Author Topic: **The Fire Within**  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Kiakime

• Royal Knight of Alteron; Regent of the Labs.
  • Master
  • and know that we can talk on the other side.
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 17
**The Fire Within**
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »
The moist and soggy earth below his paws refreshed his soul. Sun peeked through the tall canopy, and by now all BlueFire needed was a friend. He needed a place to call home; he was a lonely soul and has always been that way. All he hoped to do was to find the Alpha Male/Female of Alteron and join this pack. He needed a family.

Trotting along the small trail dappled with sunlight, Koda felt as one with this jungle. He knew this was the place to be. Quickening his pace, he worried of being seen by an aggressive Timber wolf in these parts of the jungle. All was too quiet; all that could be heard was Koda heart beating as though it would happily jump out of his chest and onto the leaf covered ground. BlueFire decided to let his name be known now. The fire was building up inside of him.

"I am here. BlueFire is my name. Hear me!"

And with that being said, BlueFire let out a solemn howl, hoping one would hear him and come to meet his prescence.
Looking up from underneath
fractured moonlight on the sea,
reflections still look the same to me
as before I went under
and it's peaceful in the deep
cathedral where you cannot breathe,
no need to pray, no need to speak.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
played by Theral. | tracker~

Offline Kiakime

• Master
Re: **The Fire Within**
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 01:15:20 PM »
The sound of a howl, distant but not out of reach, drew the female's attention immediately. It wasn't her job to address such calls, but there was little else on her agenda for the morning, and this situation needed attention. It was... stupid to be howling about like that. What was his name? BlueFire? He didn't belong here, where tact and strength were necessary to survive. Stupidity wasn't just treated unkindly here; it could lead to his death, and what a waste of time it would be, bothering with him at all.

Entering the scene, Skyzhara stared down at the trespasser cold and unblinking, a trademark many could recognize. Her silver eyes then moved to briefly examine the maned wolf's body, in a sort of "sizing up" motion, before returning to meet his own gaze. It was then that she spoke.

"You shouldn't be here; you don't belong in Alteron."
as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:15:39 PM »
She moved through the forest, sniffing along the borders, waiting for the sun to strike noon.  It was routine, hiding in the thickets now during the mid-day when higher ranks were often seen passing through near the borders; Kiakime had originally planned on mingling as soon as she entered Alteron, but that had changed with both the recruitment-fight injury and Talon's aggression.  The yearling had grown warier, cagier, and those who once knew her would be uneasy to see the new stoniness to her eyes.

Once, there had been only silly abandon, but now the shadow of adulthood had entered the gold; she calculated, she judged, and it was a growing coldness that befitted an Alteronian.  A coldness that came with the more she learned of Talon, the more she saw of Alteron.  Paradise...her Paradise...it was growing stagnant in her eyes, though she'd never admit it.

The howl was high and wavering, at the borders.  The muzzle that had been sniffing in the underbrush at an old rat-trail jerked up, ears instantly erect, eyes wild for a second's time.  It passed quickly enough that any onlooker might mistake the sudden predatory gleam for excitement, the excitement that it once would have been.  Before she had begun to age, Kiakime would have sen that howl as a cry to play.  Now, she loped through the jungle with a predator's gait, with a hunter's feral lust.  Oh, was this a trespasser?

She skidded to a halt at the edge of the jungle, noting with a moment's alarm the hellhound.  Ska...Ska something.  The name escaped her.  But while the she-wolf would have enjoyed this before, she now felt instantly subdued.  Not relaxed, no, but some of the pleasure had drained from that fierce-beating pale breast.

"You shouldn't be here; you don't belong in Alteron."

The words were low and cold, in a voice that was almost dismissive.  Kiakime's gaze flickered up and down the newcomer with a sort of kin to that dismissal, a disinterested contempt.  She had made it past recruitment; this wolf couldn't even follow directions.  In her mind, she was above him.

Would an old friend even recognize what had once been a loudmouthed, innocent child...?

She spoke the rest, of what she thought this brainless would-be recruit needed to know.

"Even if you were a prime prospect, the borders are closed, loner.  Howling is something usually reserved for higher ranks.  Alteron has rules -- know them before you even approach these borders."

She might have sprung at him, or called for a Soldier or higher rank, if she were more sure of herself and her position -- after all, Alteron was a no-consent pack, and this wolf was a blatant intruder.  But not in front of this elegant hell-hound, with the vicious red eyes.  The would-be Raider hadn't yet met her on neutral terms, and the last thing she needed was to look like an usurper in front of another Alteronian.
as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:15:54 PM »
BlueFire, not accustomed to such rudeness as this, was suddenly surprised at the way these two strangers approached him. Fire blazed in his midnight blue eyes. He yearned to fight, these wolves being so vain of themselves, but the fire in his heart subsided sharply...hesitantly, but sharply. He knew they both were full of wisdom and strength, and they were at a much higher rank than him. He was only a loner.

His paws planted upon the jungle floor, he planned to not leave; he wanted to confront these two face to face as they were. But no. He just couldn't. A charming smile appeared across his face, and he wagged his bushy tail ever so slightly. He showed his shining white teeth, proud of his appearance. But then, sure that these two females didn't really care of his charms, he trotted off, in search of another land...or maybe they would have a soft spot for him and let him join their pack? after he showed them that he could be in such a pack?

BlueFire turned back around towards the two. He smiled his charming, teethy smile once again, only evil lurked under it.
"Why is it that you don't think of me as a pack-wolf?"
BlueFire cast an expression of worry and excitement on his face.
as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:16:04 PM »
Wrong.

Driven by the impartial command of the living god, she moved through the dying jungle with no intent but FIND AND BREAK. The lawmakers sat up high on their thrones, where they belonged; now if only somebody would shut up and respect the badge of the police! Society was crumbling just like the environment, bottom up, so that the lush canopy would come toppling down. Not it she reminded them why she had these scars first, though.

Opportunity called on the voice of outsiders, heralding an explosion of muscles beneath snow white fur. She weaved around the foliage, avoiding the tendencies of the war machines to crash right through them with a ruckus. She slipped in amongst the Dame and the Peasant without a sound, blue eyes locked solely on the wedge of fresh naivety in the shape of a loner before her. Briefly the one-eared head descended towards the hellhound in some curtailed respect, a luxury not given to the orange thing.

Facial muscles flexed in the beginnings of a snarl, enough to reveal the practiced weapons but not enough to pull into full fledged intimidation or joy. He needed to KNOW in every fiber of his body that this was wrong, that she did not approve; that the scion of the monarchy itself was not appeased. His smile that wished it was charismatic denied that he knew just yet, and the already gathered were trying to beat it in. "Are you lost, little boy?" Honey dripped words were a paradox to the snarl. His words made her pause for the sole reason of needing fuel to her fire, though any number of remarks drifted through her brain. "Your loyalty is inconvenient," words churned out of a machine, logic seemingly flawless, "therefore idiotic. Stupidity is not a element in here." The Motherland did not operate in such a fashion.

Chernobyl was stock still, a marble statue against the lovely forest backdrop. She did not let the Motherland's code of violence sink in just yet: while they may have to literally beat the message into this "Bluefire", now was not quite the time. Instead, the sickly layers of boredom that had built up in her demanded something amusing, something more than just tireless "Borders are closed. Leave. Borders are closed. Leave."

"Run."

She wanted to play a game.

as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »
While the additional company was anything but pleasant, for Skyzhara rarely found socialization with her packmates to be an enjoyable experience, as they had the tendency to talk obsessively and portray themselves as arrogant or foolish creatures, there remained a certain level of comfort in the knowledge that Alteron had retained at least some strength and organization. These wolves knew that this "BlueFire" didn't belong, and from what she could tell, they were prepared to deal with the issue as "appropriate."

In all truth, the hellhound would have been satisfied with sending this male wolf on his way by word alone. He wasn't worth the effort of fighting; there was no pride to be had in defeated an idiot in battle, and even a cannibal would have difficulty finding any semblance of value to his hide. At the moment he turned back around from his retreat and retorted, 'Why is it that you don't think of me as a pack-wolf,' he had solidified violence as inevitable. He couldn't just walk away, now, not because he'd angered the Dame - she couldn't care less about him, really, and sent him away from the pack lands out of duty and boredom rather than any great loyalty to the royal family - but because now, in the presence of two other members of Alteron, he'd tempted Fate one too many times. Skyzhara knew, without knowing the specific personalities of her "companions," that they were bound to react, and soon. Such was the norm for those who lived in the jungle of hell.

'Run.'

And so it began. The mystery female, greyscale and scarred, who spent a brief moment acknowledging Skyzhara respectfully despite their lack of acquaintance, completed her little "speech" with a command to the trespasser. BlueFire would run, or he would die. There was no obligation to join in the game Chernobyl had arranged for the group; inactivity could be justified to her superiors if necessary. Still, something within her, perhaps an innate sense that sought to act before Thought could dissuade the mind, brought her into an immediate lunge for the enemy, in attempt to throw him to the ground or at least damage him with her feline claws.

That's what he was now. An enemy... Prey. And they would finish him.
as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 01:16:34 PM »
BlueFire, being a swift and agile fighter from heart, quickly dodged this feline's sudden attempt to attack, her claws going right for his precious face. With a snarl coming out of his mouth and his teeth bared, BlueFire took one final glance at these three dark and evil souls; he could see the hatred rushing through their veins. He trotted away; his fur on end on his neck. He was set aflame by these wolves..and felines. Fire rushed in his heart; heat pulsed through his veins. His eyes were an inferno. Trotting away, he quickened his pace greatly, running with the winds.

He was away from the borders. He was on unmarked land now. "Safe. I am safe..." And with that, he went on his exit from these lands of hatred. He was free as always.
as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 01:16:56 PM »
((Sky's a hellhound, not a feline.))

"Why is it that you don't think of me as a pack-wolf?"

Kiakime had known the rules, and so she had held back.  The she-wolf, her once-warm fire chilling to the Alteronian room temperature, had not yet been brazen enough to attack.  He had to have one chance to run, one chance to do nothing but run, and so she had given it to him with her actions.  Her words had been meant as final, her wisp of warning, supplementing the elegant hellhound's, a last snarl before attack.

Once, she would have been too unsure of herself, would have questioned the Ska-wolf (whose name still escaped her) as she had questioned Skirr in recruitment.  He had breathed "Impress me" and her first reaction had been to ask what would suffice, not to jump into the fray as Varg had, that battle-scarred vetean who fought her almost to the point of losing the use of her legs.  But was the yearling more Kiakime now, or more Varg? More idealism, or more action? More sure of her steps, her actions.

"Safe. I am safe..."

"Like hell you are."

She knew that this wolf had been given his one chance and had flaunted it, lost it.  The idiot pranced over the border, thinking that they couldn't follow, and the old Kiakime would have turned hesitantly to that Ska and the new White Hand (a frightening she-wolf, like a ghost, and instantly she had felt a sense of awe towards the other -- would they interact more, as they met here? Part of her hoped for it) and asked, in a soft, uncertain voice, if it was okay to cross the border.

But this Kiakime lunged without hesitation, hind legs digging into the muck, propelling herself at the intruder with gaping jaws.  Her golden eyes blazed with a fierce...joy.  That was the heart of the change.  That she could see the vital spots, as if they were highlighted and glowing, strike to hit them, and love the violence.  Was this the game that the eerie white wolf purred of?

This intruder clearly thought that he was a good fighter, with the way he dodged one wolf's direct attack.  It sickened her, made the pup's lip curl with disgust, because he...wasn't.  Not compared to the killing machine that was Varg, the controlled time bomb that was Lief Skirr, or even that mad Soldier Talon.

"If you want that game, Lady Chernobyl, all of us at once."  The yearling breathed the words -- but she wasn't even a yearling anymore, was she? Time had passed in Alteron, despite the permanent dusky twilight that the canopy created, blotting out the sunlight.  A year and two months, now.  Two months, a lifetime, it all seemed the same in this lifeless jungle.

As she leapt, she suddenly remembered.

Skyzhara.  Her name is Skyzhara.
as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »
The action was instantaneous, the hellhound and intruder moving in sync, and the pale body exploding just a moment afterward. The border sparkled in her eyes like some beacon of despair, wild expression exploding into the scarred face. He would not escape - NO ONE ESCAPED. It was impossible, they said, it was impossible! The so called border formed nothing short of a wall, enforced in fangs and blood. Her face twisted into an instinctual snarl made for use, not expression, scars contorting like buboes of some plague. She let nothing escape from that twisted muzzle, not the slightest of hisses nor guttural rumbles; she was not an assassin, and had no need for silence. However, the growls and cries of battle tended to be dead weight.

"Safe. I am safe..."

"Your judgment is off."

As if spring-loaded, she bounded forward where the Dame had missed. Flecks of dirt and dead leaves fluttered up suddenly as pale grey paws pounded down on the forest floor, fueling her lunge into something horrific. Yellow fangs were coated with a layer of saliva like venom on snake's fangs, said liquid forming in gossamer strands that broke in thin air. Not for long, though: her plan was to snap down on the leg of the male (which leg made little difference), then pull sharply. If successful, the result would likely end in the intruder on the ground and vulnerable to any attack.

"If you want that game, Lady Chernobyl, all of us at once."

The beldame spun swiftly on the youth behind her, not stopping to stare or say anything. Dainty feet barely touched the ground, as the space between them could not be more than the length of a wolf. She reacted instantly, (hopefully) bloodied teeth turning against Kiakime in an act of something similar to discipline. It was no crippling nor fatal wound, to be sure, and her aim was lazy and broad; while her intent was to score the bridge of the orange muzzle, drawing blood from anywhere would be satisfactory. Actions screaming HOW DO YOU KNOW MY NAME , perhaps a clearer and more beneficial message than words might have been. The inflicted wound would fit in smoothly with the point of the gathering; after all, violence begets violence.

Game? Who'd say anything about a game? After all, games implied rules.

as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 01:20:37 PM »
((Oops, sorry, Spear.  Just mentioning to show that the intruder isn't a first-time offender.  Deleting now.))

Out of the corner of her eye, Kiakime saw the white she-wolf lunge beside her, silently snarling, paws slamming into the rotting earth.  Assuaged that she was supported and that the hunt was on, the she-wolf focused on the angle of her leap to --

The blow was completely unexpected.  Without warning, the Hand landed and whirled, turning on the spot with a frightening accuracy, her momentum shifting into a lunge at the Peasant.  If she had struck to kill, she would have accomplished her goal, for the target didn't even see the split-second movement as much as she felt the sudden blaze across the top of her muzzle.  Wetness, not just welling up but trickling down into the open mouth and for a second there was puzzlement -- what had just hit her?

Then, realization, as Kiakime's leap skewed and landed to the left of her target instead, sending leaves scattering with much less grace than the wraith beside her, sending drops of blood scattering.  The mark itself didn't hurt, yet, though it would sting later (would it scar? She didn't know) for sure.  Her expression never changed, less out of stoicism than out of the sheer speed and transcience of the moment; only when Kiakime landed did the mad glow in those golden eyes disappear and that brow half-draw up with question.

But she could almost thank Chernobyl, for the shock of the punishment drew her from her violent daze, brought her back into herself as if ascending from deep waters. 

For a second the she-wolf was still confused, then she realized -- the name.  The Hand wouldn't know of her, a lowly peasant (well, now she did), or how Kiakime's duration in Alteron had been spent so far.

Which was, to say, that she'd spent her time lurking and listening, observing, catching snatches of conversation by the river area. A brush with Blade, a misstep with Talon, but really, very little time spent socializing.

As a consequence, she overheard a great deal, and at the same time, barely enough to sustain the yearling.  She knew who Chernobyl was, who Katana was, who Scimitar was -- heard snatches of names and descriptions, events that were going on now, past events, normal conversation that others probably took for granted -- but, for example, she had no idea whether Chernobyl was kind or vicious, sane or insane, what exactly a White Hand did and whether she would attack the intruder next or continue to attack Kiakime.

Yet somehow, she felt no indignation at the blow.  It brought her back to herself, and really, it was somewhat deserved. For a second, the pup couldn't believe that she -- a Peasant! -- had been the one to call the attack against the intruder.

If she were less keen on the hunt now, she would have turned and slunk away in embarrassment, but instead, she simply whirled and continued another attack against the intruder, aiming for his throat this time with her fangs.
as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
((Okay, Sky. That gives me much more optimism then.))

BlueFire, running the fastest his strong and muscular legs could take them, ran with the winds that led him throughout the lands of Alteron. His eyes watered from the winds blowing against them. He never intended on blinking as much, for as one blink could ruin it for him. He heard pounding paws behind him. Looking over his shoulder, he saw his pursuers racing to catch up to him. He thought of the worst to happen. "I will not be pessimistic! I must carry on with this!"  His paws sharply increased in speed, hardly even touching the moist earth beneath them. BlueFire lowered his running stance slightly to gain even more speed. Even though he was running extremely fast(faster than he ever thought he would go), he wasn't out of this frightening ordeal yet. He wasn't in the clear.

He continued to run, never knowing where he would go. He didn't dare turn his head left or right, for that would surely decrease his speed. He carried on as far as his legs could take him; the run wasn't over yet. His speed decreased. He had become slightly tired after running for so long. But he was running for his life, and he couldn't dare stop. He would stop at nothing to keep his position and stay true to his heart. He picked up speed even more, leaving the attackers in the dust. But that would soon change.

Flying over the moist jungle earth, he still ran, never intending on stopping. In the corner of his eye, though, he saw a large orange blur. He increased speed now. Sharply turning his head, he realized it was Kiakime, one of his attackers. In a split second, he quickly avoided her sudden attack, attempting to aim at his sleek throat. How thankful he was for agility inherited from his father! He swiftly dodged her flimsy attack, and attempted to rip her precious tongue out of her mouth as she aimed at him, her mouth wide open.

as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 01:21:07 PM »
The next few seconds were a blur in the grand scheme of memories; there was no thought to the proceedings, only action and the instinct that fueled the action. Skyzhara understood war, and in a way the fight in which she participated was an insult to her knowledge and background. Very little organization existed between the three Alteron residents as they attacked this lone, trespassing male. He should have been down by now...

Of course, it didn't help that both of her teammates took the time to talk in the middle of all of this. That was one thing the hellhound find incredibly obnoxious, people who talked too much. It was distracting and useless. Neither did it help that the white female, whose name was apparently Chernobyl, had turned against their orange-brown ally. This attack Skyzhara vaguely perceived while continuing to focus her attention on the real enemy; what her silly little group decided to do instead of finishing BlueFire was their own decision.

It took a great deal of running to keep up with the male. He'd ran far before slowing down and dodging Kiakime's lunge. His next action suggested he wanted to damage her face or tongue; the Lady of War did not care if it reached his target. This meant he was preoccupied with something else. How stupid of him, to not make his movements count, when he had so few opportunities left. Such an attack couldn't possibly debilitate; at most, it was a pitiful attempt at drawing blood, and in all reality, it would probably lead to his death.

As he made his attack, Skyzhara came in from the side with the intention of biting down near the back of his throat and, simultaneously, using that leverage to dig her maneuverable front claws into his body. She was big, she was strong, and she wanted to take this fool down.
as before I went under

Offline Kiakime

• Master
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 01:21:35 PM »
In the midst of BlueFire's attack on the female, he saw a huge figure heading straight for his side. He had no intentions of attacking two wolves at once, but he decided that his fate wasn't going to be dying. Quickly, he thought of a chain attack to do.

Building up strength, he lunged at the large wolf; they were face to face. In a split second, he attempted to target his face, going for his nose. If done correctly, BlueFire would rip this male's nose to shreds, and quickly fend off the other attacker. If BlueFire got injured, it wouldn't matter to him now, for it would be on his face, and not any other place. If the other attacker attacked him, going for his throat, that would be another story.

This was the time to decide his fate. Would he die? Or would he survive this pathetic group of wolves?
as before I went under