Author Topic: It ain't me, babe. [Trident]  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Brigadier

• Ukoo
  • Initiate
  • what a jerk
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
It ain't me, babe. [Trident]
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:38:17 PM »
The hound lounged upon his side underneath a scrubby sage bush, taking advantage of the brief time he’d have shade to lie in. Ukoo had been kind to him, yet the badlands were not. Brigadier was very accustomed to being a loner. As such, he had made few friends in his time here, and luckily no enemies.

His blue eyes stared disinterestedly at the dusty badlands that stretched before him. It was still early in the day, the sun was not yet at its zenith, it was a going to be a scorcher.  His eyes followed a roadrunner, hopping and flapping along, looking for bugs to eat in the cracked dry soil.  The stupid creature hopped closer. Brig eyed it curiously, it didn’t seem to even notice his presence, or it wrongly thought he was not a threat to it.

It flapped closer, pecking at a speck of rock. Brig’s muscles tensed - those things were fast, he had one shot at this. One hop closer. He lunged - jaws snapped together like a steel trap.

Unfortunately, not fast enough. The roadrunner let out an undignified squawk, sprinting away from him like greased lightning before taking to the wing and soaring off. Brigadier spit out a mouthful of feathers with a grumbling growl. He could have caught the thing without issue in his younger days, of course, he couldn’t take two steps without someone trying to tear his throat out then. He had gotten slow in his old age.

Brig was content with boredom if it meant safety. He settled back into his spot in the brush, setting his square head down on his dusty paws. He’d take boredom over a broken skull.

I’ll be gone for good, out there with the creatures in the woods
And I’ll be understood, make friends with the pagans in the nude
I’ll be no different, just a little less interested
In all that new world crap
‘Cause there ain’t no new world in the sticks

Played by Bloody

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
  • Liked: 1243
  • Likes Given: 277
Re: It ain't me, babe. [Trident]
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »
The men didn't know what to do to chase off a predator like her: a pedigree hunter, honed to face more ferocious prey than what they cultivated. Their aim was weak, so she escaped with her catch without serious injury. Blood trickled down her hind leg in small red streams, disappearing into the russet on her hock. Her ears swiveled in ear direction as she listened for anything aside from the rumble of hoof beats. The cattle lowed and snorted as the hell hound circled around the group, keeping them from wandering off as she steered them toward Ukoo.

She was lucky the cats were busy with their own things, otherwise they might have noticed her cross their territory. No matter.

The cattle, unlike the dogs she had seen with the men, were not completely domesticated. They probably found them and were on the way to taming the beasts, but now she had twenty heifers that were very displeased with her heckling. They stomped the ground and shoved their horns at her, some even breaking out to try and mow her down. Her snapping kept them going, but a big red girl decided to end the problem for all. Trident was forced to flee at a sprint as the herd turned later to follow the lead female.

That's when she turned the tables.

Trident had a five foot lead on the heifer charging after her. She turned on her heel and pivoted, coming around the cow's side like a bullet out of a gun. She grabbed the cow's ear, her own blades protecting her face as they deflected the heifer's horns. She bellowed in anger as the momentum from Trident's sudden all body punch bowled her over, legs akimbo and ass in the air. The hound let go as soon as the cow hit the ground, smoothly leaping over the writhing animal. The herd stopped, lowing and stomping as they watched the scene unfold; nervous and anxious for the female just now getting back on her hooves.

The hound licked her lips and growled. Her large ears pinned back as she showed her teeth.

Most animals would comply with her obvious demand to get back in line, but the cow was either stupid or just too headstrong. The opposing female charged again; head low, tail high, cloven hooves tearing up the ground.

The herd stayed back this time.

Trident's ears fanned back tight against her skull as she turned tail and sped into a sprint. Her spine formed C's and U's as she stretched her legs out as far as they would go, trying to put distance between herself and her foe. The problem was the chasing cow had long legs as well, so when she pivoted this time the space was only three feet. The cow also had an idea of what she was going to do, so she turned with her. Trident's lips drew back in a feral grin as she met the heifer head on, grabbing the snorting muzzle with her teeth.

Her collision changed their momentum, and Trident used it to corkscrew the both of them to the ground. Her teeth tore the cow's nostrils open, red on her tongue as the hound broke off; getting away from those sharp hooves and the power behind them as they flailed. The heifer screamed, whether in anger or pain she didn't know. The cow skidded along the ground and Trident followed her, watching her as she finally righted herself.

Cow stared at hound, both of their sides heaving, and were left at an impasse.

Trident knew she didn't have it in her to do that again. She simply wasn't designed for speed runs, and her wounded leg was screaming with pain. She tried to control her breathing, keeping her tongue in her mouth as she suffered silently. Yellow eyes bore into brown as the hound held her ground, her ears lifting to face forward. She raised her head to its full height and squared her shoulders. She wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, and the cow better get used to it. Her tail snapped behind her like a whip as she finally advanced. The blood on her leg poured more now, the streams having grown into small rivers from all of her movement.

"I can do zhis all day," She purred as she stopped an inch away from the silent herbivore. "Your choice." Her teeth, painted red with the cow's own blood, shined bright as she smiled.

The cow snorted right in her face, moisture sticking to her fur. She lowed, still angry from how fast her tail flicked behind her, but turned. She moved quickly to the other cattle, and after they checked her over (hovering around her muzzle, nosing her neck, pushing against her in quiet reassurance). As Trident approached them, steps sure and slow, they finally moved further into the hyena's territory. Their steps were quick with the hound on their heels, and this time they did not stray. The bloodied red led them, and followed the scent of water on the air.

Little did they knew the entire spectacle could be witnessed by a dog flopped on his side beneath a sage bush.

As the cattle moved inland the hound hung back, and sagged onto her haunches; leaning, not putting any weight on the scratched leg. She slackened her jaws and let her tongue finally loll out of her mouth. She lowered her head to lick at the wound, before she sank to her belly and let her leg stretch out. She panted heavily, then drew her tongue back in to let out the loudest sigh in the world. "Aggghhhhhhhhhhhh. Vhy cant' zhis be more siiimpllllle?" She closed her eyes, before her ears twitched toward Brigadier's position.

What was that?

Her head whipped right toward his direction, eyes open and searching. Due to his coat color and the fact he was laying down, she didn't immediately see him. Her ears never lied about sound. Something had to be there! So she waited for a sign of movement as she tensed up, fur bristled. "I know you're zhere!" She barked as she tried to regain her strength. She wasn't ready for a tango after fighting a wild cow, but she would if she absolutely had to.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:03:55 PM by Shroxx Greyfall »

Offline Brigadier

• Ukoo
  • Initiate
  • what a jerk
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:48:54 AM »
An entire herd of cattle was the last thing Brigadier expected to break his boredom. Yet all the same his head lifted to observe as they came into view. Led by a red female, he smelled the blood before he saw it against the cow's hide.  Curious. What had done that to her?  Blue eyes watched as they approached, eyes scanning for larger predators. An aggressive wolf or lion would be a problem, and one he should likely deal with or report. More likely the former.

Brig felt his hackles rise, and rolled further underneath the bush. He wanted to access the situation before he came charging out. Brig was an asshole, but he wasn't stupid. the cow didn't look too injured, and there was blood on its horns. Perhaps it had dealt with whatever had attacked it. Yet something didn't feel right. Then he spotted it, trailing after the herd - almost as tall as the cattle but not nearly as heavy. A sleek canine figure with its head held low, who slunk after the cattle like a red and tan shadow. Both herd and hound came closer, until they were mere spitting distance from the hound in the bush. He watched the slender canine move closer, curious who they were and what they are doing. They were tall but scrawny, he reckoned he could take them in a fight - he crept, beginning to stand. The bush above him rustled. The creature's head snapped toward him, a loud accented female voice barked, strangely familiar...

"I know you're zhere!"

Wait a effing second.

There were blades. Coming out of her face.

Sudden recognition hit Brig like a kick from an aurochs. He stood, stepping forward rapidly, his face more surprised then angry as he barked in response. "Oy! You took my turtle!"

It was a face that was hard to forget, what with all the horns sticking out of it.  Brigadier charged out from his bush, squaring his posture confidently. He stopped about ten feet away from her, a large enough distance he'd have time to get ready should she come for him. Her face was familiar, but the details were fuzzy. A wiser dog might have been intimidated by the strange creature staring down at him, twice his height with blade-like horns framing her pointed muzzle. Yet no one would use the word "wise" to describe Brigadier.

His jowls curled up in a sneer. "Long time no see, Forkface."

Played by Bloody

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 01:49:55 PM »
"Oy! You took my turtle!"

...What?

That was the last thing she ever expected to be yelled at her as the unknown revealed himself to be a spotted dog. (Is that what he was? Definitely not skulzo, maybe a relative to the painted dogs?) His ears looked soft as they flopped against his head. Her head canted to the side, golden eyes puzzled as she tried to figure him out. Why was he-?

"Long time no see, Forkface."

Her eyes widened comically. He was-!

"You're zhe beach bum!" Trident barked as she pushed herself up into a sitting position. She drew her tail closer to her as she looked at him; leaning over to lick at her wounded leg. It'd been a while since she'd last seen him, but she'd never forget.

It had been about a week since she'd washed up on the glacial beach: the worst environment for someone built like her, only suitable to unbearably hot places. She was losing her mind and health from starving when she came across him. He'd been... more heavily spotted instead of speckled like now, but what he had with him is what she wanted: food. He had a dead sea turtle, and she stole it from him to survive. How she managed to outrun the more healthy animal at the time remained a mystery, but if she hadn't taken it...

She definitely would have died.

"How've you been?" She rumbled as she lifted her head from her leg, bloodied teeth bared in a very tired grin. "How did you get here to this Fisi Ukoo?" Her eyes ran over him as she waited for his reply. He didn't smell new, so he had been here for a while. Hiding during the monsoon, perhaps? It wouldn't surprise her, but they definitely could have used his help during the flood. Hyenas were lax like that though, and didn't kick out the more useless seeming members. They just got... demoted.

How weird. Oh well. Hyenas were weird: little pig nosed bone biters.

Trident blinked and slowly reclined back onto her belly. He smelled of the land, so he was a member here, and there was no need to be on guard.

Offline Brigadier

• Ukoo
  • Initiate
  • what a jerk
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
Brigadier scowled back at her as her head tilted at him in confusion. He wouldn't be surprised if she didn't remember him, in comparison to her, Brig was a very mundane creature. He was just a standard run of the mill mutt after all, and she...she was whatever the eff she was. Hellion? Hellhound? He wasn't sure if the term was offensive, not that he really gave a damn either. He was glad she hadn't reacted to him with hostility, it was good to see a familiar face - horns and all.

"You're zhe beach bum!" Her eyes widened in recognition, and Brig's lips curled upwards in a smirk.

"Bum? That's rich comin' from a thief..." He laughed, a coarse and jarring sound, but it was clear from his tone that Brigadier did not hold a grudge. He'd give her hell about it certainly, but he wasn't going to pitch a fit over some half-rotten turtle that was more work to eat than it was worth. He eyed her curiously, it had been a long time. She was a scrawny thing, but seemed more filled out and healthy than he last saw her. Brig searched his memory for her name, but couldn't find it. Perhaps she had never told him, after all their last conversation had consisted mostly of 'get back here with my food, you little crap' until he had given up when he realized how hungry and desperate the creature was.

Sides, Brigadier was a different man from those days. He went by a different name.

"How've you been? How did you get here to this Fisi Ukoo?"

It was his turn to cock his head curiously. He was still getting used to the strange terms the hyenas used, and they were even more difficult to decipher in her accented voice. Once he figured out what she meant he raised an eyebrow. "I could ask the same."

Still he supposed he owed her an answer first. "Was in a bad way, tried to skirt around the savannah where all those damn cats live but didn't realize how damn big it was. Needed water, found Ukoo." He spoke matter of factly, glossing over the details and rolling his shoulders as if his brush with death via dehydration was no big deal. In truth, he'd been in worse scrapes.

Life in Ukoo had been hard but peaceful, something he hadn't had the leisure of in a long time. The weather was brutal, but he preferred the heat to the freezing cold beach they had met on any day. He hadn't felt very at home however,  he pretty much kept to himself - he felt the hyenas likely viewed him as an outsider despite their acceptance.  Though they were a pretty varied bunch - lions, hellions, painted dogs, and him... a scruffy little hound dog. It couldn't compare to Niburu - that was the only place he had truly felt at home...

He shook his head, his ears flopping nosily as he did so. There was no use in dwelling on that, he had a home and a familiar face to talk to. Even if she were a mere acquaintance. His blue eyes shifted to the scratch on her leg, chuckling in a teasing tone; "Did Bessie over there bite ya?"

Played by Bloody

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 03:17:53 PM »
"Bum? That's rich comin' from a thief..."

So he did remember. Her ears fanned out sheepishly, but otherwise she showed no signs of regret. She stretched her hind legs out behind her and made herself more comfortable while her left ear swiveled outward. From what she could hear, the cattle were settling down just fine, so she put them on the back burner. Why worry when there was no need?

"I could ask the same." Trident opened her mouth to reply, but stopped when he kept on going. "Was in a bad way, tried to skirt around the savanna where all those damn cats live but didn't realize how damn big it was. Needed water, found Ukoo."

Something seemed to register as her golden eyes began to shine, the corners crinkling as a slow smile spread over her face. "So you could say zhis here Fisi Ukoo vas your turtle?" Trident looked quite pleased with herself at the little joke, mentally patting herself on the back for such a fine achievement. And without a stutter! Good day, indeed. She shook her head, and then added with a shrug, "I found zhis here Fisi Ukoo sometime after I left zhe beach. Maybe a month since I stole your turtle?" Her eyes danced, still finding the whole situation humorous. Who would have thought they would meet again after such a disastrous first encounter? "Been here ever since," She sighed, "And Fisi Flechette asked for me to help vith zheir military protocol. Zhey are..." She paused, thinking of a word, and settled for, "Lacking."

"Did Bessie over there bite ya?"

What? The hellion blinked rapidly, ears twitching on top of her head, completely caught off guard by the question. Her eyes followed his gaze, and she understood he was talking about her leg. She looked from him, to her wound, and then back to him; processing his question with dial-up speed. Then she leaned toward him, stretching out her neck as if she was trying to literally look inside of his mind. Was he... stupid? "...No," She finally answered after an awkward moment of silence, of her just staring deep into his eyes as she tried to pick him apart with her failed telepathic powers, "Zhe Bessie did not bite me." Now she was just unsure of him, but-?

Her ears suddenly shot up as a light bulb went off. Oh! That had to be a joke.

It wasn't very funny.

Trident scowled at him as her ears pinned back, but she let it go as she just shook her head at him; eyes closed, a sigh tumbling past her lips. "I stole zhe cattle from a man camp, about a day's journey from here." She motioned to the west with a paw. "Zhe only problem, is I think zhey're all... girl cows?" She wasn't sure if that was the proper way to say it, but at least he knew what she was talking about. "Ve're gonna need some boy cows, because I have plans for zhe cattle." She nodded her head in a matter of fact fashion. Then her eyes sparked with glee as she asked him, almost giddy, "You vanna know zhe plan?" She hadn't told a soul, not even Fisi Flechette, but she wanted it to be a surprise! And oh boy, was it going to be for Ukoo.

Offline Brigadier

• Ukoo
  • Initiate
  • what a jerk
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 12:09:03 AM »
He chuckled at her sheepish expression at his teasing tone. Yet she did not balk or show any sign of obvious regret, not that he really expected her too. In fact, Brigadier simply was trying to get a rise out of her with his playful insult. His gaze flicked to the cattle behind her - they seemed calm enough.

She listened attentively to his bare bones story, not seeming to mind the lack of details or his irreverent tone. "So you could say zhis here Fisi Ukoo vas your turtle?" Brig smiled, more so at the glee on her face than her humor.

"I 'spose it was."

"I found zhis here Fisi Ukoo sometime after I left zhe beach. Maybe a month since I stole your turtle?" He nodded to show he was listening attentively. She had been here a long time then. He wondered how he had never seen her around - yet Brig supposed it wasn't much of a surprise, he was pretty reclusive.

"Been here ever since, and Fisi Flechette asked for me to help vith zheir military protocol. Zhey are...Lacking."

Brig threw back his head with a derisive barking laugh. "What military?" The closest thing he had seen to an Ukoo military was a couple of border patrol sentries, a meager handful at best. Heckler had her own guards, but he had yet to see anything that suggested a sense of discipline or military might in Ukoo. They were lucky this place was so remote - most invaders would be defeated by the landscape before they ever set foot in Ukoo territory. Regardless, the hyenas were good folk, and he owed them enough that he'd do no more than mock their lack of military.

The hellion's bemused reaction to his joke made him chuckle; the slow head tilt, the rapid blink, and the curious yellow eyes regarding him with confusion. "...No, Zhe Bessie did not bite me." She spoke slowly and awkwardly and Brig's crap-eating grin couldn't get any wider without splitting his face. The dawning realization that it was a joke and the ill-tempered scowl were even funnier and he started sI am pretty dumbing under his breath. It was cute.

"I stole zhe cattle from a man camp, about a day's journey from here." Brig stopped his sneering, suddenly serious. He had not known that men lived so close to here. That made him nervous. Yet he shook that feeling off as she continued.  "Zhe only problem, is I think zhey're all... girl cows? Ve're gonna need some boy cows, because I have plans for zhe cattle." He glanced over the herd, they certainly were all female judging from size and horns. He had been around cows a decent bit years ago, back when he had lived among humans... cattle were stupid beasts but they could be dangerous if underestimated. Bulls in particular were bad-tempered and dangerous.

"Best be careful, Fork.... Boy cows really will bite ya." The joke would likely go over her head, but his tone was serious enough that it was evident the warning was serious despite his lackadasical wording. He eyed the cattle curiously, wondering what she planned to do with them. If she wanted to keep the herd close, care for them like the men did, it would take a lot of work. Without buildings or pens to keep them, someone would have to guard the herd constantly against them wandering and other predators.

"You vanna know zhe plan?"
She said with a devious grin.

Brig shrugged his shoulders, it wouldn't hurt to listen to the hellion's crazy scheme. "Might as well."

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:10:27 AM by Brigadier »

Played by Bloody