Author Topic: flight feathers, reprise [ prp; S ]  (Read 913 times)

Offline Francisca

• Gemini
  • Regular
  • i'm sorry i'm not honest
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 1
flight feathers, reprise [ prp; S ]
« on: April 30, 2016, 09:16:53 PM »
Darkness. It was always darkness.

Days outside the abyss had blurred together into near meaninglessness. Had she actually escaped it? Or was the outside air some wild fever dream? Yet the swamp and jungle of Saboro were just as she remembered it. Just like when she was a little girl... And like that, too, she had hidden. Because there seemed no other option. Sure, she could return to the world at large, reclaim her place and work for her title again. But every time the thought crossed her mind so did a shadow (of what? she didn't know). Who was it? The memory of Uncle Coven, crooning sweet threats and advice mingle into one? The last dying breath of Flynn? The shadows of trees that had stretched and swallowed the memory of her puppyhood.

Today, it was ash.

Earthquakes weren't so strange, but suddenly the sky ignited with darkness and fire. As if things hadn't been bad enough! At first she had simply hidden away at the edge of the territory, watching the sky with a wide eye and feeling her isolation crushing her. For so long, she had been certain that her death was always around the corner - had the Reaper finally come to collect? But as the second night of darkness crept on and the fires grew closer and closer to her refuge, there was no choice.

In the firelight, she remembered: when she was young, she had tried to flee. It'd only been because she'd stumbled into a group destroying an intruder that she hadn't. She had helped them, and her mother, kill the stranger so she herself would not die. Back then, fate had decided she wasn't allowed to run.

But... now?

Maybe it was instinct more than anything, but something clutched her and she ran. The flames grew high around her, threatening to jump to her fur or fill her lungs with smoke. It was only as she climbed up onto a fallen tree, free of fire but only for now, that she dared to look back. And who was there?

The only person it could be. The only person Francisca wanted to see. The one person she couldn't bare to see.

"Katti," she said, raising her voice over the roar of the fire despite the way it cracked. What had damaged it most - the isolation of the Abyss, the fire and ash, or the thorns suddenly clawing at her heart? Fire light illuminated them both, like some sick twisted version of moonlight, and she remembered a night spent in Sol Katti's den a long time ago. "Come with me," she finally pleaded. They could run, and nobody would ever know. Saboro would think they had died to the flame, never ask questions. They could have a new life elsewhere, anywhere else-

But deep down, Franky already knew what the answer would be. Deep down Sol Katti could never leave the jungle, and deep down there had always been something in Francisca that drew her away and away and away.

how long, baby, have i been away?
oh, it feels like ages though you say it's only days
there ain't language for the things i've seen
and the truth is stranger than my own worst dreams
the truth is stranger than all my dreams
oh, the darkness got a hold on me

i have seen what the darkness does
say goodbye to who I was
i ain't never been away so long
don't look back them days are gone
played by spearstrike

Offline Sol Katti

• Saboro
  • Regular
  • Lies are wide and black and blue
  • Liked: 161
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: flight feathers, reprise [ prp; S ]
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 03:04:38 AM »
I love the lines we draw, amber and indigo
Oh my baby love, you make the heavens show
You make me cry, cry, cry, cry

Dainty paws had taken her deeper and deeper into the heart of Saboro's wrath in a desperate wife's frantic search for shades of ebony and cream. Coven, Coven, Coven. She needed to find him—they would burn or survive together there was no other option, no other way.

She needed to find him, she—

This was not the scarlet gaze she sought. This was not the shade of ebony her fretful sea foam eyes darted about for. Not these dreaded, beloved, hues of blue, and that single scarlet eye. "Francisca." Breathed through parted lips in what could be a whisper of awe or horror. "Francisca." Perhaps there was so much truth in finding what you've lost when in search of something else. Ironic, horrible, painful, how after resigning her endless searches for her blue beauty to hopeless dreams, that very blue beauty appears in her search for another.

And in this horrible moment, Sol Katti couldn't find it in herself to be angry. She couldn't even remember what she was doing in this burning jungle to begin with. Sabora, Sabora, Sabora! Shrill screaming against foxlike ears in desperate reminder. "Quiet." The spotted lady breathed, dismissing her kingdom's pleas in favor of staring at what could very well be a dream.

Or a nightmare.

Katti.

Slender legs carried her closer, wide doe eyes never for a moment leaving the curves of Francisca's face,  committing the sight of her to memory. "I—" Voice teetered with pain and longing, rendering her speechless. It was then that Sol Katti noticed the ravine, the tree bridge, her blue beauty standing on the gate between her and freedom. "What are you doing...?" But she already knew. Oh she already knew.

Ice clawed up her legs, her chest, her throat. The metallic birdcage of her ribs seemed to constrict cruelly upon all that lay within, crushing a lockbox heart and cracking the lid for all its contents to spill.

"Franky—"

Come with me,

Petite frame leaned a fraction of an inch closer, lips parted as though for a willowy whisper of okay to drift into the air between them.

Only for a sob to escape instead.

Mismatched features crumpled, head swiftly bowing to hide away the broken expression in the next second. "I..." Windchime voice shook and strained, pausing to choke back the shards of glass that clawed down her trachea. "I always thought we'd be Saborakos together." It was a quiet admittance, something whispered like a silly secret shared between gossiping girls. She had dreamed they'd patrol Saboro's borders until their last breaths. Together, always. Sol Katti and her Franky, Francisca and her Katti. But it hadn't been what Saboro wanted. "I didn't want anything to change, I wanted us to stay together. I dreamed you'd be my Wing or my Hawk." Time and time again Sol Katti gazed at Rine with eyes that only wished for blue in place of russet.

"I didn't want anything to change."

Didn't Franky remember? That beautiful night that felt like so long ago. "Nothing has changed, remember?" Nothing should have changed. "You said you would stay as long as I want you to. You promised me, Francisca!" And suddenly she was launching forward, teeth bared with parted jaws and mismatched expression distorted in betrayal and pain and—

Sol Katti skidded to a halt at the tree bridge's beginning, wrangling her rage back into Pandora's box, fiercely shoving Saboro's blood lusting encouragement away. "But... I promised you'd always be safe with me." She couldn't attack her. Not now, not ever. "Will you remember when we raced for our ranks, when we patrolled together? Fought together? Smiled and talked together? Will you remember that night? Everything we've done together? Will you remember me?" Sol Katti, not the queen with red embroidered around her eyes. Not Sabora, just... Sol Katti. Her Katti.

Would Francisca want to remember the spotted girl in her jungle of horrors? Or would she run far, far away, and never again turn to glance in the direction of a red jungle to remember the girl with sea foam eyes and willowy windchime whispers?

Come with me, It echoed in her ears, soft and pleading and full of promise. Full of everything that could have been. It would echo in her ears for years to come. Sol Katti would remember—she always remembered.

"At least remember... At least know I loved you first."

But both she and Francisca knew that Sol Katti could not love her last.

I'm not wrecking my metaphors whole
I'll take it by the horns then ride like I'm queen of it all
When I’m righteous or ready
When I’m callous or crazy
When I'm crowning the top of the world
When my power is frightening and my destiny's shining
Know that I’m always your girl
You make me cry, cry, cry, cry
Voodoo spell, ocean mouth
Like a whale swallows you whole
Dentless, merciless, dentless
Merciless dictator, she slays the necks of giraffes
Merciless dictator, she sleeps on pillows made of zebra skin
Oh squawking talking blasted pigeon
Parrot portuguese black icky tongue
And purple cloud, dry like painted desert flowers

Poison her tears are poison, her tears are poison,
Her tears are...
Poison her tears are poison, her tears are poison,
Her tears are...

Watch out for the snakes
Watch out for the velvet cross
Watch out for the panthers leaping from her spit~

#36e892
-- Played by Tranquility

Offline Francisca

• Gemini
  • Regular
  • i'm sorry i'm not honest
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: flight feathers, reprise [ prp; S ]
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 05:04:53 PM »
Just as she had hoped, just as she had feared, the burning forest parted and brought Sol Katti forward. Francisca felt her heart leap to her throat just as it always had, and she felt tears burn at the corner of her single eye. Katti said her name and it was like music against the cacophany of the jungle. Yet for all the wonder of her Queen's beauty, all the joy, it didn't change her mind. Oh, she had hoped it would, that the wild fantasy of running would die at the sigh of the Sabora. It didn't. It didn't.

Here, perhaps, was Franky's last cruelty: she could not bring herself to touch Sol Katti. No gentle goodbye kisses, no intimate brushes of fur together, no licking away her once-beloved's tears. Franky just bowed her head and cried at Sol Katti's words. She remembered, she remembered.

When Sol Katti lunged forward she tilted her head up,exposed her throat. To die by Sol Katti's fangs would be as sweet of a freedom of escape, but it never came.

"I did wrong by you, Katti," she said quietly. "I broke a lot of promises. But yours- oh, I- Katti-" Her voice swam and she sucked in a wheezing breath. Franky remembered their frantic sentry recruitment, how they paced the borders together, that warm night in Sol Katti's den. A promise she'd broken. She'd never met Katti's children. The truth was, she could never have kept that promise. "Katti I'm- I'm sorry, it was always my fault, you deserved someone better, I-"

Franky raised her head to look her wispy girl in the eyes.

"I would have given you everything, Katti. I just never had anything to give."

The roar of the fire was getting louder - she would need to leave soon. As a final act she smiled, tears running down her cheek, but heavy with the weight of their memories. She couldn't give Katti a promise, but she could give her a truth: "I could never forget."

All this time, she'd been Sol Katti's ghost. The least she could do was exorcise herself and free Sol Katti of that weight. With the burden of her love on her back, Franky turned and bound away from the scene to free Katti of anything she might have thought she'd owed Franky.

Absolution.

how long, baby, have i been away?
oh, it feels like ages though you say it's only days
there ain't language for the things i've seen
and the truth is stranger than my own worst dreams
the truth is stranger than all my dreams
oh, the darkness got a hold on me

i have seen what the darkness does
say goodbye to who I was
i ain't never been away so long
don't look back them days are gone
played by spearstrike