, not daring to move or relax or look around, and was about to turn around when --

Hell exploded in her face.
Black, orange, and white, her first impression was of a mountain of fur landing near her with an earth-shuddering bang.

Chelinka gasped, unable to hold back the sharp intake of breath, and froze in place.  Every ounce of the confidence she had drummed up seemed paltry and insufficient, leaving her in the one fleeting second that it took to meet those maddened eyes.  Her muscles felt like something carved out of stone, rooting her to the ground, paws like sacks of lead and she was sure that if she turned now, if she tried to run, it would be something out of a nightmare.  She would be running with all her energy, but in seconds she would feel teeth in her flank.

Any who looked at the little timber could see, plainly, that she was terrified.  Her ears were flattened against her skull, pupils dilated, breath coming fast, almost to the point of ranking as hyperventilation.  Her flanks were quivering and her tail was low, curled beneath her shamelessly, her body almost plastered to the ground.  It was a sight so patthetic that it had equal chance of receiving disgust or pity, because there was no guile in it.  In this case, all intimidation was, really, overkill.  Just seeing the other wolf emerge with confidence would have been sufficient.

The bared teeth, the snarl -- Chelinka's world blurred, and she realized with a growing horror that she really did have the potential to faint from fear.  She was disgusted with herself, for she had tried to hide the weakness inside and here it was, fanned out for all to see, even if "all" was only this powerful Dire wolf and the vermin scampering through the underbrush.

Afraid of what would happen if she fell senselessly, the would-be recruit blurted out the first thing that came to her thoughts.

"I--I can learn!"

Her voice was high, breathless, and she realized that the sentence had made no sense to anybody but herself.  Again her better inclinations, the mocha Timber tried to expound on what she meant.

"I--I mean, I can adapt.  To your way of life.  I'm not strong like you and your pack, but that can change.  I can try harder."

It was a hope, an attempt, because for the life of her, her mind had gone utterly blank.

Offline Chelinka

• Regular
  • of Oukoku Kai.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »
Vertigo's ear twitched, listening intently upon Chelinka's babbling explanation.
Fear...she could sense it, it was reeking all about the younger wolf like eye-tearing stench of a vile skunk. Her amber pools greatly reflected the deph of her maliciousness, and her white "lion-mane" didn't exactly help out her apperance in viewing as a harmless creature.

"I--I mean, I can adapt.  To your way of life.  I'm not strong like you and your pack, but that can change.  I can try harder."

Almost immediately, Vertigo shoves her face even closer towards the outsider, with a lowly growl erupting from her throat, it trilled for several seconds as her nostrils flared to take in more of the fear, taking in more of the scent....This in turn, would allow the Blackblood to be lost in her own thoughts. Lady Red Rose has always taught her to seek out the worthy, weed out the unworthy, and ward off the worthless. If this little monstrosity couldn't hold her own ground upon her presence, there would have been no reason to take her offer into consideration..

Alas....she saw something there...it was small, but it was something...perhaps it could be molded, shaped, sculpted into something more stunning, prideful, and elegant with the help of her pack.

After what seemed like an eternity, Vertigo slowly backs her head off, but her posture remained, seeming to be nearly on top of Chelinka, towering over her like a scolding parent, punishing its child.

"........Our path...the true path....is a long, strenuous, and difficult one....if you choose this path, you are to forget your past life, and embrace your new one with open paws.....There will be no turning back....I give you a chance now to flee, little one....The ONLY chance you will get..."

"What say you, little one?

Offline Chelinka

• Regular
  • of Oukoku Kai.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »
The almost immediate response was a growl in her face, the sound exploding like a roar in her hypersensitive state, and Chelinka couldn't help but flinch.  Eyes screwed shut for a second, muzzle whipped to the side, but she forced her face back to meet the other's, forced her eyes to open, though averted.  She had to fight her weakness, fight it! Yet, here was not the place to start with that.  Her self-confidence had been utterly demolished.

Which was why, when the head moved back, the black and orange and the white strands of hair that had been tickling her nose, the cool rush of fresh air was almost...confusing.  What was the Blackblood doing? The timber's eyes flickered up, not high enough to be even remotely challenging, with a silent bewilderment. 

"........Our path...the true path....is a long, strenuous, and difficult one....if you choose this path, you are to forget your past life, and embrace your new one with open paws.....There will be no turning back....I give you a chance now to flee, little one....The ONLY chance you will get..."

"What say you, little one?

For a second, her tongue was glued to the roof of her mouth, and speech seemed impossible.  Chelinka felt disjointed, mystified -- was she getting...rejected? She was so used to it that she almost turned around and slunk away, but then the words registered.

"Yes!

Her voice was a bark, excited, too loud, too eager.  It was exactly what she wanted, exactly what she had desired.  To leave her old life behind and shed it like a snake shedding skin, that was what she needed.

Her eyes burned now, with a fire that was deep within, lost in the corridors of a mind that had been shaped by rejection and scorn.  It was something new, this fire, something alien to her, and she recognized it not as strength but as hunger.

Let me be strong.

Offline Chelinka

• Regular
  • of Oukoku Kai.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 04:11:07 PM »
Vertigo was visibly disgusted by the outsider's sudden burst of enthusiasm...the kind of ...energy she wasn't exactly used to, and not only Chelinka was full of it, eagerness, her pups were as well. Hm....that will have to be broken in one way or another...but for now, Vertigo eases herself onto her belly, so that she was in a more relaxed state, signaling Chel that the Blackblood was comfortable with her presence for the time being.

"Don't make me regret that I've allowed you to live a little longer, little girl. . .  My Gods, My brethren and I  expect nothing but perfection, loyalty, and obedience from you. Your former life is now forfeit.....there is no turning back now..."

Replying to the outsider with a grave tone within her fully mature, enriched voice. With the flick of her tail, Vertigo immediately pulls herself onto all fours once more, and quickly trots towards the rear of the recruit, quickly cutting off her means to escape should she suddenly get cold feet.

"You are a bundle of loose and jittery nerves...I shall see that they are molded into nerves of steel....embrace my homeland...your homeland..and walk into the lands of Oukoku without fear...that shall be your first step upon the true path.."

Nodding her head towards inland, beyond the thick maze of trees that shielded the secrets of Death Valley from within..

[Short, I'm sorry, doing homework]

Offline Chelinka

• Regular
  • of Oukoku Kai.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
That little fire of sparking self-confidence that had ignoted was apparently less like a bonfire than like a candle, and one look at the disgusted dire wolf pinched said flame out.  Oops. One could almost see Chelinka visibly slouch down, belly back almost to the earth, ears flattening with a wince of something along the lines of bone, that was stupid, stupid me.. But the other wolf, that frightening sentry, lowered herself to the ground and the timber remembered to breathe again.

"Don't make me regret that I've allowed you to live a little longer, little girl. . .  My Gods, My brethren and I  expect nothing but perfection, loyalty, and obedience from you. Your former life is now forfeit.....there is no turning back now..."

I won't! She would have barked, but the old fear clamped her mouth shut, and instead the young she-wolf only averted her eyes slightly, unconsciously turning her gaze back to the dirt.  Being closer to acceptance than ever before hadn't made her braver; no, if anything, it only heaped new fears onto the burden.  If she looked up, would she be rejected after all? If she stepped forward? If she yelped? If she thanked this she-wolf? It was like trying to stand on thin ice, where there was no safe choice -- if she kept her silence, or if she spoke, either was equally dangerous.

But silence seemed safer, if only because it was the default, and so the little brown wolf only waited to see if the other would speak again.

"You are a bundle of loose and jittery nerves...I shall see that they are molded into nerves of steel....embrace my homeland...your homeland..and walk into the lands of Oukoku without fear...that shall be your first step upon the true path.."

It was like being stripped, being nude and transparent before this wolf, hearing her weakness laid out in such plain terms -- it had become her, though Chelinka had tried to fight it.  It was her, but still something blossomed and hurt to hear it noted so dismissively.  As if it was only to be expected.  Still, had she done anything to show any other side of her?

She was a loose bundle of nerves...if this valley wolf snapped a stick, she'd jump like it had been her tailtip breaking.

Still, the words seemed to be positive.  They weren't rejection, and that was something.  Chelinka squeezed her eyes shut, then opened them again with genuine surprise.

"Oukoku..." It was more of a blurted phrase than anything, though almost inaudible.  Not intended for the ears of another, but only the timber's exhalation of surprise.  Was that the name of her new home, then? If this wolf was telling her new information, that meant that she was either going to die or enter the borders. 

Chelinka turned her head again, gaze shifting from over the snow-white mane, to the the orange shoulder, to the dirt, as if she wanted to look at this other wolf but couldn't quite screw up the courage for it.  She spoke again, this time intending for the words to pass her lips, though they did so hesitantly as if she wasn't sure whether it would have been a better idea not to speak at all.

Gaze shifted back from the dirt to just below the black chin, wavering slightly, but daring to keep it there.

"Am I...accepted?"

It's either that or death, honey-pup.

Offline Chelinka

• Regular
  • of Oukoku Kai.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »
Vertigo promptly seated herself behind Chel, allowing her to gather her nerves that were in disarray by the sheer aura her ominous presence was emitting. She knew she was afraid of her...fear's disgusting scent was all about her like flies swarming a large clump of animal dung upon the ground. Although her demeanor had greatly diminished into a softened gaze of satisfaction. The Blackblood could see potential in this frail, young wolf, which was the only reason why she'd allow her to pass into paradise. Her breath slowed to a gentle pattern, basking into the scent of the trees' fragrance that served as borders for Oukoku.

"Am I...accepted?"

Vertigo's eyes shifted back to the younger wolf, questioning the Hawk for confirmation of her welcoming of the outsider. At first, she did nothing, merely giving her a piercing gaze, as if she was attempting to stare into her soul...pervert her thoughts, and squeeze her out of secrets. Alas, she didn't have that kind of power, and thus, she had to trust her gut on this one. The very least...it would be amusing to see her fail if she turned out to be a complete, utter failure, and thus, give her a reason to slice her throat open. The Hawk chuckled at this within her head, the only thing physically visible of her pleasure was a slight, creased smile of her lips.

Finally, she snorts with approval that was accompanied by a nod to confirm her identity of Oukoku. Will she succeed and flourish? Or will she fail and whither?

"Indeed, you are, little one. Venture forth, into the heart of Oukoku.."  She says, lifting one of her massive paws that were pointing inland.

"Seek out one of our spiritually lifted...and learn our ways..our culture...our history...And be sure to pay respect to our Gods...you will know them when you see them...."

Offline Chelinka

• Regular
  • of Oukoku Kai.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 04:12:44 PM »
The larger she-wolf padded around behind Chelinka, which should have reassured her (wouldn't anything be better than staring at those terrifying golden eyes? She didn't dislike this wolf, but she certainly thought that the orange tricolor was...scary) yet the intended relief became only a new source of anxiety.  Was Chelinka expected to turn around and not sit in the same place, staring like an idiot? Would turning around be considered insolent, defying some..tradition of this pack? Had her sentry decided to just kill her and be done with it already?

The timber felt unusually aware of the back of her neck and wanted to shake herself to relieve the horrible expectancy of feeling fangs meeting skin, but didn't dare.  Instead, she remained where she was, choosing inactivity over activity (inaction always had the illusion of causing less damage than action).

A long pause came, and the brown she-wolf didn't see the softer smile, or the harsh, piercing glare.  She only waited, afraid to break the silence.

Then, finally, a snort came.  Was it a cue to turn around..? Chelinka half-turned, forepaws half-pivoting her on the spot, to look over her shoulder.  It was approval, written on the half-expressionless face of the tricolor, something that was foreign to her.  Strange..but not unwelcome.  A spark of confidence, buried deep under layers of self-disgust and timor, ignited.  She wanted to see...more of that approval.

Then the enormous white paw lifted, bringing with it the inevitable flinch from the new Oukokan -- what small sliver of self-confidence that had been gained from this encounter was hardly influential enough to override what years had imprinted.  It was there, but the shackles wouldn't melt away from a simple nod.  Even a nod from this behemoth she-wolf.

Indeed, you are, little one. Venture forth, into the heart of Oukoku..Seek out one of our spiritually lifted...and learn our ways..our culture...our history...And be sure to pay respect to our Gods...you will know them when you see them...."

Gods...now this was a new puzzle.  The coffee brow furrowed slightly, not a frown, but a reflex of confusion.  She was sure she wouldn't recognize these Gods; it was a basic knowledge of the she-wolf that she would miss even the most basic details that others managed to see, because others had something that she didn't.  This was the barest bones of insecurity, but Chelinka didn't want to tell this to this she-wolf who had trusted her enough to let the timber into her home.

So instead, she spoke, feeling the necessity of this bursting inside her.  It was shaky, but it overrode the fear.

"Thank--thank you! I won't disappoint you!" It was a promise, a new hope, a goal to walk towards.

Literally, it was the border that the timber now walked towards.  Her steps were small, but they were sure.  She tried to minimize the old limp, knowing that it wasn't a quality to be proud of -- the muscles had healed, the leg was useful, but the blossoming scar tissue deep in the join hurt her steps even to this day.  Suffered, for the sake of a brother who'd then taken the credit for the fight.  It would be the last reminder of her hated past.  And it would be an everlasting reminder.

As she poised herself to walk over it, she hesitated and turned back to the sentry for the final time.  Would she see the massive dire, when she entered..? She feared her, but she wanted her approval as well.  Like a child's view of a parent, a parent who valued her...more than her own had.  What a sobering realization.

"Can I.."

A breath, as she steadied herself, her words.  No blabbering, Chella.

"What's your name?"

She wanted to know it, in case she never saw this wolf again.  Part of her wanted to flee into the lands in case the tricolor woke up and suddenly realized that she'd made a terrible mistake, which felt inevitable.  But if the terrifying sentry didn't change her mind (and Chelinka felt almost guilty now, being accepted, wanted to explain that she couldn't be as good as this wolf must see her) then the timber wanted to have something to hold onto.

Offline Chelinka

• Regular
  • of Oukoku Kai.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »
Vertigo's ears lightly twitched as she watches a new sensation writhe all about Chelinka's body like an essence that could be lathered about ones form, producing an uplifting fragrance that was easy upon the nose. Her pivoted turn was greeted by the Hawk's observing eyes, she was no longer angry...Vertigo trusted her judgement, and was certain that the little urchin could bring herself out of the muck...If she wouldn't...well...it was best not to worry about the future at this very moment, and worry about the now. The Hawk had a half of a thought to return to her den to tend to hungry mouths that awaited her, but she knew she had to stay on sentry duty until the shifts were there. Thus, made the Blackblood tense, for she was not there to look after her little ones...and knew for sure that her Onii-sama wasn't going to look after them either.

"Thank--thank you! I won't disappoint you!"

Again, Vertigo lightly nods in to acknowledge Chel's promise, a word that the Blackblood will hold her against, should she set off one of her alarms. Her anxiety was growing worse, and like a homing signal, the Hawk began to head towards the bushes; A series of shrubbery that held her most precious secret within. Most likely along the way, she'd find some tiny morsels to bring back home, the only annoying part was hunting for them. Like a tiny cry for attention, the voice of the new Bondless wrung through her ears like a bell, and immediately, Vertigo shot her head back up from the shrubs, staring at her in confusion.

"What's your name?"

She clicked the roof of her mouth with her tongue, and Vertigo thought about it for a moment whether or not if she should just leave the little bundle of nerves to fend for herself amongst the fangs of the Oukoku. Naturally, she would have, but something would have nagged her to no end if she hadn't made her presence remembered by wolves that she herself, allowed to pass.

"Leiko. Remember it."

With that, the Hawk quickly returned to the bush, returning to den to tend to her family's needs.