Author Topic: The World's Greatest Adventurer | Open  (Read 359 times)

Offline Angus

• Initiate
  • This is your personal text.
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 20
The World's Greatest Adventurer | Open
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:56:18 PM »
"I'm off- I'm going on an adventure!"
That was three days ago.

The morning sun rose high in to the sky as mid afternoon began to creep in slowly but soundly to the world below. The foliage that covered most of this part of the world kept the sun from warming the earth too much, but even today it was warmer than necessary. Birds and other small creatures chirped and chattered amongst themselves as they spectated a quite unusual sight. Below them with a small wet nose pressed to the ground wandered a small dire pup. His fur was curly and shaggy (much unlike other dire wolves that roamed the area) and his attention was attuned to something more interesting than the critters in the branches.

A young pup named Angus was hot on the trail of discovery (because of course he was) and that discovery had led him far from his home. He'd noticed yesterday that he had wandered too far from the den his family had been temporarily occupying, but even with the dreaded thought of being separated from them didn't wane too heavily in his brain as the itching desire to follow the strange smells encapsulating the rest of the world pulled his small legs ever forward to a destination unknown.

He pressed onward as the day grew in to itself, only pausing momentarily as he lost the scent that he'd been following before picking it back up and continuing on his way. These woods were quiet and peaceful and quite frankly friendlier than the den his family had held. At four months he was slowly growing in to his inquisitive self and it was perhaps more an accident than anything that he allowed his curiosity to wash over him instead of learning to hunt and play like the rest of his litter mates. In fact, he remembered quite clearly that he had announced to his mother on the day of his departure, ' Mom! Mom I'm...I'm off-I'm going on an adventure!"

She had, of course, dismissed him and the idea because he was merely a pup and honestly how far was he going to go? They would all find out that he had done better than anyone had hoped. In his first day, Angus had crossed through much of the open valley near his den and through several small creeks of water, pacing and covering every inch of ground with his nose. At first his adventure was merely wandering and taking in the already all too familiar sights and sounds of the allowed 'exploration' area; but that soon came to pass as a new scent entered his small nose. It was different and strong. It satiated the part of his brain that yearned for real adventure and it was something new and possibly exciting. Angus took off in one direction after that and never looked back.

Well, until now.

The pup's head lifted with a start as he came to a stop, his stomach grumbling loudly and causing him to wince slightly at the remembrance that he hadn't eaten in some time. True enough he was still too young to hunt properly, but he had seen his litter mates practice their skills every now and then. Angus, however, was almost inept at the idea and concept of hunting another living thing. He looked around, his ears lowering against his skull as he looked frantically now for his parents and a way back home. When no signs pointed the 'world's greatest adventurer' to home, he knew he would have to take matters in to his own hands.

Angus huffed, heading towards the next sign of water. Perhaps he could catch mice like his litter mates. Perhaps he could learn to do what they did. Perhaps he could really call himself the greatest adventurer of them all. Honestly- how hard could it be?
Hello, sirs!

Offline hyperion.

• Gemini
  • Apprentice
  • THE LIONHEART.
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 33
Re: The World's Greatest Adventurer | Open
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:13:45 AM »
The boys were always the first to leave the den, enticed by the welcoming sights, smells and sounds. He wasn't the first prince to leave his kingdom and he wouldn't be the last.

Hyperion had been watching the boy quietly, as he turned over stones and sniffed under logs just for the sake of exploration. He recalled his first few days outside of his home, filled with fear and anxiety and anger, but underneath all of that he was excited. For all the possibilities he could find, all the strangers (good or bad), and the fact that he could be whoever he wanted. He could become more than the boy who lost his brother, the boy who's mother was never there, a son lost amongst many children, he would become something more than that. He no longer had to worry about what his mother was doing, or pouting about what she wasn't. She would always be there, in the back of his mind, but she was safe.

She was healing.

And so was he.

The little ginger boy was on the move again, so the wayward prince began to follow, just as he had for his nieces and nephews. He could see the physical distress on the child's features, and Hyperion felt the urge to intervene. He always was too overprotective, but it was in his blood.

" Are you lost, lad? " The greyblue prince slithered from the behind the ancient oaks and made his way to the stranger. He got a closer look at the boy, who was much smaller and younger than him than he thought.

" I would ask 'where are your parents?', but.. I used to hear it all the time and got annoyed. I thought I was grown the day I was born, though. "

Offline Angus

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
Angus plodded along with the new one set track in mind to find a mouse. With nose to the ground and eyes set on a prize, he snuffled his way through the underbrush- for about two minutes.

"Are you lost, lad?"

The voice, calm and soothing pierced through the silence of the woodlands around him and the pups head shot up almost instantly. Large ears perked at attention flopped still at their tips, making his ears look far too big for his head. Angus turned, wide eyed and expectant to see this new visitor when the larger male appeared.

"Hello, sir!" came the small high pitched voice of the child. It was obvious that the pups vocals were still ever changing as he gave a small sneeze before looking back up and continuing.

"I-I'm not, I'm not....well I'm a little lost."came the slightly more boyish voice as he stammered through his sentence. His already large green eyes spotlighted by large dark circular marks around them. The doe eyes stared straight up at this newcomer, tail wagging happily at the sight of another just like him.

"I would ask 'where are your parents?', but.. I used to hear it all the time and got annoyed. I thought I was grown the day I was born, though."

Angus furrowed at this, though still happily wagging his small curly tail behind him.

"My- my parents are home, sir. I told them I was going on an adventure, see. So- so I went on an adventure but they're back home! Safe and sound! I'm just- I'm just out exploring. You know, adventuring!" Angus smiled again, though his smile was interrupted by a loud grumbling sound from his stomach. His ears flattened almost instantly as his grin turned sheepish and he looked down at the floor before back up at his new friend. Yeah, they were friends- he could tell.

"My name's Angus! And I'm very sorry sir but I am really hungry." He shifted on his paws expectantly before turning his small head behind him towards the area of land he'd just been inspecting. "I was on my way to find some food. I- I'm not a really good hunter. Not like my dad!
 But I was going- I'm going to try and- I'm going to go and hunt some mice. You're more than welcome to join me." Angus turned his head back with a small smile, tail still wagging as his stomach growled again.
Hello, sirs!

Offline hyperion.

• Gemini
  • Apprentice
  • THE LIONHEART.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 12:49:02 AM »
"Hello, sir!"

The pup yipped, and Hyperion couldn't help but smile. He hadn't seen a boy so young since Skylar and the rest of Lev's children, and the thought pained him. What kind of dad-uncle-sitter would they think he was now?! He abandoned them in their most influential stage of growth... well wasn't that a familiar tale? Like mother, like son. The wayward prince tried to force these cruel thoughts from his head and winked at the boy,

" Well aren't you well mannered! How dashing~ You may call me Hyperion, though. "

"I-I'm not, I'm not....well I'm a little lost."

The boy didn't seem in a state of panic, he seemed to be okay with being separated from his parents. Perhaps this was how the wild wolves raised their children, allowing them to venture far beyond the stretch of their den in order to prepare for their future as nomads. He remembered being confined to that hellish frozen island as a young boy, but it was a barrier that kept all 8 children safe, as long as they didn't wander too close to the rocky cliffs.

He walked closer to the ginger child with his elongated tail waving behind him amicably and a gentle smile on his face.

"My- my parents are home, sir. I told them I was going on an adventure, see. So- so I went on an adventure but they're back home! Safe and sound! I'm just- I'm just out exploring. You know, adventuring!"

Hyperion laughed, a hearty, deep laugh that resonated in his chest. " My my, we are very much the same lil' lad! I left my home so I could go on my own adventure as well! Your mother probably worries about you though, don't you think? "

I doubt my mother even knows I'm gone.

Thy boy, Angus, introduced himself after a loud pang of hunger struck his belly. He spoke more, hectically and loud as all children do, of hunting mice and the blue prince smiled. He never realized how happy being in the company of children made him, so unlike adults. Adults were so boring.

" Now Angus, a mouse is no meal! If you want to grow big and strong like me, you'll have to eat more than that. I can show you how to hunt rabbits, my older brothers taught me how and now I can pass their wisdom onto you! Do you accept this honor? "

Offline Angus

• Initiate
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »
Well aren't you well mannered! How dashing~ You may call me Hyperion, though. [...] My my, we are very much the same lil' lad! I left my home so I could go on my own adventure as well! Your mother probably worries about you though, don't you think?"

Angus' tail wagged happily back and forth as he stood there looking up at the larger wolf. Angus was just a small boy, and the thought that he could be so similar to the larger male who to him seemed untouchable and chaperone like made the pup beam. Yet as Hyperion continued, his face fell a bit at the mention of his mother.

"I think so. I miss my mom." Angus pawed at the dirt and the grass for a moment, his head falling as he thought of his family and where they could be. "I did- I went back to look for them earlier but I can't really seem to find my way and- and I'm not sure where they are. I mean, I'm sure they're home! Safe and sound! But...I don't remember where that is, exactly. I'm the greatest adventurer I know but I'm stumped." He looked back up to Hyperion, the tiniest smile returning to his face. "But I'm sure, I'm positive they're out looking for me. So maybe we can find them together! Then we can both be the greatest adventurers!" It was a juvenile thought to be sure, but nevertheless Angus felt safer? Relaxed? around this new male who was a lot friendlier than what his mother and father had made strangers out to be.  His stomach grumbled again as he sheepishly stood there, but the melodious voice of the other brought his attention back.

"Now Angus, a mouse is no meal! If you want to grow big and strong like me, you'll have to eat more than that. I can show you how to hunt rabbits, my older brothers taught me how and now I can pass their wisdom onto you! Do you accept this honor?"

The smile that crossed the pups face as those sentences were uttered would have resembled that of a human child being given a video game system or a brand new ice cream cone after one had been ruined by falling on the ground. In short- his face was bright and his eyes wide; mouth agape as he frantically nodded his little ginger head. That tiny little brain of his was already winding up as he thought not only of a good meal that was going to be on its way, but the fact that he would learn how to hunt properly. Sure it was a thing his siblings had done ever since they were allowed to leave the den, but for the young lad he never saw it being a skill he had needed until now. The best part, he would of course check off, was that this super cool and amazing wolf that he had just met was going to be the one to teach him!

"That would be most excellent, sir!-" he started, pausing a moment, blinking at the sentence before trying again. "That would be...most excellent, sir Hyperion!" The pup's butt wiggled more as he bounded a few paces, head snapping to look back at the larger wolf. The smile on his face remained as he looked back, all too happy to take up such a nice stranger's offer. Well, they weren't strangers anymore were they? They'd exchanged names after all! For the pup, that was good enough.

"My littler mates were better at this than me. They liked to practice." He scrunched his nose up slightly. "But I will- I can promise that I will do my very best!"
Hello, sirs!

Offline hyperion.

• Gemini
  • Apprentice
  • THE LIONHEART.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 11:40:51 PM »
The boy's expression became grim, and Hyperion's followed. He tried not to think of his mother, or of Gemini in general, but there were reminders everywhere he went. The grass wasn't as plush in the old woods, nor were the trees as green. And he'd yet to find anything that compared to the shade of emerald in Lea's eyes. Maybe he made a mistake leaving everything behind.

"I think so. I miss my mom. "

The older wayward prince drew a long breath, then thought to himself, I do too. He had long forgotten what Serrate's warmth was like, not even the day she rose from her comatose and marked each of her children with a kiss of blood. He closed his eyes for a few moments, then looked back to the boy with soft eyes.

"I did- I went back to look for them earlier but I can't really seem to find my way and- and I'm not sure where they are. I mean, I'm sure they're home! Safe and sound! But...I don't remember where that is, exactly. I'm the greatest adventurer I know but I'm stumped."

Hyperion was about to speak, until the boy excitedly kept talking, this time with a smirk growing on his tiny little face.

"But I'm sure, I'm positive they're out looking for me. So maybe we can find them together! Then we can both be the greatest adventurers!"

" I'll help you find them, don't you worry!! We'll be the greatest adventurers this world has ever seen!!! "

Angus' face lit up with delight at his mention of secret rabbit hunting skills, and Hyperion couldn't help but grin as well. He realized they really did have a lot in common, and Hyperion could see many traits of his own in the small ginger boy. Excitable, obviously the greatest adventurer in the world, unfettered, incredibly charming -- they were practically the same!!

"That would be...most excellent, sir Hyperion!"

Well... doesn't that just have a wonderful ring to it. He'd remember that title and carry it with him for many months to come. Sir Hyperion.

"My littler mates were better at this than me. They liked to practice. But I will- I can promise that I will do my very best!"

" Practice makes perfect and that's what we're doing!! I think you'll make a great student, Angus. " He said sincerely, then bounded towards the boy with his tail drifting behind him gracefully. " The trick is to sneak up as close as you can to the rabbits without scaring them away. They're fast little guys, so the closer you get, the easier it is to lunge without having to chase after them for a while. I'm obviously in prime condition to run for miles, but... I like my food easy. And this way makes it easier. " He hummed as they walked along, ears perked and eyes searching for any unlucky practice targets.

" Now, you'll have to learn how to sniff out a rabbit from far away. Do you know how to track them? "

Offline Angus

• Initiate
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 01:32:20 AM »
"I'll help you find them, don't you worry!! We'll be the greatest adventurers this world has ever seen!!! [...] Practice makes perfect and that's what we're doing!! I think you'll make a great student, Angus. "

The young pup nodded and wagged his tail furiously as he looked back up to the elder as they walked along. Angus' face beamed with excitement and genuine pride that he was going to learn this new skill, and with a new friend! Two positives in one day were bringing his initial dilemma of being lost to the back of his mind. The ginger pup bounded on ahead before pausing to look back as Hyperion made his way to closing the gap between them. He did this several times before the older male spoke once more.

"The trick is to sneak up as close as you can to the rabbits without scaring them away. They're fast little guys, so the closer you get, the easier it is to lunge without having to chase after them for a while. I'm obviously in prime condition to run for miles, but... I like my food easy. And this way makes it easier.Now, you'll have to learn how to sniff out a rabbit from far away. Do you know how to track them?"

"Understood!" he said as he gave a sharp nod. His nose crinkled as he narrowed his eyes and began scanning the area around them, sniffing the air and working himself up in to total concentration mode (which frankly wasn't hard to do). He sniffed the air for a few minutes before frowning and turning to Hyperion once more.

"Actually," he began, looking sheepish as he stopped in his tracks, "I'm not really sure how to track anything! Can you teach me? I'm sure that I'll- I'm going to learn a LOT from you! Because you seem super smart and knowledgeable and, and you're probably really good at hunting!" His face beamed once more as he looked up, tail wagging excitedly behind him. "I promise I'll be a fast learner, sir!"
Hello, sirs!