Author Topic: i'm being perfectly effing civil [ RIII / CROATOAN ]  (Read 332 times)

Offline North.

• Saboro
  • Regular
  • dangernoodle
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 13
i'm being perfectly effing civil [ RIII / CROATOAN ]
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »

North had always been one to hold a grudge. It ran in the family, really. He recalled his mother's spitefulness when he had been young. It had been a strange thing to see from such a warm-hearted woman, but it was less peculiar coming from him. He was cold to the core, frosty with paranoia and mistrust. It made him alert: you could never be disappointed, or fooled, if you expected the worst from someone. Perhaps that was one of the things that made him efficient at his job. Perhaps it was one of the reasons he was still alive. But some grudges simply made no sense to hold onto, as bitter as he was.

Croatoan was one of them.

Pacing towards the inner circles, the tracker made his way towards the Vulture's den. She was often there: her job kept her rooted, and he'd heard rumours of pregnancy. Truly, it had been one of the things that had pushed him to seek her out. It was something they finally had common ground over. She had cornered him, accused him, even snapped at him, but even Nero seemed to be forgiving her. It frustrated him, a little, but he listened to his husband. Though his pride stung deeply, he had come to offer her an apology.

"Croatoan," he called, peering around the Harpy clearing, listening to the distant sounds of children barking and biting, trying to make out the Doberman's voice among them. "Are you here?"

The moment he saw her, his skin began to crawl. He forcibly stopped himself from turning and simply walking away, swallowing his bitterness like bile and feeling his tongue go dry. He inhaled deeply, chewing on his words, before finally blurting them out.

"I'm sorry. For Petronius. For the incident at the swamp. For everything," ouch, his ego, "My husbands and I slighted you. Disrespected you, in your position. It was wrong of us. Of... me." He had to look away. The mismatched eyes flitted to the ground, unable to meet her gaze as the hairs on the back of his neck bristled with well-disguised irritation. He didn't enjoy being wrong. A small huff escaped him. For all the words had been difficult to say, they had alleviated a burden he hadn't even realised he'd been carrying.

Offline Croatoan.

• VULTURE
  • Saboro
  • Regular
  • tall. proud. doberman
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: i'm being perfectly effing civil [ RIII / CROATOAN ]
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:46:12 AM »
She was taken with a company not entirely unwelcome, though wary of his appearance.  The vulture was known to be cruel and cold, and yet look at the fine young adults that now flourished and fed the masses now.  The shame of the many people that hailed her as a failure would bury in their shame in time.  Even now, the heavily pregnant vulture sat within the clearing, atop a bed of clover that surrounded the bare patch of dust and daisies.  Children snapped harshly at each others' ears, a loud yelp screeching into the air.  "Not so hard," the woman barked, narrowing scarlet-outlined blues.  Angled face, painted in oily primaries, turned to the blue-and-black harpy of hers, jaw clenched as the voice of that jackdaw pierced her ears.

She'd let North come to her, half-lidded eyes sweeping across his merle coat.  What a nice rug that'd make -- but the man was much too skinny to cover any ground.  Two thinly built hounds, standing eye-to-eye, even aquamarine against the mismatched butterscotch and blue.  She no longer shook with the extra weight she carried; she had proven them wrong with her aging.  Even now, her long muzzle rewarded with only a small patch of grey at her nose, she looked just as she was.  An adult in her prime, the outer corners of her eyes wrinkled with the many smiles that she'd blessed in her long life.  Almost seven years?  It was a strange world they lived in.  She had seen it all.  Her mother had sat along with the fringe dires of Inaria, tattooed a venomous green along her eyes.

Now she carried the family tradition with tattoos of her own, and in a sense she felt accomplished.  But there was a family that wronged her, and the prideful one of the bunch had come to bestow his apologies to the senior.  "I'm sorry. For Petronius. For the incident at the swamp. For everything," and she could see it, she could see the regret in his sincere apology.  "My husbands and I slighted you. Disrespected you, in your position. It was wrong of us. Of... me."  Ah... that must have been hard to say.

The man couldn't even bear to meet her eyes.  To see if she accepted his apology.  But, unlike some, she could afford to forgive.  Even though she had been horrendously wronged (that family did barely a scratch to her iron hide) many times in her long life, she had room in her heart to nod, to glance down at his bowed head.

Yes, it would be beneficial of her to goad the boisterous family to her aid, wouldn't it?  A nearby Blackwall knew the inner workings of her mind; even many feet away, she could feel how the two understood each other.  How dastardly she could be, and he would wave a hand to excuse it all.  Anything to make her look perfect in his mind.  Her voice ripped colder than when she spoke to the children.  Because this was not a child.  No matter how childish they'd acted in the past.

"I accept," she said carefully, articulating those words until her lax accent vanished and bright blues watched the hellion carefully.  Just in case it was all a trick.  "It did quite... a number to my reputation.  Even now, some see me as incompetent."  She snorted.  "I sat in a meeting and allowed each of the council to tell me I was bad for my job," she scolded.  But she was sure North wanted to hear no more than those first few words.  So she bottled the absinthe and smiled sweetly.  "But I've seen much, much worse, darlin'."  She'd lean forward and swipe a kiss over his brow, not thinking that maybe normal people didn't kiss other people.

Ah, well.  She'd never been known to hold a normal impulse control.  She beckoned him to sit, to watch the youngsters play.  A day in her life, yes?  "You love your family so much," she admired.  I can't relate.

She wanted to know more.

"I wasn't born wit' the... maternal instinct."  She shifted until her back leg pressed against her belly, anything to make her closer to those babies.  She wished so badly that she could feel that vicious need to protect.  But she felt nothing. "What's it... what's it like?" 

Tell me.  Please.  Had Petronius been hers, she would have killed him in a heartbeat.  But North didn't.  Because he loved his children.  And she so desperately wanted to love the bundles that grew within her.  Did her indifference of her own babes make her truly as terrible as some thought?

They didn't know it when they turned me loose
I shot the sheriff and I slipped the noose
The law ain't never been a friend of mine
I would kill again to keep from doing time
You should never ever trust my kind

profile . player . bin

[9:04:47 PM] hot homeless dad: cro effing rushes in with a butcher knife and an apron
[9:04:50 PM] hot homeless dad: IM GONNA CULL IT!!!!!!

Offline North.

• Saboro
  • Regular
  • dangernoodle
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: i'm being perfectly effing civil [ RIII / CROATOAN ]
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:50:39 PM »
nudge 4 self to reply to this