Author Topic: the butterfly effect [ACCEPTANCE]  (Read 614 times)

Offline Grandpa Ophi

• King Scimitar
  • Master
  • mr self destruct.
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 69
the butterfly effect [ACCEPTANCE]
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:50:32 PM »
The first time he stepped upon these hallowed grounds, Scimitar set in motion the events that completely and utterly transfigured the political landscape of the straits. Together with Rapier, they set up the assassinations of her newborn competitors, banished the blackbloods to the desert for years, founded the kingdom of Alteron after Rapier failed at Inaria's takeover, and started a war with Stoneclaw. Inaria, Alteron, Stoneclaw, the Outlands of the blackbloods... they all set the standard for every other nation that followed. It was no secret to Scimitar that almost every single creature that breathed has been influenced by the fallen king.

A butterfly fluttered into the sunlight. The purple leaves sung. The world wasn't as young as it was back then. He wasn't as young as he was back then. After several months of much-needed deliberation among the now deserted desert, he decided that this was the place he needed to be.

This time, he was going to see what he could do if he stepped past Inaria's borders.

He wasn't going to go too far into the borders. After all, with how much time has past, Inaria could be utterly demolished and overtaken by savages. Only a couple feet in was a pitifully small stream. With as much exuberance as his old joints could muster, he scrambled towards it and began drinking greedily. He even began wagging his tail.

As he drank openly, enthusiastically, he would wait.

(I wrote backstory that I consider headcanon, but idk if it is canon, so if it isn't, just... roll with it LMAO. also, I don't think this is a problem in the current year, but please don't roleplay your sparklewolf to magically know he's Scimitar and evil and has bad intentions and stuff. anyway let's do this.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:52:08 PM by Grandpa Ophi »

if I were you I wouldn't trust
a single word I say.
think by now you should know
nothing's gonna change.

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
  • Liked: 926
  • Likes Given: 898
Re: the butterfly effect [ACCEPTANCE]
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »
The maroon female noticed the motion as she stood within the trees.

Moons was often on patrol around the borders, and she knew every single path around them. Ever since she had been accepted into this pack during Ephraim's reign, she had made it her goal to learn the ways in and around Inaria. Over the years of making this purple forested land her home, she had done just that. Perhaps even more than the sentries that ruled the borders, Moons knew the paths around the outside of the pack. They were a vital defense, and she would not leave it all on the shoulders of the members to ensure the safety. She might be the beta of the pack, but she was a member just the same.

So that was why she was here, hidden in the shadows of the trees. The filtered light flickered over her maroon and gray pelt, assisting in the camouflage. But her worry wasn't on her cover; it was on the male before her now, entering their lands and taking a drink. She had no idea who this was. The coat wasn't familiar, nor was the face. But he was still a newcomer who had crossed the borders and gone to take a drink in the nearby stream that ran along a portion of the borders of the pack. It was an attraction indeed for those who were thirsty.

The real question was whether it was ignorance or arrogance that guided him.

Moons was cautious only because of her own experience throughout her years serving this purple land. So as she stepped out, her ears swiveled and her tail hung at a balance between dominance and submission; a median in which she wasn't throwing around her weight, but still sending a message that she wasn't one to roll belly up. "Good afternoon," she said, a friendly tone in her voice despite the precautions circling her mind. "Is there something I can help you with, sir?" Yes, she was aware he was within the border lines.

But sometimes the obvious didn't have to be pointed out.
Link to bin~

Characters I Actively Role-play: Moons | Corvus |Rykryk | Flamestorm | Seven |Yoki | Phoenix | Electra | Coronach | Cruciatus | Zodiac | Tide | Skylar
Been on IDS since: January 26th 2008

Offline Grandpa Ophi

• King Scimitar
  • Master
  • mr self destruct.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »
While he was greedily drinking up the small stream, he noticed a wolf emerge. Red, blue... tattoos? No, she's much too small to be a blackblood, they had to be something else. But still, would poor old Grandpa Ophi observe such a detail? And after all, what an interesting way to first establish himself, hm?

As she finished her inquiries, he hastily stepped from the stream, water still dripping off his grayed muzzle.

"Oh my! I'm terribly sorry, dear, I didn't mean to overstep!" and after all, when had he ever meant to overstep? "I had just come from the desert, and, well, I'm sure you understand." Would she catch on to what he was implying? If not, he'd make it extra clear. For a moment, he'd simply stare blankly, pleasantly comfortable but spacing out on what exactly he was asked. More importantly, he was taking in her form. The way she carried herself... certainly no mere subordinate, but probably not the ruler. After a moment of silence, he shook his head in chiding laughter towards himself.

"Where are my manners?" He dipped his head in respect, full of mirth. "I'm Ophidian, but you can just call me Grandpa Ophi, dear."

Oh, if Rapier saw him now, she'd be rolling her eyes. And now, for the finishing touch - a solid lock of eyes as he smiled. Could anyone doubt these happy, old, honest eyes? He'd forgotten how fun it was to play up the niceties. Being a sovereign ruler demanded so much stoicism to keep the peons under control. It was taxing.

"You know, I think it's quite ironic," he noted, "that I went to meet a blackblood at their oasis, but ended up finding one inside Inaria!"

Oops.

a single word I say.
nothing's gonna change.

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:28:22 PM »
As she spoke, the older man stepped away from the water and looked to her.

"Oh my! I'm terribly sorry, dear, I didn't mean to overstep!" As proven, sometimes the obvious didn't need to be pointed out. So he realized he had gone over the borders. Moons wasn't surprised, though she still did give a cordial nod to the male. "I had just come from the desert, and, well, I'm sure you understand." Ahh, the desert. Moons nodded her head once more. "I'm glad you were able to get a drink, sir," she commented, knowing how easy it was to get dehydrated when exposed to that much heat. Especially for the older wolves.

Moons looked at him just as much as he looked at her, and she wondered where exactly he had come from. Other than the desert, of course. So many beings came from around the world to live in Inaria. "Would you like to see a healer?" she offered with a slight tilt of the head. "Sometimes that dry heat can be overwhelming." It only took a single trip into the sandy dunes to realize that.

Then he laughed. "Where are my manners? I'm Ophidian, but you can just call me Grandpa Ophi, dear." Grandpa Ophi... cute little nickname. Moons smiled at him. "Pleasure to meet you, Grandpa Ophi," she replied, tail swaying behind her. It was like talking to her own grandfather, the way he chose the name he preferred to use. It opened a sense of... familiarity between the two. "I'm Moons." Did he know he was at Inaria, though?

You know, I think it's quite ironic, that I went to meet a blackblood at their oasis, but ended up finding one inside Inaria![/i]" A blackblood inside... Moons then remembered the markings that led to many a question in her life, and she laughed. It was her turn to sound amused at what he had said. "I can see where the confusion may lie," she admitted, smiling at him. "But I'm not a Fringe Dire. I do not bear tattoos; they are markings." Would he catch on to the alternate name for them? It fell easy on her tongue due to time using it. But it might not be the case for others.
Link to bin~

Characters I Actively Role-play: Moons | Corvus |Rykryk | Flamestorm | Seven |Yoki | Phoenix | Electra | Coronach | Cruciatus | Zodiac | Tide | Skylar

Offline Grandpa Ophi

• King Scimitar
  • Master
  • mr self destruct.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:04:52 PM »
"Moons... what a beautiful name." Scimitar smiled softly.

As Moons laughed at his "error," he was beginning to piece together just what sort of wolf she was. Kind, incredibly so. Too kind for his tastes, but more importantly, too kind for anything particularly overt if he revealed his true nature. She was likely well-loved, for, after all, he could not deny her charisma and sweetness. Certainly not stupid, either, but if they bonded, would maybe step to defend him if an unfortunate slip-up happened.

Interesting.

He filed it away as she mentioned the term "Fringe dire." Was that what they were calling blackbloods now? He cocked his head in confusion, Grandpa Ophi a little taken aback.

"Fringe... dire... ?" He shook his head, brows furrowing, as if to try and recall the term from his travels. "I'm sorry, dear, I've never heard of that term. Is that what the blackbloods are called in Inaria?"

And then, a nod of regret. "And, my apologizes for mistaking you for a blackbl-" a cough, "Fringe dire." He shifted his paws in the dirt, embarrassed, yet trying to hide it. Ophi wasn't too comfortable to feel weak in front of someone younger, after all. And didn't he want to be seen as knowledgeable and deserving get into Inaria? Shame on you, Grandpa Ophi.

No matter. Scimitar would let his new friend Moons take the reigns now. After all, why rush such a fascinating conversation?

a single word I say.
nothing's gonna change.

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:44:50 PM »
"Moons... what a beautiful name." The maroon female reflected the soft smile, and she tilted her head in a 'thank you' gesture. "Thank you," she added, taking the compliment. She thought her name was rather ordinary, but she didn't voice that to others. It was touching when others found her name to be unique or beautiful, as Grandpa Ophi put it. Truth be told, it lifted her spirits to hear it.

Speaking of Grandpa Ophi, he now tilted his head, looking confused. Was it something she said? "Fringe... dire... ?" Hm, yes. Even if it was a natural term by now for Inarians to use them, she couldn't expect the rest of the world to know about it or be familiar enough to use it. Before she could explain though, he said something else. "I'm sorry, dear, I've never heard of that term. Is that what the blackbloods are called in Inaria?" Now she nodded, seeing he had put two and two together. A smart cookie, though she wasn't surprise in the least. It told of intelligence behind those wizened eyes.

"Yes," she answered the man. So he did know where he was. "Inaria changed the term to Fringe Dire to try and move past the old... conflicts history holds of the pack." The stories weren't exactly secret. The tales had spread around the lands, which is part of what made some flock to her home to seek refuge. Some considered Inaria heroic. Others considered them hateful. The history books, however, only told one side of the story. It was usually the winner's side, too.

Moons refocused on Ophi. "And, my apologizes for mistaking you for a blackbl- Fringe dire." Her ears perked, shaking her own head now. "Oh no it doesn't bother me at all, Grandpa Ophi," she assured the older male, tail swaying gently behind her as she smiled at him. "Rather, it gives me topics of conversation to share with others. Though admittedly it did cause quite a stir when I first joined the pack." She remembered those times fondly, and frankly she never found it an insult to be 'mistaken' for a Blackblood or a Fringe Dire.

"Tell me though. Were you perhaps seeking Inaria for a purpose?" Shelter, maybe? A re-acquaintance? Certainly he had mentioned the water after the desert, but he spoke of Inaria like it was a common term on his tongue. So perhaps he was already acquainted with the pack. At least perhaps with some of it's inhabitants.
Link to bin~

Offline Grandpa Ophi

• King Scimitar
  • Master
  • mr self destruct.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 10:06:47 PM »
So, she was able to take a compliment. Confident. Well-adjusted. Briefly, Scimitar noted of how little room he'd have at trying to twist her into something broken, battered, a little more useful, but no matter. Swimming through bedrock was not beyond his skill.

Grandpa Ophi listened to her explanations, attentive as ever. So, Alteron wasn't the only pack that had moved on from the petty feud surrounding "Fringe dires." He really should have had a few plants in Inaria while he was ruling. Maybe if he had, his Kingdom wouldn't have come crumbling down. No, he thought, reconsidering. Alteron was inadvertently doomed. A precarious side effect of wielding an iron rule through his dear departed Queen was that her departure spelled a tumultuous unwinding. Ophi's eyes widened at her story that it caused unrest back when she was new. So, not native born, but an old hand nonetheless.

Ah, at last, the question he was waiting for. After all, wasn't this supposedly step one? But he never really warranted the most placid path forward, did he? Either way, Grandpa Ophi uttered a slightly shaky chuckle. After all, he was little nervous, knowing that now is the time he's been preparing himself for. The dreaded interview.

"Oh dear, I'm afraid you've made a horrible mistake, Moons," he began, still smiling, eyes shyly sweeping down to stare at the grass, "to give an old wolf like me free reign to talk."

He let out a sigh. He tipped his head up towards the canopy, silent in thought, to see the sunlight streaming through the branches. Inaria was always so still. Idyllic. In some respects, it was no less dangerous than Alteron itself. It was made in its image, after all, a macabre parody that only brought Inaria's cracks to the surface to fissure. Here, however, the violence lay in the quiet.

The illusion of tranquility.

"When I was a child," he began, still staring upward, voice miles away, "there were only two names us vagabonds knew."

"Inaria," a leaf began to fall, "and Stoneclaw."

The leaf flittered rich burgandy. Scimitar watched its slow descent a moment before continuing.

"Back then, the divides between us wolves were stronger, the barriers to entry higher. For a timber wolf family to attempt to join the lands dominated by the larger dire wolves, well." Scimitar looked back down then, made eye contact with Moons. His expression was unreadable, eyes still in a time long since passed.

"Perhaps you know better than most about the elitism Inaria once ascribed to." A reference to their earlier conversation. A connection back to the present. A chance for her to speak. Camaraderie.

"When I had grown, I wandered on my own for a time," he continued, "until stumbling upon the marshes. You know of them?"

Regardless of her answer, he pressed on, voice growing shaky again. He was scared to reveal this part, but he had to. He had to. He liked Moons, respected her, and she had to know who he was, who he truly was. Grandpa Ophi was afraid, but unyielding. What an honest character he was now. How fun!

"There was a pack. They were rather... attuned to violence." And now came the lying. This was the important part, to interweave truth and fantasy.

"It was not long before I was among their ranks." He knew just where to take this now.

"I was not much of a fighter, but its alpha, Ghost," there was venom in how he said it, controlled but not contained. He did not look upon this alpha fondly, although he certainly had at the time. And after all, would it really be a complete story without one reference to his old work, to the White Hand, to Hartigan? "saw something in me. In my mind, rather."

There was silence, now. The wind whistled quietly. Grandpa Ophi did not like this part of his past, was ashamed of it. While unspoken, it was obvious.

There was blood on this old man's hands.

Grandpa Ophi closed his eyes now, flattened his ears. Scimitar could almost picture this alpha now, giving him the rank with grandiose bravado, demanding only but the best from him. He could feel the long, grueling hours Ophidian would have put into it, in training their ranks, in mentoring the new, so youthful and powerful and blindly loyal. He was something, forged from nothing. A classic case to be found in Alteron, surely.

Grandpa Ophi furrowed his brows, shut his eyes tighter.

"I did such," and he caught himself, voice slightly cracking, "terrible things, Moons."

He couldn't continue the story, now. He couldn't open his eyes to meet her gaze. He had to see where she would take this next, when he was vulnerable, whether she would kick him out now or find him despicable. His head hung low, eyes barely opened now, staring at the floor. The leaf had long since landed, lying close to his feet. He stared at it absently, the other leaves still rustling above him.

The Inarian sunlight still shined.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:09:12 PM by Grandpa Ophi »

a single word I say.
nothing's gonna change.

Offline Memes

• Apprentice
  • previously Script.
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 08:59:51 AM »
(do you want to continue this here or on the new forum? if the latter, I'll repost the last post I made over there. up to you, though!)