Author Topic: Oukoku-Kai: The Condensed Version  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Anamelech

• She seems dressed in all the rings of past fatalities
  • Leader
  • Regular
  • so fragile, yet so devious
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 22
Oukoku-Kai: The Condensed Version
« on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:11 PM »
I created this guide as an abridged version of the stickies that we have at the top of this board, specifically meant for people who are intimidated by the sheer volume of information about DV's culture and customs. I'm hoping that this will help the pack be more accessible! At the end of the day, you don't really have to know everything there is to know about DV in order to have fun here. You just need to know what's important.

I'll be editing and adding things as time goes on, and I'll answer any questions that outsiders (or members) have about the pack's structure! :>

On Houses and Bonds:

Houses are basically the mentorship program of Oukoku-Kai; a way for elder, more experienced wolves to introduce younger ones to their culture. Houses are like families, kind of. Think of a teacher-student relationship. It's an honorable, tight-knit system which is very, very important to the fabric of Oukoku-Kai's society.
  • A Shogun is the head of House, or rather, the one that founded the house.
    • A Shogun’s bonds can also bond other wolves, but those bonds ultimately answer to the Shogun.
  • A wolf can bond any wolf as long as they're not already bonded to someone else, and as long as they're beneath them in rank.
  • You bond a wolf basically by saying so. Their consent ultimately doesn't matter.
  • If a wolf doesn't like being someone else's bond, the only way they can get out is by challenging the one who bonded them.
  • There are True Bonds and there are False Bonds. Here are the differences:
    • True Bonds are wolves trained to be your heir, to take over the house when you are sick or unable to, and to inherit all the bonds their master has collected. A True Bond is not chosen lightly. They represent the House, so their mistakes ultimately lead back to the Shogun. Usually, higher ranked wolves only have one True Bond. True Bonds can only be released from their bond if they successfully fight for their freedom.
    • False Bonds are the bulk of the House. They can be traded to other Houses. They cannot inherit anything from their bonder. If they make a mistake, their Shogun suffers less consequences. False Bonds can be released from their bonds if they obtain a higher rank, and do not have to fight for their freedom.

• A wolf's children are considered honorary members of the House until they come of age, and are ready to be bonded by other wolves.

Here's a visual example of Sphinx's old house, and how each bond led back to the Shogun, Grendel.

click to enlarge/shrink!

On Oukoku-Kai's Rules, Conduct and Culture:
  • This is a very barbaric, very militant, very brutal society, yet you must still refrain from dishonoring your fellow wolf, as (in theory) they are your brother. Violence is ingrained in their teachings and basest interactions with wolves.
  • This is a pack of religious zealots.
  • Respect of authority is key.
  • The Rosas' word is law. They are Gods given physical form, after all.
  • Oukoku-Kai's culture is ultimately a celebration of brutality and bloodshed, the supremacy of strong, healthy wolves.
  • Disputes are resolved through duels.
  • No weakness, ever.
  • No dogs, but halfbreeds can squeak by if they look sufficiently wolf-like.
  • Everyone outside of Oukoku-Kai is a heathen.
  • You never call the Rosa by their birth names -- and that shouldn't be common knowledge. It's either their summon names (which is usually listed in the Rosa's profile) or their titles (which are below). Outside of Oukoku-Kai, the Rosa go by their battle titles -- The Tactician for the Red, the War Chief for the Yellow, and the General for the White.
  • Bondless are the unbonded; the new, blind, unenlightened ones.
  • Slaves have a chance for redemption as long as they are indoctrinated into the Oukoku-Kai religion! Then they can become Bondless.
  • All Youth have a Rite of Passage which determines whether or not they're ready to cross into adulthood. It's basically just when a priest has them pass a religious test.

On Oukoku-Kai's Religion:
  • About the Rosa:
    • White Rose (Rosa Gigantea): Cunning, unpredictable, merciless.
    • Red Rose (Rosa Chinensis): Calculating, cool, intelligent.
    • Yellow Rose (Rosa Foetida) Honorable, courageous, proud.
  • From the Bible: "Summarily, which of the three gods individual Oukoku members most relate to or attempt to call upon during a battle depends on their personalities, beliefs and general motives." Remember that you must treat all the Rosa with respect even if they are not your cardinal god.
  • The religion can be summed up like this: WHAT THE ROSA SAY, GOES. They created all of existence.
  • "The Red Dragon" is the antichrist figure of Oukoku-Kai. Shhhh she's actually Azuhel. ALL WORSHIP OF HER IS CONDEMNED >:E
  • FIRE IS EVIL. It is a weapon of the Red Dragon.
  • Red Rose favors Tacticians and the Priesthood, White loves Slavers, and Yellow is fond of the warrior class. Just because your character is in a certain rank favored by a certain Rosa doesn't mean that they have to follow that Rosa.
  • Everyone outside of Oukoku-Kai is a heathen until the day they come to the borders.
  • "Ragnarok" is the name of the end of days; the ultimate war. All wolves live in preparation for this day.

While there IS a seriously detailed expose of Oukoku-Kai mythology, it's not necessary to know all of those things; just as long as you know enough to portray a functioning member of Oukoku society. I would say that this is the most important page of the Culture Study, since it elaborates on just how a DV citizen should conduct themselves.

Remember: if you're confused about anything at all, you can always ask one of the Rosa to explain things to you! Our characters may be mean, but we're nice people.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:40:12 PM by Sunblink [Tieguanyin] »

In the wasteland, on the way to the Red Queen
It's no wonder our stage clothes have dreams to be famous
The trees in the courtyard are painted in blood,
So I've heard she hangs the headless
Upside down to drain.

[ #B30000 ] | played by Sunblink since 12/10/14.
   » tracker
[4:35:43 PM] Shakrashi: aneamalichk and her grandpa corw

Offline Tolf

• Officially retired as a roleplayer.
  • Kink-Shaming Brigade
  • Hero
  • I had a great time. <3
    • DeviantArt
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1868
Re: Oukoku-Kai: The Condensed Version
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:58:27 AM »
Omg thankyou I waited all my life for this.

Offline Sunblink

• Hero
  • have only one waifu, or it will ruin your laifu
    • My status
    • FurAffinity
  • Liked: 2649
  • Likes Given: 3662
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 02:38:06 PM »

Just remember that this guide was made possible by the best Rosa, White Rose. B) Therefore everyone should join my order.

Offline Tolf

• Officially retired as a roleplayer.
  • Kink-Shaming Brigade
  • Hero
  • I had a great time. <3
    • DeviantArt
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1868
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
Duly noted

Offline Achilles

• Death Valley
  • Regular
  • Yellow Seour
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 05:07:01 PM »

Just remember that this guide was made possible by the best Rosa, White Rosa Foetida. B) Therefore everyone should join HER order.

Offline Anamelech

• She seems dressed in all the rings of past fatalities
  • Leader
  • Regular
  • so fragile, yet so devious
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »

Just remember that this guide was made possible by the best Rosa, White Rosa Foetida. B) Therefore everyone should join HER order.

In the wasteland, on the way to the Red Queen
It's no wonder our stage clothes have dreams to be famous
The trees in the courtyard are painted in blood,
So I've heard she hangs the headless
Upside down to drain.

[ #B30000 ] | played by Sunblink since 12/10/14.
   » tracker
[4:35:43 PM] Shakrashi: aneamalichk and her grandpa corw

Offline Achilles

• Death Valley
  • Regular
  • Yellow Seour
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 05:54:37 PM »
you wish midget