Author Topic: Far Over, the Misty Mountains Rise [open]  (Read 610 times)

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
  • Liked: 1243
  • Likes Given: 277
Far Over, the Misty Mountains Rise [open]
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »
Fiery mountain beneath the moon
The words unspoken, we'll be there soon
For home a song that echoes on
And all who find us will know the tune

He went back. After all this time, he trespassed through the mist into the ghost town. He could almost see his people meandering on the cool grass in the dusk, lounging by the old river and pond as they laughed over old stories. Peaceful, these people. Gone, this family. The pebbles were a gunshot in the quiet as his feet carried him north to the gathering stone; eroded further with time, smaller now, or was it because he was just bigger? He wasn't sure. He remembered his father sat there, waiting for the rest of the pack to gather round for his new decree. To the left, his own nose to the ground as if he could find her scent there, his mother would sit: ever vigilant, the eyes and ears of the people, their barbed wire to keep them safe. To the right... He lifted his broad head, and looked at the vacant seat; the flat stone where the hulking shadow reclined. He couldn't see him in his mind's eye. Whether it was due to his young age or the trauma he suffered remained unknown, and he didn't care.

Not really.

The wind whistled as it kicked up around him, stirring the grass and dead leaves into a weary dance. He watched them briefly, the dust making a graceful dress for the ancient dance played before him. Life went on. The sun rose, fell, and rose again. Nothing stopped the world's turn, not even a bear consuming his brother's before his very eyes. Pleading. Screaming. Teeth. CRUNCH. Boneless, flesh torn and swallowed. Eaten. Snuffed, lifeless eyes piercing his own. Why us? Why not you? He didn't know why the bear broke into the territory that day. He didn't know why it chose his family to destroy that calm morning. It'd been sunny, not a cloud in the sky. Not too hot, not too cold. Just right, and then- He shook his head. He'd never have those answers. As his eyes fell upon the dark stone lining the old den where his brother's fell, he lowered his head, and breathed.

Nothing.

Nothing lingered from the predator's carnage, not even a trace of iron on the hard surface. Time washed away the evidence, and the world forgot. It kept spinning.

It didn't care about their lives.

He whispered soft words against the stone, a little prayer for the siblings that never got to live their lives. He hoped they found peace in the after life, whatever it may be. Maybe darkness was a comfort. Couldn't feel in an empty void.

The forgotten son turned, and left. He didn't look back. There wasn't anything left for him here.

As the young man made his way down the slopes, he paused. Was that-? No. No, don't look, don't even turn. The dead lingered here, and it wasn't wise to look upon them as they recalled their lives. One might be tempted to join them in their memories. Those that gave in, just laid down and died. He shuddered, and took off as quickly as he could. It wasn't very fast considering his stature, but it was enough to put some distance himself and the haunted kingdom. His tongued lolled out of the side of his mouth as he panted, large paws slapping against the hard ground beneath him. It'd grow lush as he got closer to home; cooler, sweeter in the air the further he went from the graveyard of memories. His ears snapped up, and the fringe dire mix skidded to a halt. Dust swirled around him, and his nostrils flared as he peered about in the dark.

When had twilight fallen, and given into night? He wasn't sure, but he knew one thing.

"I know you're out there," Blue Boy clearly stated, "So show yourself."

Offline Vixxie

• Hero
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 85
Re: Far Over, the Misty Mountains Rise [open]
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »

When did her legs grow numb? She hadn't noticed after the miles of travel that took place today. You'd think after a lifetime of being a nomad this aching in her limbs would be something she could ignore. But nope, it’s still uncomfortable as hell. With each thrust of motion she simultaneously twisted her head left and right, searching for a safe and comfortable place to rest as nightfall pushed quickly. By Farai’s standards, this would be a small climbable tree or an abandoned fox hole. Hell, if there was a hollow log wide enough for her to fit securely she’d settle for that as well. Anything but a damn cold, dark cave. Unfortunately for her, this terrain had lots of caves to offer. Not that she’s scared or anything, of course! Don’t you dare accuse her of that.

Eventually she saw a generously sized burrow just ahead, the expression of pure delight and relief would give way. Took long enough, she decides she needs to stop being so damn picky about where she sleeps. Especially if she’s going to continue roaming as often as she does. Her pace began to slow coming closer but as the noise of the dainty paws clouting the ground beneath her lessened she could now hear something else… Panting. Which would make sense, right? She’s been abusing her lungs all day. But it wasn’t her panting, that was the concerning part. The cheerful expression quickly dissolved and now she wore a face of stone. She could not put up a fight right now. eff. Her heart raced and she lowered her body and pulled herself closer to the length of a scrub. The panting became louder as she watched the legs of the creature spring past her, holding her breath all the while. Keeping still. Steady. Not breathing. When it was just a few feet beyond her she exhaled softly through her nose and relaxed again. Thank the L- The thudding stopped.

I know you’re out there.” Fuuuuuuuuck. HOW? Did she smell that bad? “So show yourself.” Um, no way. This guy was definitely larger than she was, and as mentioned before she was in no way energized enough to defend herself. She responded quickly, keeping a steady voice. He may react negatively to her voice coming from behind him and it was not in her plans to startle this guy any more than she already had.

“I apologize. Didn’t realize I was in someone else’s territory… thought this place was a free-for-all.” Actually she knew it was neutral lands. She’s been around these parts a million times before, she was practically raised here. It wasn’t the time to start arguing though, Farai was smart enough for that.

On to the next move, as she’s always thinking and considering her plans, she decided that it would be best to come out from hiding. If this guy was going to attack her he’d do it regardless of whether she was in a bush or not, perhaps if she came out he’d calculate that she truly wasn’t a threat. Ehh… Others aren’t always that smart, maybe she should make it apparent. Carefully she stepped out from the pathetic protection of the bush and sat promptly, turning her head slightly so that this stranger had little to no vision of the scars across her right eye. Immediately she recognized this guy was nearly two feet larger than she was, and probably another couple hundred pounds heavier. Couldn't she have had a run in with a gopher or something?

Her tuff of fur sat over her paws. “I’m only looking for shelter, then I’ll be on my way again in the morning.” After she slept in, of course. Farai had a feeling this altercation might leave her up for awhile.

"can i drink you, to wake me,
swirl you in my mouth, on my tongue,
and taste you like honey, a drop or two?
keep your coffee, your tea. give me you,
give me half a sip of ecstasy."

farai sybella caolan

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 08:11:45 PM »
“I apologize. Didn’t realize I was in someone else’s territory… thought this place was a free-for-all. I’m only looking for shelter, then I’ll be on my way again in the morning.”

The petite woman that emerged from hiding wasn't exactly what he expected, and she sounded exasperated as she spoke. Maybe just miffed someone disturbed her rest from another day of hard living, and he could relate to that. He sank on his paws, the adrenaline seeping out of his system as he looked her over. She was cloaked in dark colors, a mix of silver to gray, so similar to himself she might have been a long distance relation were it not for the splashes of blue across his own coat. He let out a breath he didn't even realize he was holding as he sighed heavily, flicking his ears forward as he gently tilted his head. A silent question upon his face: What are you doing out here all alone?

He didn't say it though.

Not today.

"It's not mine," Blue rumbled, a two-stroke engine, "You're free to stay." He wasn't her keeper. She could do as she pleased in this wild rugged landscape. There were no lords here, not this far out where there was never enough to keep one sustained. Not completely. "But..." He took a step back, calling to her over his shoulder, "You're more than welcome to join me. It's better than your bolt hole." Not without manners, he inclined his head to her as a farewell should she choose to ignore his offer. It was her life to live after all.

No one could control that but her.

He walked for a few feet, and then increased his speed to a lope. He ran and followed the trail signs, the brightly painted paw prints a guide to any who might need him. It was quite dark by the time he reached home and it only made him sigh again, but this time with relief. Before him stood an ancient tree, its limbs spiraling upward to reach for the sky. Beneath, its roots conquered a part of the mountain. With time, the rock split, and became the mouth of a spiraling cave. Outside of the entrance was a well tended garden. Different herbs and healing plants grew outside. It was perfect. They'd eat the morning sun, and be shaded from the hotter temperatures in the afternoon. He entered the cave without worry, and not a backward glance if the woman followed.

Should she? She was more than welcome. He invited her after all.

The cave was large and open. The floor dipped in its center, a foot lower than the rest of the cool stone floor. He built a small fire within the pit to better illuminate his home. The ceiling was lined with drying flowers and herbs, small chains of woven plants ready to be ground down into whatever he needed. Thanks to nature, some of the walls jutted out in a natural forming shelf. It was lined with little pouches and items, somewhat cluttered looking but obviously important. Beside this shelf was a large, flat slab of granite. It was obvious this is where he made most of his medicinal items: salves, poultices, smaller remedies stored in pouches, distinguished by their unique scents. To the far left was his bed: a pile of random pelts.

If she followed, he'd look at her; exhaustion upon his face as he sat down near the fire. "Don't go down there," He said absentmindedly as he motioned to a dark corridor with a flick of his tail, leading to shadow. "It's not fit for company."

He didn't need her eating one of his mushrooms and potentially dying. That'd be not only horrible, but a pain to deal with.

"You're welcome to stay as long as you like," He added, "As long as you don't ruin my work."

Offline Vixxie

• Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:52:05 PM »
It’s not mine. You’re free to stay.” Typical of Farai to over analyze and assume the literal brute was coming off as aggressive. It seemed the moment he realized she wasn’t a threat he became a tranquil giant. This allowed Farai to ease her muscles as well. You’re free to stay?, Farai thought. I know. Such a bitch.

Farai emitted a heavy breath of her own, eyes beginning to circle back. Lifting a paw to leave, she let the thought of burying herself deep into the large fox hole consume her once more. As soon as she closes her eyes she is sure to be in the deepest of sleeps, and then tomorrow – “But…” Aaand thought disturbed. “You’re free to join me. It’s better than your bolt hole.” Ears swiveled and her head jerked to look in his direction. Her normally small and twinkling eyes widened into beaming yellow rays. She felt a lump in her throat.

It’s been so long – so long since she’s had company. Sure, she has had her fair part of interactions. But no one has ever given her invitation to join them. Perhaps most others spoke with her long enough to realize she’s not always good company. And she of course would never ask anyone to follow along with her. Companionship isn’t always as valuable as her solitude. This guy doesn’t know what he’s gotten himself into.

A concrete stare follows him as he begins to extend the proximity between them. Quickly she outweighed the pros and cons of the situation. For starters, she hasn’t even sniffed out the burrow to be sure it was truly vacant. If it wasn’t, she’d have to continue the hunt for a place to sleep… And it’s already so late. Hell, she better start skipping if she wants to keep up with him; it was becoming difficult to spot him now.

Farai broke off in a quick and still aching trot. It was crucial to keep distance between them, it was absolutely brainless of her to just follow a stranger into a place she was less familiar with than he. Their route was spotted with paw prints in very conspicuous places. Bright ones. Clearly trail markers. Was this to help him find his way back to his own den? No, he wouldn’t make it so obvious if it was meant only for him. He wanted others to follow the track. But why? For the sake of the mystery and the underlying knowledge of it all, Farai was briefly excited she decided to follow the blue-marked male.

But as a reoccurring pattern of the night, or rather her life, she was disappointed yet again. As she entered the clearing of their final destination, she was still far enough away to just watch as he disappeared within the cave. The cave. “Are you kidding me…” She whispered to herself, heaving dramatically again and bowing her head. She should just turn around now, he hasn’t even noticed that she’s been following him.

But as she was considering her options once more, she inhaled a quite heavenly scent.
Was it heavenly? It was different. Is that a garden?

She treaded slowly towards the mouth of the cave, only glancing inside for a moment before she walked along the edge of the garden. She recognized only a few plants herself. Surely they weren’t all native to this location. There were just too many different species, it was really unlike anything Farai had ever seen. Many nomads she had met previously may have kept a herb or two along with them, but never so many at their leisure. Fascinating.

Don’t go down there. It’s not fit for company.” Farai took a step towards the entrance, as to be more visible to the blue-male.

No worries, I won’t be joining you in there. I don’t do caves.” Her beady eyes never met his, instead they swept the interior of his cave. He clearly doesn’t get out often, but she could not deny that it was all impressive. “Are you a healer? I don’t imagine so, I’m positive you could do some harm with some of this stuff.” She squinted her eyes as it met with the corridor, that must be what he was referring to. She could smell the fungus.

She had so many questions.

You're welcome to stay as long as you like. As long as you don't ruin my work.

Why do you leave markers for others? Why would you want uninvited company?” Gee, maybe she should start with his name. Briefly the memory of her family being attacked by the group of bachelors came over, but it was gone as quickly as it knocked. She never allowed herself to relive the memory. It happened and she couldn’t change that, why dwell on it? She survived. “Are you alone?” Nevertheless, she was always alert for ambushes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:55:57 PM by Vix »

farai sybella caolan

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »
“No worries, I won’t be joining you in there. I don’t do caves.”

Blue Boy nodded his head. At least she was honest. "If you like, you can take shelter in the garden. Don't ruin any of the plants, and I don't mind." He shrugged his hunched shoulders at the petite woman, and moved to the flat slab of rock. Settling on his haunches, he went to work grinding some of the dried herbs.

“Are you a healer? I don’t imagine so, I’m positive you could do some harm with some of this stuff.”

He let out a dry chuckle, "Sometimes the best way to heal someone, is to let them pass in peace." He still worked on the powder, grabbing another plant to add to the mix. This one let the drug take effect more quickly. He thought of his mother, and wondered if her ghost wandered in Onyx. He hoped she was happy, if she was still alive.

“Why do you leave markers for others? Why would you want uninvited company?”

He stopped this time, the grinder left abandoned atop the slab of rock. He put his paws down, and looked at her from over his shoulder. She lingered like Onyx's ghosts, full of flight as she waited for his response. He swallowed thickly and said, "Not everyone is lucky. Sometimes, people get hurt. They can come to me for aid. I'll do the best I can, and if my abilities aren't great enough? I.. I help them the only way I can." The black mushrooms grew in the back for a reason, a last resort should the patient be sound enough to beg for death. It was the only thing he could do for them, and they repaid with their flesh. It was the circle of life, death feeding the release to grant it.

"It's... the least I can do."

The world's a cruel place.

It spins ever onward, and doesn't blink when they die.

It doesn't care, so he has to.

Someone has to care for them.

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »
bump]

Offline Vixxie

• Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 05:55:31 PM »
"If you like, you can take shelter in the garden. Don't ruin any of the plants, and I don't mind."

Rai turned to take another look at the impressive garden, the greenery was overwhelming but comforting. How many different species of plants did he actually have? Maybe that's a question for later, it was too late to scare away her chances of safe shelter. "Sure, thank you." She responded abruptly, trying to avoid the excitement. Sleeping within the garden meant she had the opportunity to peek and poke and what he had hiding in there. Respectfully, of course. She was smart enough to know this guy is not worth pissing off.

"Sometimes the best way to heal someone, is to let them pass in peace."

Okay, so he had a point... But she wouldn't forget the fact that he had deadly fungus readily available. A suffering life isn't the only life he could end with those. She watched as he crafted his next concoction together atop the slab. His muscles rippling beneath his thick skin, which caused her to tense out of reflex - but only for a moment. She did not want him to be aware that she was still on high alert. Could he blame her?

"Not everyone is lucky. Sometimes, people get hurt. They can come to me for aid. I'll do the best I can, and if my abilities aren't great enough? I.. I help them the only way I can. It's... the least I can do."

Farai took note of the sudden change of tone and expression. Is he relaying this to something from his past? "I can appreciate the fact that you want to help, that's very... noble of you." Kind words, Farai. He's a big one. "But doesn't it make you feel... vulnerable? I mean, someone could destroy what you have here. Does that not worry you?" While prying at his thoughts, she sticks her head a little deeper in his cave to have a little look around. Pretty roomy. Still, the garden will do.

Looking towards him again, she felt the need to further explain. "Not everyone is lucky, you're right. But not everyone is too keen on being friendly in these woods." She sat and leaned slightly on the opening, if this conversation was going to last much longer she'd better make herself comfortable. "You'd have to know that by now, right?"

She thought about her mother and father, the injuries they endured during the attack years ago. It took their lives slowly.
It made Farai wonder, if this guy had been around at the time, her family may have had a shot at survival.
Or if he'd been around then, the group that got her family may have gotten to him too. What can his herbs do against baring teeth and claws?

(sorry my dear! missed your response <3)

farai sybella caolan

Offline Vixxie

• Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 04:52:40 PM »
bump, no rush!

farai sybella caolan