Author Topic: (Acceptance) Spectre of the past  (Read 874 times)

Offline Kimster

• Hero
  • back with a bang
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 3
(Acceptance) Spectre of the past
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
(Raka profile HERE )
(Shimmah profile HERE

**NOTE:
Raka suffered from amnesia and that was the biggest reason she'd left Nardir. This is now cured to a certain degree. I've had it modified to the effect that certain sounds, smells, sights or verbal references will trigger memories, but she still has trouble immediately identifying someone/something. There may still be bits that she might never remember. Think of it as a faulty system reboot.

Nardir.

The name sent echoes of almost forgotten feelings surging through the wolf's heart. Her nose twitches as she smells the borders - nope, either she doesn't remember these particular scents or they're new members. The black wolfess stands at the border, her head low with ears forward, but expressionless. Dead, pale white orbs observe the landscape around her.

"Err Raka...um...there's a... you know..border...Um..like, are you sure as in completelyutterlyveryveryvery sure we should join this pack maybe they won't like us or maybe they won't like me and uh...no sorry that sounded harsh but if they don't want me what are you gonna do I can't leave you her-" Raka gave her companion a swift glance. The much younger wolfess' maw snapped shut and her expression turned apologetic. The corners' of Raka's lips turned up into a small smile, a glimmer of brightness in the dark, before it disappeared.

"It'll be fine Shimmah." she murmered.

Shimmah nodded her head but her forehead was still scrunched into a worried frown. This was new, too much new. But Raka knew this pack from long before, so it should be okay! Right? Right. Riiiiight. She shifted her weight between her forepaws and hunched her shoulders, making her ruff puff up comically. Her ears fell backwards and her usual scowling face settled on her features. Ok fine, this'll be fine. Maybe it really will be fine and she'll make friends and finally have a family like daddy had promised her before... before. Resolutely she pushed those memories back into the 'don't remember' box. She glanced at Raka and shuffled a little closer to her shoulder for protection - whether for her own or to protect her friend that wasn't clear in her head.

Raka drew a deep breath, opened her maw and howled - long, low and commanding:

hear me - I have returned...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:43:25 PM by Kimster »

Offline Sekirei

• I'm only happy...
  • Hero
  • when it Reigns.
    • My DeviantART page
  • Liked: 154
  • Likes Given: 38
Re: (Acceptance) Spectre of the past
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »
Byakko and Sara were sitting outside her den while the pups napped when they heard a howl. The two looked at each other, a bit confused. Then it hit the oldster. "I'll be damned...It can't be..." he said, jumping to his paws. Only his daughter's presence stopped him from bolting and he looked at his small angel, almost as if seeking permission. Sara just smiled that knowing smile. "You need this more than I do. Go." was all she said. Byakko was racing off in the next breath. His paws pounded heavily on the ground as he closed the distance between the den site and the border.

"After all this time...please...let it be you. he prayed. As if sensing his urgency, a wind picked up from behind and it felt as if he were flying. Byakko reached the border, feeling pretty winded and reminding himself he wasn't as young as he used to be. That's when he saw her. His breath caught as he took in the sight of what could only be a ghost. Black fur with silver eyes. Even her scent, which he had long forgotten, was very familiar. He completely ignored her companion, not out of spite or anything mean. His focus was solely on his long-lost mate. "Raka. he said, hoping that her being here meant she remembered. She had disappeared from Nardir long ago, having suffered amnesia when she was separated from the family as the Exile was coming to and end. She and Akutan had some bad blood back then but that didn't matter now. Knowing his nephew...no, his son..., the young patriarch no long considered the argument worth remembering. By the winds, let her remember him.

"You've come back to me."
Character Bin
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

If Roman Reigns has millions of fans, I am one of them. If Roman Reigns has only one fan, that is me. If Roman Reigns has no fans, I'm no longer in the world.

Hail the Roman Empire. Hail the Guy. Roman Reigns fan for life.

Offline Kimster

• Hero
  • back with a bang
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:01:58 AM »
Shimmah paced a quick small circle before coming to rest next to Raka again:

"Come on see nobody home let's g-" And then she felt it - the umistakeable thud of paws hitting the ground. Paws that are coming fast. Very fast. "Err..." and then she saw who the paws were carrying: Oh. My. Shimmah squished down to the ground, trying to make herself as small as possible "ohmanohmanohman imgonnadie imgonnadie we're SO DEAD" she whimpered as she watched the humoungous wolf bear down on them. With a paw she pushed her overly long bangs over her eyes, trying to hide.

Raka would have commented on her behaviour, but her attention was too wrapped up in the approaching wolf. His colours seemed vaguely familiar, somehow. She lifted her head, her graying muzzle wrinkling to scent the breeze, frowning in puzzlement. An urgent wind picked up and it felt as if it bore the wolf faster down on her. That scent - and like it happens now, images and feelings swirled in her head and as his voice said:

"You've come back to me"

she smiled and answered:

"My love."

Silver orbs snapped open wide and looked at the male before her. No, not just male. Mate. Friend. Love. A quick, breathless, shy laugh escaped her usually taciturn lips. She gazed up at him lovingly - to her eyes he hadn't changed a bit. She didn't even notice age that had settled on him, she'd forgotten her own graying muzzle, she only saw the handsome wolf that had helped heal her heart and had given her a beautiful litter of daughters. The same male whom she had forgotten, and had left behind all those seasons ago. How was she supposed to say this, to ask his forgiveness at leaving him, and to tell him that, though her mind is better, it's still faulty? To such a degree that, though she remembers him and most of their time together, she couldn't recall his name? She opened and shut her mouth for a moment, the words so many and jumbled that they caught in her throat, before she finally settled on:

"I have returned, if you will have me."

Both were so caught up in the moment they had completely forgotten the cowering little dire huddled next to Raka. Which was fine by Shimmah. Urgh why did she have to have such a lurid coloured coat? Seriously what kind of mad geneticist would give her a royal blue pelt with goldenrod yellow lightning marks on her ruff and such a ridiculously long mop of bangs? Well ok, let's be honest - the bangs as a camouflage net were doing a (no pun intended) bang up job of hiding her.

Offline Sekirei

• I'm only happy...
  • Hero
  • when it Reigns.
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
"My love."

Those two words made Byakko's heart soar. He felt the need to cry but he had to keep it together. It wouldn't do to startle her when he didn't know the extent of her recovery yet. He took her in more fully. Time appeared to have been kind. Her muzzle was also graying but at this point, he was glad that a once-thought impossible dream would finally be possible. He had told her long ago he wanted to grow old with her. But then her memory was lost and he was left to finish raising their daughters and growing old alone. "I have returned, if you will have me." Raka then said. "As if it needs saying. I've been waiting all time for you. I had never given up hope that you would come back to us. In the event you don't know my name, it's Byakko. There is so much to catch up on. But first, allow me to say congratulations. You're a grandma." Byakko said warmly.

Learning she had grandpups would probably do her wonders. He wondered how she'd feel about her small yet beautiful youngest daughter having a family of her own with Buckshot. There was also Akutan to keep in mind. While Byakko knew that Akutan didn't remember the reason he and Raka had somewhat imploded before she disappeared, he knew it was due to how badly Akutan had been lashing out against life in general since the old forest was lost. It was obvious, though, that the boy had forgiven her, though. When Sara's pups were born, Akutan had been the first to say that Raka should've been there with them. Byakko had so much to ask her about if she remembered it herself. Still, one step at a time. Take it slow.

That's when he noticed Raka's companion. His eyes widened a bit at the familiar blue coat with yellow lightning marks in her ruff. "And who are you, little lady? Am I...correct in assuming you're related to Jase? The only wolf I knew with colors like yours is long dead but he left behind Jase, another son, and two daughters. Only Jase carried on the blue color." he said. This little thing had to be related to Jase. Akutan was here in the packlands and the daughters, Lana and Brooke, had vanished into the wilds long ago. Byakko hadn't thought about Jase in a long time. He was the product of a request from Shenandoah and Kokutan for ranked members to have pups to bolster the pack's numbers. Byakko and his sister, Starfire, were both unranked but mated so it was decided that Storm and Byakko's mate, Silverstream, have a litter. Deep down, it had hurt the large Fringe. Silverstream had been the most beautiful wolf he had ever seen and even now, his love for her had never once dimmed or faded. Their time had been cut short due to her dying in a blizzard. Seeing this little lady brought those memories back. There just had to be a connection between her and Jase.
Character Bin

If Roman Reigns has millions of fans, I am one of them. If Roman Reigns has only one fan, that is me. If Roman Reigns has no fans, I'm no longer in the world.

Offline Kimster

• Hero
  • back with a bang
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 11:32:46 PM »
"As if it needs saying. I've been waiting all time for you. I had never given up hope that you would come back to us. In the event you don't know my name, it's Byakko. There is so much to catch up on. But first, allow me to say congratulations. You're a grandma."

The corners of Raka's lips curled upwards - to be sure she has mellowed quite a bit, usually she would not even have shown that much emotion. She dipped her head in thanks at providing his name - Byakko. It vaguely rang a bell. She held in a sigh of frustration as she couldn't even tell herself to remember it. Maybe she will, maybe she won't. At least the other memories are there - some are fragmented, but she could make a cohesive whole out of them. Much like it happened with Shimmah. She'd stumbled upon the wolfess and the sight of that blue coat and lightning marks triggered a mess of memories.

Wait...she stared at Bakku - no - Byakko: grandma? She sifted hurriedly through the bits still in her mind. Yes she had daughters, and she could even recall one that was pure white and rather small. So the assumption would be that it was one of them. In vain she searched for more, but nothing came. Still - grandma! She eyed Byakko's massive shoulder, the need to cuddle into him quite strong, but she resisted, not sure if it's called for yet.

"Bakku - ugh, sorry," she started, grimacing at her mispronouncing his name out loud: "My memory is patchy at best. Sometimes a sight or smell or reference can trigger something, sometimes not. Even now I remember you but not your name." She paused, then continued with a soft light in her eyes: "That I'm a grandmother makes me so happy, even though I don't even know the daughter who had them. I remember a small, white pup...and three others but their images are vague?" she asked.

"And who are you, little lady? Am I...correct in assuming you're related to Jase? The only wolf I knew with colors like yours is long dead but he left behind Jase, another son, and two daughters. Only Jase carried on the blue color."

Oh right! Her companion! Raka looked down at the shivering mess of fur and gave a little sigh - such a drama queen. It reminded her of someone... nope, memory was too vague. The name Jase added itself to the mix, but she couldn't make the connection. Using a black paw she nudged Shimmah's shoulder, cocking her head to the side when the young wolfess glanced up at her: behave!

Shimmah grumbled at the look Raka gave her but managed to rally her muscles and stand up to her full un-intimidating height. She shook her head to at least let one dark green orb look at this Byakko-fella. Her face fell into it's natural scowl and she hunched her shoulders, making the ruff around her neck puff up. She'd always thought it made her look bigger.

"....squeek..." whoops nope, that came out wrong. She glanced at Raka, took reassurance from her calm demeanor and the fact that she seemed to know the giant, gulped and in a rush the words tumbled out: "nosir hello-sir-my-name's-Shimmah...err.sir... Jase don't-know-a-Jase-my-daddy-talked-of-his-daddy-he-called-him-DaddumsJae-he-had-lightning-marks-on-his-blue-coat-lotta-like-me-but-I-didn't-know-him-there-was-only-me-an'-daddy...um. Sir." She scowled at Byakko, but the scowl was all fake bravado to mask a quivering mess of nerves. Would she be accepted with Raka? The giant guy looked scary, but kinda nice, too. Even if his face looked a bit weird on the one side.

Raka looked back at Byakko, the expression in her eyes telling him that this sort of behaviour was completely normal for Shimmah. She added quietly:

"I met this girl a little while back. She was in some trouble and I helped her out. Her coat helped me remember. Loose images, but the the name of Nardir was strongly attached to it. Those marks and that scowl - it reminded me of a surly fellow called Hurricane or something like that, and a son of his that was a healer called Jase. And he had a son that was a deep red colour, but the boy had a brain impediment, or he was slow and his name was Max. Shimmah confirmed that was her father..." she paused and grimaced: "that was the most I had remembered in a long, long time. After that more memories would surface, some lasted longer than others. Nardir was the name that was most strong, with a feeling that I needed to get back there. Anyway, since then the two of us travelled together. She helped me remember and figured out that association worked best, and I protected her."

It was clear Raka viewed herself as a mother figure to the girl. Shimmah was shifting her weight between her forepaws, her eyes looking first at Byakko then Raka then back again. Obviously there was some history here. Before she could lose her nerve she blurted:

"And we won't be separated I won't leave her so take that!" yipes had she just said that?? to HIM?? Oh my giddy aunt she just signed a death sentence! Shimmah cringed and added a small: "..err...Sir.." she averted her gaze but kept scowling. Why was she such a coward?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:38:08 PM by Kimster »

Offline Sekirei

• I'm only happy...
  • Hero
  • when it Reigns.
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »
"Bakku - ugh, sorry. My memory is patchy at best. Sometimes a sight or smell or reference can trigger something, sometimes not. Even now I remember you but not your name. That I'm a grandmother makes me so happy, even though I don't even know the daughter who had them. I remember a small, white pup...and three others but their images are vague?" Raka trailed off, clearing wondering if she was remembering correctly. Byakko just smiled and nodded. Baby steps, apparently. That was the wisest course.

He watched as her blue companion straightened up a bit and fluffed her fur a bit. It was just a bluff to make her look bigger but she still paled in comparison to his great size. "nosir hello-sir-my-name's-Shimmah...err.sir... Jase don't-know-a-Jase-my-daddy-talked-of-his-daddy-he-called-him-DaddumsJae-he-had-lightning-marks-on-his-blue-coat-lotta-like-me-but-I-didn't-know-him-there-was-only-me-an'-daddy...um. Sir." she with a scowl on her face. It was definitely Storm's trademark. His heart ached remembering his brother-in-law. 

"I met this girl a little while back. She was in some trouble and I helped her out. Her coat helped me remember. Loose images, but the the name of Nardir was strongly attached to it. Those marks and that scowl - it reminded me of a surly fellow called Hurricane or something like that, and a son of his that was a healer called Jase. And he had a son that was a deep red colour, but the boy had a brain impediment, or he was slow and his name was Max. Shimmah confirmed that was her father...that was the most I had remembered in a long, long time. After that more memories would surface, some lasted longer than others. Nardir was the name that was most strong, with a feeling that I needed to get back there. Anyway, since then the two of us travelled together. She helped me remember and figured out that association worked best, and I protected her." Raka then explained.

"I think it's safe to assume Max is probably Storm's grandson through Silverstream...my first mate...since he had only one surviving child through my late sister. Her colors and her scowl are a dead ringer for him. I'll have to explain the logistics of our family later. I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information at once." Byakko explained, sitting down as well as glossing over the fact that Raka had called Storm by his father's name. It still made Byakko proud to know that his own father, X, had been the one to kill Hurricane. "And we won't be separated I won't leave her so take that!" Shimmah then blurted out. The old wolf just cocked an amused eyebrow. She certainly had spunk. "I wouldn't have it any other way. My clan is pretty tight on family. So...Raka, Shimmah, you know that I have to accept you both into the pack as members before I can let you cross the border right? So, I'll ask questions of both of you and you answer to the best of your ability. It's that easy." he then explained.

Once he got the okays from both of them, Byakko got started. He already had an idea of where they had been mostly before they came here and he figured that Raka, at least, would want to rejoin the pack because her extended family was here and Shimmah was pretty much going to stick with her. "Let's start off with health. Are you two sick or injured in any way that would require a visit to the Halos?" he asked. Both females looked and smelled healthy but it was considered in good taste to inquire about recruits' well-being. Gave them a sense of knowing the pack would help them if they were in need.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:46:28 PM by Sekirei »
Character Bin

Offline Kimster

• Hero
  • back with a bang
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »
(Well know HERE'S summat interesting - Charley informed me that technically Hakan is Shimmah's great granpa and Kyra is her aunt! Whee family tree lol!!)

"I think it's safe to assume Max is probably Storm's grandson through Silverstream...my first mate...since he had only one surviving child through my late sister. Her colors and her scowl are a dead ringer for him. I'll have to explain the logistics of our family later. I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information at once."

Raka's eyes were just beginning to glaze over at the information dump when he thankfully stopped. It was intimidating listening to such a rich history where names meant almost nothing. Silverstream's name gave her memory a flutter, but nothing more than a passing glimmer.  Shimmah watched Raka while Byakko spoke, and silently leant into the bigger wolfess' shoulder.

"I wouldn't have it any other way. My clan is pretty tight on family. So...Raka, Shimmah, you know that I have to accept you both into the pack as members before I can let you cross the border right? So, I'll ask questions of both of you and you answer to the best of your ability. It's that easy."

Shimmah's ears perked up at this - tight on family? Yeah that sounded... nice... scary - but nice. But questions, no questions are bad. She disliked questions. It always made her nervous and when she gets nervous she sounds like a squirrel on acid and no-one takes her seriously. She wished she were more like Raka. She'd seen her angry - and that was scarier than even Byakko's tall figure - but she always seemed so confident and in control. The young wolfess sighed but straightened up and flicked her long fringe to the other side of her face, letting her head cock slightly to one side. Raka merely nodded, getting the feeling that this routine was familiar to her.

"Let's start off with health. Are you two sick or injured in any way that would require a visit to the Halos?"

"Halos? Does Nardir not follow mother moon anymore?" The words surprised her, somehow that little information tidbit had just surfaced. Raka blinked twice, frowned - nope. That was all she could remember, so she continued: "Other than my faulty memory, and that I've aged somewhat, no. I can still hunt and fight and have no illnesses."

Shimmah cleared her throat and mumbled:

"Hmm-mm." Raka gave her a stern glance, which Shimmah returned with a small whine: aw come on don't let me babble? You have to. Why? Because. Uggghhh. She hunched her shoulders even more but at least tilted head way upwards so that she could stare straight into Byakko's eyes: "Nope I'm not sick I don't limp canhuntswimrunnotgreatfighter and..uh.. sir." She snapped her maw shut.

Offline Sekirei

• I'm only happy...
  • Hero
  • when it Reigns.
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 10:22:39 AM »
"Halos? Does Nardir not follow mother moon anymore?" Raka asked. Byakko's own memory was also pretty fuzzy on if Raka had even been around when the moon culture was established. It meant nothing to his own family who continued following the Old Ways so no one bothered to take note if Raka had been with them. Still, he decided to give the benefit of the doubt. "Other than my faulty memory, and that I've aged somewhat, no. I can still hunt and fight and have no illnesses." the black she-wolf then replied. "Nope I'm not sick I don't limp canhuntswimrunnotgreatfighter and..uh.. sir." Shimmah then replied.

"Excellent. The Halos are what we call the healers. Our daughter happens to be in that rank." Byakko then said, giving a tidbit of information so he could teach the females what Nardir was, reteaching in Raka's case. "Next question.
Are you able to tell me where you've been? Any enemies we should know about? I ask this only so I can inform the Jovian Winds to look out for anyone coming after you. Akutan, especially, would want to know since he heads the Jovians as the Maelstrom."
he then ventured. He hoped the implication that the Jovians were the border guards was easy enough to catch.
Character Bin

Offline Kimster

• Hero
  • back with a bang
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »
"Excellent. The Halos are what we call the healers. Our daughter happens to be in that rank."

Shimmah filed that away for future reference -perhaps she could be a healer, that sounded nice and non-violent. But her knowledge of herbs is woefully limited, she'd probably be one of those healers screaming whoops I meant DON'T eat that while her patient spasms on the ground.

"Are you able to tell me where you've been? Any enemies we should know about? I ask this only so I can inform the Jovian Winds to look out for anyone coming after you. Akutan, especially, would want to know since he heads the Jovians as the Maelstrom."

Raka twitched - Akutan sounded familiar. The image of a black, serious looking pup swam up from her subconscious, but delivered nothing else. Instead, she shook her head and answered:

"No enemies."

"Hah - not living yeah!" Shimmah laughed and started animatedly: "Raka came look WHAM oh you wanna growl at me, punk? KAPOW blood blood death!" the wolfess accentuated her sound effects with bounds and dramatically waving paws. She clutched at her own throat to mimic the death rattle when she caught Raka's eyes. Oh dear. Um. Whoops. Immediately she sat down and scowled. Her and her big mouth.

"What Shimmah means to say, if a wolf tried to harm us, then - and only then - I took care of it. I believe I used to be quite good at fighting." Raka answered, but her lips were thin with irritation. She loved Shimmah to bits but the girl had no finesse.

Offline Sekirei

• I'm only happy...
  • Hero
  • when it Reigns.
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 11:23:05 PM »
"No enemies." Raka replied. "Hah - not living yeah! Raka came look WHAM oh you wanna growl at me, punk? KAPOW blood blood death!" Shimmah added, with added effect. Byakko just reduced his need to laugh loudly at her boisterousness to a rumbling chuckle. If this girl ever crossed paths with Akutan, his brain was going to fry. Kyra was boisterous herself but this little lady seemed to outstrip even her there. Akutan's patience had grown steadily as time passed but there was still a limit to that patience. Shimmah was already proving to Byakko at least, that she could easily blow Akutan's patience for an entire day.

"What Shimmah means to say, if a wolf tried to harm us, then - and only then - I took care of it. I believe I used to be quite good at fighting." Raka then translated for his benefit. "That you were, my love. You once served under me as a warrior and if that is still your chosen path, then the Mantle is where you should be. That's what we call our warriors and it's split into two subsets, Red and Blue. The Red Mantle would suit you best since the Blues handle covert missions." Byakko explained. He then looked at Shimmah. "As for you, young lady, I can give you a more in-depth explanations of all our ranks so you can find the best fit sometime. You don't have to decide right away. We call subordinates Astronomers so that would be your starting rank in the pack. From there, you can look into the various ranks and find the best fit. In fact, this next question is for you. Raka is a warrior type so the Red Mantle would be best suited for her skills. So do you have any skills that would benefit the pack as a whole?" he asked.

It could just be his initial impression but this girl was a bit too high-strung for the work of a Jovian. Not only didn't he think Akutan would have the patience to train her but her personality didn't seem to be the right fit since Jovians were the first line of defense and needed to be professional when doing acceptances. She wasn't a warrior so the Mantle was out. A Halo, perhaps. Or...if she had a knack for making things, perhaps an artisan? Byakko could see her potential but it depended on what kind of skills she brought to the pack that would determine who he would send her to to speak about training. Shimmah needed a purpose in her life in order to grow and be a productive member of the pack. For now, she was just following Raka's pawsteps and seemed to lack direction.
Character Bin

Offline Kimster

• Hero
  • back with a bang
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 01:24:37 AM »
(*snicker* poor Akutan... first this little thing is going to be terrified, and then she'll chat his ears off. It's fun to play her - a bit of Jase and a bit of Storm.)

The giant's chest started to rumble and for a moment Shimmah was convinced her theatrics had made him angry, but when she glanced up at him his eyes twinkled and he looked amused. She smiled bashfully - ok, so maybe he wasn't as scary as she'd first thought. Raka lifted one eyebrow at him, trying to convey the message not to encourage Shimmah's behaviour, no matter how amusing.

"That you were, my love. You once served under me as a warrior and if that is still your chosen path, then the Mantle is where you should be. That's what we call our warriors and it's split into two subsets, Red and Blue. The Red Mantle would suit you best since the Blues handle covert missions."

"That's right - a warrior, a spy, and I was a queen to a pack once." she murmered, her gaze growing hazy at the faint memories. With a snort, she dismissed it, she didn't like to dwell on the past too much, it tended to overwhelm her. "Yes, the Red Mantle sounds best." She might once have been excellent for the Blues, but with her memory she might just forget the goal of a mission in the middle of it and that would spell chaos. She fully intended to pull her own weight, but would keep within the borders of Nardir.

"As for you, young lady, I can give you a more in-depth explanations of all our ranks so you can find the best fit sometime. You don't have to decide right away. We call subordinates Astronomers so that would be your starting rank in the pack. From there, you can look into the various ranks and find the best fit. In fact, this next question is for you. Raka is a warrior type so the Red Mantle would be best suited for her skills. So do you have any skills that would benefit the pack as a whole?"

Shimmah flushed at being called a young lady. She dug her one toe into the soft ground at her feet and chewed her bottom lip - what was she good at? Hunting well DUH. But something very exceptional? Like now she finds out Raka used to be a warrior and a lot of stuff and here she was, in a ridiculously coloured pelt, only good for helping Raka remember. Well, Byakko did say she didn't have to choose right away.

"Um. I can hunt - especially the fast things like rabbits, I don't mind caring for the older wolves," she couldn't help stealing a mischievious glance at Raka, then continued: "Like, carry meat to the sick ones or the ones who can't move so good no more. I can run fast. Um. But...basically the only thing I'm good at is helping Raka remember." she ended, looking slightly miserable. If they were accepted, what would her purpose be? Raka will have her family back, she'll have her mate back and Shimmah...Shimmah will have to start all over again. And she didn't feel like she was a special wolf. "Oh, and I can make wolves laugh. Isn't there, like, a cheering-up rank?" she asked hopefully.

Offline Sekirei

• I'm only happy...
  • Hero
  • when it Reigns.
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
"Um. I can hunt - especially the fast things like rabbits, I don't mind caring for the older wolves. Like, carry meat to the sick ones or the ones who can't move so good no more. I can run fast. Um. But...basically the only thing I'm good at is helping Raka remember. Oh, and I can make wolves laugh. Isn't there, like, a cheering-up rank?" Shimmah ventured. "Not really. If healing's more your thing, the Halos are a good start. But if you like making things, we have an artisan rank." Byakko said, just throwing stuff out there. Yeah, the girl had potential and nowhere to apply it yet.

"Let's see here...health's good, you have an idea of what rank to go for or will be rank shopping soon in the case of Shimmah, no enemies to speak of..." Byakko said, trailing off. He brought his nose close to the smaller wolf and took a deep whiff of her scent. It was normal with no indication she was carrying a litter. He didn't think Raka was either so no point in asking. "Everything checks out as far as I'm concerned. It's been a while since I've had to do one of these but I'm confident in my decision. Welcome home, Raka, and welcome to Nardir, Shimmah." Byakko said, standing up and stepping aside to let them cross. He couldn't wait to bury his face in Raka's fur. He still couldn't believe she had come to back to him.
Character Bin

Offline Kimster

• Hero
  • back with a bang
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 08:02:50 PM »
"Not really. If healing's more your thing, the Halos are a good start. But if you like making things, we have an artisan rank."  Shimmah just kind of stared at him. Make stuff? She can certainly break stuff, that's easy, but making things? That actually sounds nice.

Byakko muttered to himself then brought his nose closer to her and took a deep whiff. Shimmah stiffened and her eyes nearly bugged out - uh ok weird creepy guy I smell like wolf and I'm not in heat thank you so much good day! She leaned as far back as she could, scowling at him. Raka wore an amused expression, she knew he was sniffing for potential pregnancy. When he'd finished with Shimmah she lifted an eyebrow at him, her eyes having the slightest of twinkles: well old man? Do you really think any other male wolf would stand a chance?

"Everything checks out as far as I'm concerned. It's been a while since I've had to do one of these but I'm confident in my decision. Welcome home, Raka, and welcome to Nardir, Shimmah." Byakko announced, stepping aside to welcome them in.

Raka nudged Shimmah forwards and told the girl: "Go on, take a lope around and meet some people. I need some alone time with Byakko."

"Huh? But.. Oh..What?..Ohhhhh. Riiiiight." Shimmah grinned and winked and bounded over the border where she suddenly froze. Where to go? She glanced nervously back at Raka, who smiled and nodded her head. Of course, she could just come back here and sniff her out. But it was scary. Shimmah turned back to the Nardir lands, hunched her shoulders, scowled, and huffed a breath: here she comes.

The moment Shimmah was out of sight, Raka stepped forward and gently buried her head in Byakko's ruff. For her, that would be the equivalent of trying to hug him to death. She breathed in his scent and chanted to herself that she mustn't forget this. Not ever again...a futile hope. She smelled puppies on him - that must be this supposed daughter of her's.

"When I remember you, I missed you. Oh how I've missed you! I was such a terrible person when I couldn't remember anything." she murmered, her usually cold and calm demeanor shaken by the need to express her sorrow at what she had done to them, how she had nearly sabotaged their relationship. It wasn't her fault, but she still felt guilty.

Offline Sekirei

• I'm only happy...
  • Hero
  • when it Reigns.
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 09:22:15 PM »
"Go on, take a lope around and meet some people. I need some alone time with Byakko." Raka said when she and Shimmah crossed over. "Huh? But.. Oh..What?..Ohhhhh. Riiiiight." the girl said before heading off on her own, hesitating only once. The second she was out of sight, Raka wasted no time in burying her face in Byakko's black ruff. He responded in kind by holding her head to his chest with his own. He breathed her in, her scent greeting his nose like an old friend. "When I remember you, I missed you. Oh how I've missed you! I was such a terrible person when I couldn't remember anything." she muttered. "That's in the past. As far as those of us still living are concerned...it's dead and gone and we've moved on." Byakko replied. To say nothing of the three little ones who only had marginal awareness of Raka's existence and didn't know their full history yet. That would come as they got older.

He licked her head several times. "That said, is there anything we can do for you to help you ease back into the family?What do you remember of us?" he asked. He had his own questions, like what else aside from Shimmah's colors had jogged her memory and where she had been wandering all this time in the wilds. If anything, Byakko's long dormant sense of guilt and regret had awoken the moment he saw her for the first time in forever. He regretted not trying harder to track her down when she wandered away, felt guilty for not being there to protect her from all the troubles he knew she faced while without her memory. He felt mirthful for that thought. The Raka he had known would've balked at a male protecting her but that didn't stop him from doing it anyway.
Character Bin

Offline Kimster

• Hero
  • back with a bang
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 12:07:48 AM »
 "That's in the past. As far as those of us still living are concerned...it's dead and gone and we've moved on."

Raka sighed - it's good that they didn't hold it against her, but it still didn't make up for all the time that she'd lost. On the other hand, seeing how she was at that time, perhaps it had been for the best. She'd been so aggressive and defensive, so constantly bewildered it had made her almost mad.

Byakko licked head and she closed her eyes, revelling in the feel of it. "That said, is there anything we can do for you to help you ease back into the family?What do you remember of us?"

She took a step back and imperiously motioned for him to lower his head so she may groom his face. In between the licking she answered slowly:

"Honestly, taking it slow is best. There was a time when I had such headaches that I could barely move. I was walking in a forest somewhere, in the wilds is about the only place name I can vaguely recall, and I heard this almighty racket. It felt as if it would crack my skull in two. I was about to turn around when I heard a young wolf yelping. Of course I ran over to see if she needed help. Well, there was Shimmah standing over the body of dark red pelted male, surrounded by two ugly mutts. I ensured the mutts left her alone." she shrugged, not needing to go into the details of exactly how she ensured that: "We travelled together afterwards, and she had at least knowledge of a plant that helped headaches. It tasted disgusting. Oneday I called her Jase. From then on, I began to remember more things. Everytime I look at her lightning marks, I remember Jase and, uh, Storm, and Nardir. As we made our way here, she would ask questions, and by luck would figure out a word that made more memories surface. She helped me piece together a remember map, as she calls it. She may prattle on but it was through her endless babble that I was able to cling onto word associations - and she's terribly good at remembering how the pieces fit together."

Raka paused and cleared her throat, not used to talking at such a length.

"Sometimes the memories can be overwhelming, or too fragmented to make any sense. Usually I'm okay and can push them aside, but there are times they bring on a headache. Shimmah knows the symptoms and tries to find some head herbs. She wasn't always successful. When the headaches hit, where before I could still move and fend for myself, they'd gotten worse. I'm forced to lie still until they pass." the tough wolfess ended, her lips thinning in distaste. How she hated being vulnerable! And now laying that vulnerability on Byakko's feet, it irked her.

"As for what I remember of us - I can remember how you and I met, I remember we had pups but other than a vague impression of a small white one there's nothing else. There are a few bits and bobs of stuff about the two of us - all good memories. Sometimes I get an image of you and another male that's your colouring, but inverted? But anyway, all I ask is patience. The memories comes and goes. There are times I keep on remembering, but there's a good chance that if I lose sight of you even for a minute that I won't remember you before I smell you. You, it seems, works with smell association."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:33:13 AM by Kimster »