Author Topic: chicken of the cave [acceptance]  (Read 521 times)

Offline Rider

• Initiate
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
chicken of the cave [acceptance]
« on: December 27, 2016, 06:09:22 PM »
   There was nowhere for him to go, no one to go to. Rider left his small family pack months ago, and at first it had been amazing. The freedom; going where he wanted, and not having to go back to anyone - it was thrilling. But as time went on, he started to miss the comfort of knowing others around him, instead of passing by strangers who were also trying to survive. There was no one who cared about him, no one to comfort him when he felt himself starting to lose it. Somehow after moving forwards for weeks, he hadn’t come across any packs. Rider had gotten in some fights, and it made him realize how despite all the training his parents had put him through, it was nothing compared to the real thing.

The only good thing when fighting, he found out, is he never felt so alive. It made him realize how fragile life was, and that at any moment he could have been killed. But then the issue was there, right in front of his eyes; why did any of it matter? There was no one in his life, not anymore. So he traveled, and traveled, and finally, when the sun was setting, he picked up the scent of many wolves. At first he thought it wasn’t real, that his mind was so effed up it decided to play a sick joke. But then he kept going, further and further. When the sun dropped below the horizon, he found the scent line.

Rider was weary, pelt messy and anxiety at its peak. But the dire decided he was not going to stop until he had at least tried. His howl was pathetic, probably not even going too far into the territory, but it was all he could try to produce. Sitting down would make him tired, make him want to lay down and sleep, which was not an option. Instead he kept on his paws, head lowered, eyes on the ground but ears perked to pick up any noise. When someone would finally be coming close, he’d speak up, rasping at first from the lack of talking in his travels. “Hello? This is a pack?” Of course it was, he cursed at himself mentally, but tried to keep his cool. But he could feel all the anxiety and depression from being alone for months working its way into his mind and throat, making his words spill out before he could fully think them through.

“I don’t know this place - I - it doesn’t matter how it works. I’ll learn, please. I want to be with others again.

☀ played by alue ☀ profile ☀ inarian ☀ #B20000 ☀

Offline Aeolus

• Former Messenger of Comunitare
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 1
Re: chicken of the cave [acceptance]
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:44:44 PM »
He had decided to patrol the borders some more despite the swiftly setting sun to make up for the fact that his time was divided between his job as a Sentry and that of a Page with his duties of Page more often than not requiring his presence during the day leaving him with the evenings to carry out his job of Sentry. He didn't mind though a he was often awake at night anyway thinking about various things. It was shortly after the sun had vanished below the horizon and before the moon had fully risen that he heard a quiet howl. It would be an unusual time for one to come seeking acceptance and a most favorable one for those up to no good to come as there was such limited visibility until the moon was higher so he made his way towards the howl with caution and suspicion unsure of what he'd find when he arrived but hoping it would not be another ambush though it had not escaped him that he could very well be walking into just that.

As he drew closer though he noticed that there seemed to be only one scent despite his best efforts at trying to pick up any others. It made it less likely that this was an attempt at an attack on Inaria which allowed him to relax some though not entirely as it was still unusual for someone to come calling at a strange pack after nightfall. Finally he was close enough to make out a lone figure standing at the border, a figure who at his approach began speaking or questioning rather as the speaker's voice had an uncertain tone to it. "Hello, yes this is a pack. It is called Inaria. What brings you to our borders at such a late hour?".

The reply he got was one that was a bit concerning, after all if one didn't care what sort of pack one joined could that not mean that the individual had no care for morals and common decency? Of course he'd said he would learn which if his word was true meant he could be taught morals and to uphold them no matter what which Inaria could certainly use and would it not be far better anyway that Inaria should one such as him rather than their enemy? Of course he still had to know what sort of skills the potential recruit could offer before just letting  him in. "Being willing to learn is a valuable trait and one that will serve you well here, however, before I grant you acceptance I need to know what skills you already have knowledge in so that I may properly assess what you might need to learn as a member of Inaria". And with that he would wait for a reply or if the recruit didn't realize he was being asked to explain what he would do to help Inaria he would ask again in a more simple fashion.

Offline Rider

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »
   When someone finally approached, they didn’t seem to hear what Rider said before, and he didn’t make out clearly what they had said either. There was too much anxiety in him at the moment, making it harder for him to understand words, especially at a distance. Rider knew that if he got too panicked, then everything would have to said slower, very clear and at a good volume. While the stranger came closer, he tried to breath deep enough to calm himself down. After being alone so long he felt like he was going to break. He felt like everything was a trick, that because he had left his family the world wanted to use him as a toy. But he tried to not let much of this show when the other got closer, or when he spoke. There was obvious anxiety about him, but he tried to keep it on the down low.

"Being willing to learn is a valuable trait and one that will serve you well here, however, before I grant you acceptance I need to know what skills you already have knowledge in so that I may properly assess what you might need to learn as a member of Inaria.” Of course, of course. He nodded, trying to show his understanding. He took a moment to collect his thoughts, already knowing what he would say, just trying to find the right way to say it. “I understand.” It was one way of trying to get his thoughts organized. He repeated ‘I understand in his mind’, but then tried to slightly shake his head, trying to maybe clear his mind.

“I was raised to be a fighter. My parents, they made sure me and my siblings would survive,” That was not the word they used when teaching them. They didn’t want them to survive, they’d tell him, they wanted them to thrive. But after becoming a loner, Rider had changed their words to better benefit him. “I’ve been in the loner lands for moons, but I can’t take it any more, it feels wrong to not be with others. I’ve fought in the loner lands, and I stood against them and survived.” He tried to not sigh, but he wanted to be honest. “I have more to learn, I’m sure, but I’m already in the process of being good.” Surely a pack knew more fighting skills than a small family of loners did. They had so much to teach him, and was willing to learn in exchange for the feeling of a family.

Offline Aeolus

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:52:05 AM »
He heard the arrival say he understood which he might have although now that he was close enough to see better, aided by the slightly increased moonlight, he was able to observe that the other seemed nervous. It was something he could well understand as he had been nervous himself when he'd gone through his acceptance but then..he was nervous because he had been admitting his guilt about a failure that had cost him and everyone else in the pack their home..or..a home. It made him wonder if there might be something similar in this ones past, that was something he'd have to ask about, later though, for now he was giving all his attention to what the male was saying. It was a curious thing really. The seeker speaking of being able to fight, something that Inaria could have used more of when the war came and even with the war over still needed greatly. He wasn't about to tell that to the recruit though, it would hardly be appropriate to tell someone at the border that the pack they were looking to join had nearly been destroyed by war for a lack of enough individuals able and willing to fight in it. What would he think if he heard that? Probably nothing good so he would keep the fact of the war quiet for now, besides if the male was granted entrance he would learn of the war soon enough.

The way he spoke of being able to fight and fight well while acting so nervous, it made him wonder about what the male considered good among other things making it on to the list of things to ask about. First however he would deal with the issue of fights in the unclaimed lands, it might be considered unlikely and far fetched to assume that one might follow an individual all the way to a pack but according to some of the rumors he'd heard that had happened on more than one occasion lately and Inaria could ill afford another such surprise at present so best to check and make sure.

"The fights you engaged in in the neutrals, is there any chance that any of those who you fought might have followed you here?". He would wait a moment for a reply not saying whether or not the answer would make or break the acceptance process. It was perhaps a bit less than Page diplomacy but at the moment he was not acting as Page, not entirely, but as a Sentry who had to be particularly careful about bringing a stranger into the pack in the middle of the night. Once he had an answer he would move to the next question which he considered just as important as the others. "You say you are willing to continue and improve your fighting skills, but felt lonely in the neutrals so my next question, or questions, for you is..Do you enjoy fighting? Is that your preferred method for dealing with conflict?". This was an important question which he hoped the male would answer honestly because while Inaria could certainly use more Soldiers they could also use more Sentries and an individual who didn't use fighting as a first line of defense but who was willing and able to fight if the need arose would be a good fit for the Sentry rank.

Of course he couldn't promote the male into the the rank himself and his fighting ability would still have to be assessed to see just how good he was but he could still direct him to those who could make such assessments and who could, if they saw fit, promote this individual who..he just realized that the male had not given him his name. of course he realized rather sheepishly that he had not provided his own. That was something he was going to have to correct, he could just keep conducting business as either Page or Sentry if he kept forgetting to introduce himself properly as he'd been doing and had managed to do once again.

Well he supposed that was something he could and should correct immediately. "My apologies, I have just realized I forgot to introduce myself. I am Aeolus, a Sentry and Page of Inaria and..I don't believe I caught your name?". he would hint at the need for the recruits name in a more Page like manner than the earlier part of the conversation. the name issues was after all a mistake he too had made so placing all the blame on the recruit would hardly be fair but..he did still need the recruits name. That was proper protocol after all.

Offline Rider

• Initiate
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 11:41:26 PM »
   The other could tell he was nervous, Rider knew it. But then he thought, why try to hide his nervousness? The more open he was, the more likely he was to be trusted. The thought gave him an odd calm, as if some kind of weight had been lifted off his shoulders. But what had? He hadn’t admitted anything - not yet, at least - so what felt like it had been smoothed over?  He pushed the lingering thoughts down as he listened to the other speak, deciding it was best to ignore his forever internal questioning of everything. "The fights you engaged in in the neutrals, is there any chance that any of those who you fought might have followed you here?" He shook his head - no. A simple fight had never lead to a vendetta. Even if someone had decided to go after him, they would have gotten to him before he arrived at the border.

"You say you are willing to continue and improve your fighting skills, but felt lonely in the neutrals so my next question, or questions, for you is...Do you enjoy fighting? Is that your preferred method for dealing with conflict? That was a tough question. He had to take a moment to think his words over. Even when they started to spill from his mouth, he had to pause to consider his mixture of emotions. “I don’t...I don’t think I ‘enjoy’ fighting, but it’s like...I can do it, y’know? I don’t think I’m good at healing or teaching, and I’m at least okay at fighting. I dunno if I want to settle everything with fighting - I guess if given the chance it’d be nice to talk it over. But since I can fight, I won’t stand down. I’ll fight for others if they can’t.” That felt like a good, strong answer. It felt like when someone had super powers and they were a superhero only for the fact that they had the power to help others. 

"My apologies, I have just realized I forgot to introduce myself. I am Aeolus, a Sentry and Page of Inaria and...I don't believe I caught your name?" Oh, yeah. They both goofed on that, he guessed. Nonetheless, Rider dipped his head politely when the other spoke their name. “I’m Rider, um, just a guy, I guess?” He didn’t have a title, he didn’t have a rank, so what else was he to say? He could have said ‘loner’ but he sure didn’t want to stay a loner, so it felt as if it would be wrong to call himself so.

Offline Aeolus

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:42:01 AM »
There seemed to be a sudden, yet familiar, sort of difference in the one he was questioning but he couldn't quite place it. As the change was not a hostile one though he decided he would simply set it aside to study and think upon later after business was concluded. The other shook his head no to the possibility of being followed which was straight forward eough and didn't really provide any room for questioning without seeming well..nosy and rude. Not that he wasn't supposed to ask questions but well even as a Page and Sentinel there were limits on what could be asked under such circumstances so that propriety could be preserved and so would be recruits weren't frightened out of their fur unnecessarily. After his second question the recruit seemed to pause and think about what his answer would be before giving it.

It was a good answer that would allow for many opportunities all that the other would need to do was prove himself capable to hold a rank and he would likely go far. Especially with his good manners which were on display as the other male nodded as soon as he introduced himself and then provided him with his own name, Rider. "A pleasure to meet you Rider, and with those skills I wouldn't be surprised if you had a rank or two of your own soon". He would say with a bit of a twinkle in his eye waiting for Rider to catch on to what he was saying. As soon as he had he would step aside, "Welcome to Inaria". He might have left it at that so he could continue with his patrolling but with as late as it still was he figured that a bit more was in order.

"Seeing as how late it is I imagine you would like to rest sooner rather than later hm?". He phrased it as more of a question than a statement to try and avoid offending the recruit but then continued. "As I will be patrolling the rest of the night and will hardly have need of it you can sleep in my den for the night or longer if you wish". Of course he was rather figuring that Rider would be able to find a place of his own in the morning but..he wanted to make sure that if that was not the case the other would have somewhere to sleep. He didn't want his fellow Inarian's fretting about being seen as impolite but nor did he want the new arrival waking everyone up in the middle of the night by trying to find a place of his own right this second so..he hoped, risky though it was in a way, that his new recruit would accept the offer. That Rider would spend the night in his den and then find his own in the morning.

Then he would work on finding someone else to assess their new member to see about finding out if his skills were as good as he said so that he could maybe get a rank..maybe. he didn't know if anyone would be willing to rank him up so quickly all things considered but he could at least be put on the radars as someone who could benefit and help the pack more by having a rank.