Author Topic: Be Shore of Yourself [Setebos/Cockatrice]  (Read 515 times)

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
  • Liked: 926
  • Likes Given: 898
Be Shore of Yourself [Setebos/Cockatrice]
« on: August 31, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »
The maroon female found herself drawn to the ocean once again, padding along the beach as the sun slowly emerged above the horizon. It was barely sunrise, but the marchioness was awake very early as was her habit. Another nightmare had plagued her sleep until it was useless to try and fall back into slumber. Moons had laid in her den for a while, adjusting her positions every few minutes to see if she could fall asleep once again. But when the hours ticked by and sleep wasn't coming, she gave up and exited her den, walking towards the ocean shore.

And here she was now, leaving paw prints in the sand as she walked through the shoreline and occasionally paused to poke at the little critters and shells she found. It brought a little tired smile to her face, but it faded when she looked at where the water met the land. It was near here where they found Cappella after the war was over. When the high ranks had all congregated here upon finding the young Italian girl, pregnant with her unborn litter. It had been both a relief and a huge concern to have found her, but overall it was a great thing.

Lifting her gaze to the ocean once again, Moons watched the glittering surface as she reflected upon the state of things. It was a constant topic on her mind, the war that they had just gone through. It would be a while before it faded to the back of her mind like an old article in the newspaper. She had been slowly seeing others and felt the relief at knowing they were relatively okay.

Moons jumped at the sudden feel of the ocean wrapping around her paws and rump. She hadn't realized the waves were getting closer and closer. With a chuckle she rose to her paws and stepped back, her tail flickering water droplets every time it wagged. As the next wave approached, the maroon female watched the approaching wave and then jumped over the crest, splashing into the water that came afterwards. As the next wave came up, Moons leaped again, playing a little game of avoid-the-wave.

It helped in lifting her spirits, as she chuckled and padded from the shoreline onto drier sand. Soon she realized there were others coming, and if they made eye contact with her, Moons would give a sheepish smile. "Good morning," she greeted sheepishly. "Come to enjoy the ocean, too?" Well, Moons couldn't help that the ocean was helping her general depression. Maybe she should come here more often and play in the waves.
Link to bin~

Characters I Actively Role-play: Moons | Corvus |Rykryk | Flamestorm | Seven |Yoki | Phoenix | Electra | Coronach | Cruciatus | Zodiac | Tide | Skylar
Been on IDS since: January 26th 2008

Offline Cockatrice

• knight errant.
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • holding back, slipping down
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Be Shore of Yourself [Setebos/Cockatrice]
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:52:11 PM »
Cockatrice was not a creature of paranoia, but he was certainly a creature of planning – diligent and dutiful, despite his odd months in Inaria he still found it difficult to rest. There was always something to be done, if one looked hard enough. There was always a friendly encounter to avoid with the stubborn patience of the surly old man he was surely becoming. The kingdom was healing, true, but the old guard did not know the half of it; for him the war had simply been a reopened wound, an injury he had suffered all his life and was as unsurprised when it was raw as he was when it was in remission. There had been nothing personal in his violent investment.

He did not humanize Saboro. He simply protected what was his – what their Sabora had no right to take.

The wolf did not know much of what had occurred on this beach, though whispers had reached him of Cappella’s return, of a miraculous birth. Cockatrice knew enough to put the pieces together – that of anyone, excluding perhaps Haven and Inaria as a whole, his mercy for Dragon had ruined her most of all. Thoughts regarding that swamp plagued him like an itch, like a scab he could not quite scrape away. Great footfalls took him closer to the encroaching water, his head low to scent the strange sand. If his actions in the marsh had elicited regret and confusion, determination was transmuting them quickly into anger, into disappointment.

Was she still out there? She would not let her machinations go. She would not let Inaria go. The Queensguard’s lip curled at the thought, and his mind quickly ran from scenario to consequence, from wolf to wolf that would best suit a tracking party. He huffed, sending sand scattering, and lifted his head to avoid breathing the dust back in.

Dark reveries did not suit the sight he stumbled upon, green eyes suddenly alight with surprise. The mahogany beast raised his head, his remaining ear fixated forward, and Moons’ playful antics drew the ghost of a smile along his broad muzzle. Too often was he lost in his own world of plan and action; Inaria did not always live as he did, but Cockatrice appreciated that about the purple nation, too. He exhaled slowly, letting the fever that consumed him subside as well, and trotted with a lighter step up to his dancing friend.

”I’ve never come down here,” he admitted, rolling his shoulders in a shrug but unable to curb his smile. The water washed over his forepaws and he curled his toes at the cold, his tail waving lazily behind him. ”I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much water before.” Cockatrice had seen so much, but this was still new – and as though Moons’ cheerful attitude had prompted it, he looked again at the endless, glittering span with fresh eyes, almost unable to fathom its very existence. It was unsettling – uncomfortable – beautiful.

”Where does it end?” Did Moons know? He asked a simple question a child might, almost profound in its ignorance, but not its innocence. His was a mind designed for war, and an open expanse of ocean was just another border.

Did you get used to it,
     or are you still up with the demons all night?
Did you get used to it,
     or do you still feel like the world is unkind?

[ #639068 ] | played by Sunblink.
         » tracker

Offline Setebos

• The flowers of naivete
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • buried in a layer of frost.
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 04:26:45 PM »
Nine months was a remarkably short time for a kingdom to heal.

It was an even shorter length of time to expect a man's wounds to stop bleeding.

The bodies of the deceased had been cleared away, and fresh, unspoiled flora grew over terrain that was once unrecognizable from the paradisaical image that was Inaria. But even if Inaria wasn't bleeding anymore, deep down, under its earth, to its very core, it was still injured; like a body that had been forced to adapt to a bullet still lodged within its gut. It had been disfigured. It wasn't the same to him anymore. It was as if all the familiar paths and landmarks had been rearranged, or placed in a different light.

Setebos went to the shoreline because he wanted to be away from the forests -- because he rarely traversed the beaches, and he could achieve some semblance of serenity by gazing over the fathomless reaches of the ocean. Somedays, Inaria was unbearable to be in, like the weight of the canopy was suffocating him. Those days were becoming more and more uncommon, but when they happened...

On the beach, the air was heady with salt, and the skies were clear and open. There were no trees out here. No bloodstained Jacarandas standing vigil. As Setebos walked, he took a moment to pick through the sands, turning over clumps of seaweed and prickly shards of seashells. He could hear seagulls squabbling over a beached jellyfish; when he turned his head, he caught them crowded around its gelatinous form, plucking at the tender membrane that encased it. He tried not to think too hard about what that reminded him of, and resumed his walk. He did, however, direct a growl to the wretched flock that sent them scattering in all directions.

(The jellyfish remained abandoned on the sands, the tide lapping in and out.)

Instead he focused on the sky. He saw Inaria in pastels (and sometimes in etiolated hues), but daybreak was perceived in rich, vibrant colors, like ruptured tangerines and grapefruit staining a lavender canvas.

As Setebos settled in, he became aware of two nearby wolves. He didn't necessarily seek out their company, but he overheard them speaking, and he knew one of the voices. The other, he was not so familiar with besides the general knowledge that he was a respected warrior in Inaria, and yet, he was still an oddity in this ancient society's upper echelons, as he took notice of the peculiar acid-green tattoos etched around his eyes.

"Where does it end?" the old Fringe dire asked. Setebos sniffed.

"Mm. Who knows," Setebos said, tossing that odd comment almost as a side-note. Maybe there was another continent just like this one on the other side of the ocean, with its own Saboro. Setebos wouldn't repeat his asinine theories aloud, however. He was content to let everyone imagine that he was just some stone cold bastard without a single spark of imagination.

Setebos sent a sidelong glance towards the crimson wolf, the one he knew. He was indebted to Moons, and so grateful for her help that he couldn't begin to comprehend it, but at the same time, being in her presence made him feel uncomfortable. He couldn't quite define the reason why he felt so restless around her -- the only way he could describe it was the feeling of unfinished business hanging over his head. But he certainly didn't dislike Moons, and he wasn't going to avoid her.

"It's been a while, Moons," Setebos greeted her, sedately. It wasn't just an empty formality. He hadn't seen her since...

Since that day in the war--

--

...He couldn't remember when he last saw her. His brain stuttered along that unwelcome tangent before he terminated all traces of virulent thought. He preferred to think that the last time they had spoken was at the Infirmary, and even then, his memory following the savage attack, and the immediate stages of his recovery, was hazy.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:27:06 PM by Setebos »

This old warship has wounds
And it won't sail for nothin'
The old sailor said to me
And I was foolish not to listen
And paid such close conscription
All the lies I believed

"But if you lend me some more labor
And put your name on paper
We just might catch a breeze"
I know now he was not a captain
Now because of all my actions
I grow alone with the sea

[ #E42217 ] | played by Sunblink
   » tracker

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
  • Liked: 926
  • Likes Given: 898
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:55:58 PM »
"I've never come down here." It was Cockatrice, one that she considered a dear friend of her's. Yes, they didn't talk often, and she didn't know whether the grizzled guard considered her one. But that didn't matter to Moons; they were brothers in arms, and by now they were more than that. She was glad, more than anything, that he was okay coming out of the war. At least physically. Looking at the two, you would know they had experienced a lot of things, most of them things that would leave them plagued with nightmares and dark thoughts that wouldn't go away.

But not here. Not right now.

Moons directed her gaze to the ocean before them both, having caught herself staring at Cockatrice a little too long. "I don't think I've ever seen this much water before." He stepped into the waves too, but this time they both simply allowed the waves to sweep over their paws as the two admired the vast greatness of it. "It is rather.. majestic, isn't it?" she asked, not really expecting an answer. It was something she simply voiced, because she did admire the ocean. It was so huge! She wondered where it led if they were to just dive in and swim endlessly into the horizon.

Then he asked an almost impossible question. "Where does it end?" Moons had no idea, and she was about to voice that reply when another voice intercepted and responded for her. "Mm. Who knows." Turning her head, she caught sight of Setebos approaching the two. Three veterans of the war that had seen much and experienced even more. "Setebos!" she greeted warmly, glad to see her friend up and about. This was another male that, despite his shorter time in Inaria, had quickly grown on her. He was always so gruff and angry-looking, and yet Moons considered him fondly.

Especially after that day... that damned day where she intercepted what would be two psychopaths attempted to disembowel Setebos right before her very eyes--

Stop.

Don't.

Please.

"It's been a while, Moons." A sharp, deep intake of breath as Moons centered herself with all of her willpower before she was lost again in those memories. Perhaps for Setebos it was blessedly hazy, but for the maroon female it would forever be etched in her mind. Not that she would ever want to burden him with that. But if she had already considered him a friend before that fateful day, then now... now he was dear to her heart. She had sacrificed a piece of herself in that battle, a piece of her soul ripped and handed to those Saborans that she would never get back as they consumed it and licked their jaws in their escape.

But that was okay. Given the chance, she would do it all over again for Setebos.

"Yes, it has been a while, hasn't it?" came the soft question-mixed-answer. An eternity spanned in her mind just now, but really only a few moments had passed. It might have come out as an almost-borderline-awkward pause between replies, but nonetheless Moons didn't think too much into it. Her mind had already tired her out without intending it. "It's great to see you here," she added to Setebos, then turning her gaze to Cockatrice as well. "Both of you." They may not know it, but these here were two men Moons would place her trust in. Completely. And that wasn't something easily accomplished.
Link to bin~

Characters I Actively Role-play: Moons | Corvus |Rykryk | Flamestorm | Seven |Yoki | Phoenix | Electra | Coronach | Cruciatus | Zodiac | Tide | Skylar
Been on IDS since: January 26th 2008