Author Topic: It Starts (Uduak/Open)  (Read 1932 times)

imani_

It Starts (Uduak/Open)
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:56:01 PM »
The skies opened up and pissed down on the pair of dogs like an incontinent old man and Imani wondered if it was some kind of omen. She also wondered if she had doomed Uduak to a life he didn't want to live. The painted dog knew he would follow her to the end of the earth if it meant staying with one of his own but something uneasy settled in his demeanor when they arrived to the hyena's territory. Maybe it was the hyena queen herself or that faint stench of cat that clung to the tall grass that licked their spotted legs. The rain had washed away most scent aside from those of mud and worms and Imani found herself missing the warm, dry sun. She sought shelter on a small hill under a tree, still wet, but at least she could lie down without sinking into the earth. The dog needed to consult her companion.

You don't have to be a Sentinel if you don't want,” she said rather abruptly. “You don't have to commit yourself to the same work that we did as Rangers. You are free to make your own choice, Uduak.”

Imani didn't meet her friend's eyes as she said this, instead regarding the pale sky with interest, listening to the hushed hissing of rain with her perked, rounded ears. The hyenas had been more kind than she expected to let the wild dogs in among their cackle. The ex-Rangers were superior hunters to those whooping beasts, but after their war band fell apart they would be helpless from an attack in those numbers. Imani never told them the full story of what brought Uduak and her here, but she didn't entirely lie to them either.

The dog sighed out her nostrils. Nothing was easy.

I don't know if you'll believe me but I think things will get better for us here.

Offline Sitiden

• Formerly Coldfeather
  • Hero
    • My status
  • Liked: 1765
  • Likes Given: 1187
Re: It Starts (Uduak/Open)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »
It had proven to be an exceptionally raining season for the the typically scorched region. For most it might be a relief, but Uduak was over the mud. He had made an oath to himself he'd never curse the sun beating down on his back again. But it was more than the weather that unsettled the dog. The Painted Ranger were no more, and with their numbers his identity was lost as well. Uduak was now forced to live among hyenas now, and lions. It seemed so wrong, but Imani thought it was best. And he trusted her completely.

He was with her now, taking what little shelter the could under a tree. Imani may no longer be his leader, but he still looked to her. They had not dwelled in Ukoo long, but they'd proven themselves worthy of a lofty rank. Sentinel of the Queen had thus far proven a simple rank in this sleepy clan, hence why he an Imani could be found resting this moment. He looked to her when he was addressed.

"I know, Co-uh, Imani," in some ways he did, he didn't lie to his former commander. But when everything had been chosen for him his whole life, what was he to do? "But I know what I'm doing as a sentinel. We're made for this."

He followed her gaze upwards. Rain often symbolized rebirth, regrowth. Perhaps the persistent drizzle helped herald in Uduak's new start. He didn't feel that way. Change was not what he wanted, not unless things would revert back to normal. Eyes went back to his companion as she spoke again.

"I still trust you, if you really think this is the right thing to do."

Trust, yes. But he still held some trepidation.

imani_

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 12:49:33 AM »
We’re made for this.

An icy cold, sharp as a blade, shot up Imani’s spine and her dark eyes darted to Uduak. Wild dogs are not aggressive to their own and nothing malicious showed in the stern look Imani gave her once-subordinate. They were a civilized creature and their futures should hold more than any common wolf. They did not need to be bound by hyena limits either. Imani huffed and her form sagged when she remembered that they could have gone anywhere but she brought them to Ukoo. Uduak was a fool for following her so blindly but his only other option was to split off and with him their rate of survival would drop.

We don’t have to be made for this now, Uduak. We can do whatever we want,” Imani muttered, the shelter of the canopy muting the rain enough for her to be heard. “What they did to us was wrong. We should have been allowed to walk as equals then and to be respected as fellow pack members instead of tools. If their plan had worked you and I wouldn’t be here.

Imani slid down on her belly, resting her head against long legs, fighting a growing shiver from the wet. They said this was a monsoon, an excess of rain, and for a moment she closed her eyes to feel its weight on her soggy pelt. She wanted to banish thoughts of the past from her mind but it was difficult to do when they wore fresh scars. How long would it be until time smoothed the edges of those memories cleansed her as the rain did and she could accept what had happened?

Not until she could forget those young scouts dying, necks crushed between the jaws of those feline devils.

I don’t know what is right,” She admitted with her eyes still closed. “I do know that we can’t go back. If the lions don’t find us our pack will and they will brand us traitors and see us banished anyway…or killed. If any of the Rangers made it out of that situation alive they will be looking for me so wandering around for all my days would be a disservice to them. I suppose we could have started our own pack but neither of us would know what the hell we were doing, unless you’re keeping something from me, Uduak?

A ghost of a smirk tugged at her dark lips, but she kept her eyes closed and didn’t move.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:49:54 AM by Imani. »

Offline Sitiden

• Formerly Coldfeather
  • Hero
    • My status
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:00:52 PM »
Large ears fell back slightly under Imani's gaze, though he didn't look away. He listened carefully to what she had to say. It was easier now to imagine the creation and treatment of the Painted Rangers was less than ethical. After they sent his brothers and sister off like lambs for slaughter while the rest of the pack ran to safety. But after a lifetime of such treatment, of being told to do instead of told to think, it would take a while for the dog to fully grasp his companion's words. There was still a part of Uduak, far back in his brain, that wanted Imani to keep up the hunt for the others. But logic overran fear and nostalgia. Even if he had to live among strange beasts life was better here than his home.

"I know that." He conceded with a sigh, "But it's all I know. Maybe with time I'll find another path to take."

Uduak lifted his head as a distant, gentle roll of thunder cut through the continuous pattern of rain. He shook what moisture from his coat that he could, no matter how futile the act. Imani chose to lay down, but Uduak would elect to sit. Old habits died hard and he wished to keep an eye on the horizon. The dog slowly eased his back end down. All this moisture was bad for old war wounds. His spots hid his scars well but moments like these it was hard to ignore the once crushed bones in his rear leg. Uduak could live his whole life happily never seeing a lion again.

Eyes left the landscape and went to Imani. Hearing her admit her doubts gave him a sinking feeling. She had always been so sure. If she couldn't be sure, how could he be? Ears swiveled forward when she spoke the hope of other survivors. Maybe she was right. Staying in one place would be best, but was this the right place.

"I'm not hiding anything," he chuckled warmly, the joke not lost, "I'm afraid I'd be lost in that department, ma'am." Uduak quickly shook his head as a drop of rain landed on his ear, "Do you think there are others? Maybe we could ask those to patroll the borders to keep an eye out for them."

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
  • Liked: 1243
  • Likes Given: 277
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 11:12:48 AM »
Rain, rain, rain!

All it did was rain! She yearned for the sun scorched wind to tussle the grass again, and feel the crunch of the dry earth beneath her paws. She missed the heat that used to lay upon her back, and now there was only muggy air trying to smother her. Water constantly assaulted her, drenched her, and dripped from the blades on her forehead into her eyes. It was annoying, but even more upsetting was the terrain had turned to sludge. Gallons of muck and mud made up what had once been solid, dusty ground. Every step seemed to make a wet sucking sound, and it made hunting rather difficult. It was better where the grass was, but out in the open it reminded her of the sinking sands. She snorted, sending droplets flying before her ears snapped up. They twitched faintly, and then swiveled left. She did not recognize the voice.

"Do you think there are others? Maybe we could ask those to patrol the borders to keep an eye out for them."

It was difficult to make out over the rain's din, but from what she could tell the voice was masculine. It wasn't deep either, which meant the boy was young or lacked the depth in his vocal cords. She could just keep going the way she was, heading back to where she had last seen Fisi Flechette. Her eyes trailed north toward the no man's land, but then strayed back. Whoever he was could have seen the hyena male, and maybe point her in the right direction. Deciding to trust her gut, she moved out. Grime slathered legs carried her easily toward the wild dogs, and paused when she could make out their blurry shapes through the hundreds of rain drops. She didn't know if they were exactly friends, but from the way he talked?

They were comrades at least.

"Oi!" She barked at them. Her steps were slow and loud, because she didn't want to spook them into aggressive action. She wasn't in the mood to fight, but if they were young upstarts she would be quick to put them in their place. She stopped a few feet away from them. Her head was high and her ears erect. Her legs were posed in a way should they try to do anything, she would be able to spring into action. She didn't mean to stand this way, but old habits died hard. "S'nice veather ve're having, yeah?" She let her lips crack into a toothy smile as she casually looked them over. They were caked in the same layers she was, and she doubted they were invaders.

So she decided to be bold and get just a little closer, standing off to the side of the dogs. She shook her head again, and looked at them. "Designation, Trident. Velcome to this here Fisi Ukoo. Who," She canted her head to the side, "Are you?"

Offline Lilliana

• The Queen's Shadow
  • Initiate
  • Whoa, Mona Lisa
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 07:30:57 PM »
The tall, pale lioness slipped silently but visibly up the the pair of wild dogs and the other canine. The rain had soaked her pelt until the thin layer of fur stuck to her skin like algae on a river stone. Her large paws were coated in a mushy layer of redish brown mud that covered the ground like a disgusting carpet. No matter the benefits of rain, The Shadow of the Queen hated the occurrence.

Lilliana towered over all other members of the gathering. As she approached, she lowered her head in a sort of respect to the others so they would not have to stargaze to see her eyes.
"Whats the cause of a gathering like this in such poor weather," the lioness asked the collection of canines with a slight irritated tone in her voice.

Lilliana had decided that this day was a foul one to be making sure the group was content with their lives. How could anyone be content when the rain practically was rotting the flesh off their bones as they spoke and attended their daily business?

imani_

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
Imani was silent on the topic of choosing their own path; the discussion seemed finished. Uduak laughed but it felt cold against her ears and her smirk faded. They needed to joke and laugh to not be driven mad by their own pain but Imani felt she wasn’t the best dog for this duty. She had never been famed for being personable. Uduak asked if she thought there were others and hope rekindled in her chest, a warm flame of comfort which could be chalked up as bull-headed faith. In this she was needlessly optimistic but she was not ready to let go of the possibility her Rangers were out there, looking for them, searching for direction. They were smart enough to know what she knew and they could never return to the place they once called home.

Of course there are others,” Imani answered, finally lifting her head to gaze in his direction. “In all that chaos I know some of them would have found an escape.

A sharp bark drew Imani into a sitting position and her attention darted to the first newcomer. Imani didn’t know what the creature was, she had never seen one like it, but it wasn’t aggressive. It seemed warier of them than the dogs were of it and it stood stiffly as it spoke in its odd dialect.  Imani was slightly withdrawn in her speech, but looked politely interested, as a wild dog could manage. Maybe Uduak would choose to entertain the small talk. He was a better dog than her at any rate.

Trident, I am Imani, this is Uduak,” she tilted her ear slightly to gesture at her companion. “We’re fairly new here but working as the Queen’s Sentinels. We have a long background in this kind of work.

A bristle crept up Imani’s spine before she processed the second newcomers pale form slithering towards them through the rain. Wild dogs did not growl or bare their teeth in pseudo threat the way wolves did. They were more inclined towards excited barking and tail wagging as they pulled you to the ground and gutted you. Imani scrambled to her feet and her tail went straight up, the sopping tip still bright in the gray of the rain. The cat was attempting to speak but the scent of her wet fur wafted over to Imani and the dog nearly choked on the stench. They should flee before the beast got the jump on them, her and Uduak alone couldn’t take it, but maybe this Trident…

Who are you?” Her voiced possessed that commanding air she once held over her Rangers, edged with venom. “What are you doing here? This is no place for your kind!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:49:30 PM by Imani. »

Offline Sitiden

• Formerly Coldfeather
  • Hero
    • My status
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 09:18:54 PM »
((Hey Wildwater, it's no biggie but typically threads have a posting order. I can edit the post I just typed up a little to fit in your response, unless anyone has an objection?))

Quiet moments passed and only the patter of rain responded. Eyes turned up to the leaves and he blinked away the droplets that fell into his eyes. Imani finally spoke and Uduak offered a slow tail wag.  The boost of faith was quickly interupted however. It might have been the bark that took his gaze to the stranger, but it was her looks that kept his attention. The dog was on his feet quickly. What sort of creature was this? It looked canine at its core, but those horns! And that tail! This hellion had antelope and scorpion blood in it somewhere, but how? Eyes darted to his former commander, looking to her for direction. She was calm. Much like it always had, Imani's outward emotions lead him. He licked his lips, unsure of himself in the presence of this monster. Uduak remained on his feet and nodded when introduced.

"Trident."

The dog was not prepared for such a visitor, and nothing could have prepared him for the next. Imani had spotted her first, but the moment Uduak spotted the mud splattered beast all his hair stood up on edge. He released a whine, but the sound was not fearful, it was excited. His blood ran hot and it was all he could do not to shake. Glaring wickedly all the while he lifted a paw. He was ready to dart, hopefully away from the lioness. No amount of hatred could make up for the size and power difference between cat and dog. Eyes darted to Trident and his mind went the opposite route as his companion. This monster may have appeared friendly, but there would be no trusting something so unearthly. Perhaps she was sent as a distraction, and what a good job she did. Uduak heard nothing but blood pounding his his ears, Lilliana's words lost in the panic.

Reality started to unravel. The sounds of a nonexistant battle flooded him. The smell of blood was strong, he felt it dripping from his mouth. A monster stood before him, and a lion crept closer. Uduak stiffly hopped away a few step, unsure weather to watch the enemies or the welfare of his leader.

"Comander! Let's go! We need to get the others!"

Offline Lilliana

• The Queen's Shadow
  • Initiate
  • Whoa, Mona Lisa
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 10:03:54 PM »
[[Sorry, I wasn't aware of that. I can remove my post no problem and just retype it. Im still getting the hang of Dires and the previous forum rps i have posted on did not follow this.

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 11:11:18 PM »
In the Jagged Teeth, painted dogs were common. They traveled in yipping lines, but never pressed into the Spear's territory. They danced around it, sang violent songs, but otherwise stayed out of the way. She hadn't seen any here though, on this strange continent across the churning sea. She relaxed, sagged her weight onto all four paws and sighed in content. Were the sand a little more yellow and the trees burnt bright, they might have been Home. Alas, t'was for not, and the hound pushed the warm feeling down to savor later.

“Trident, I am Imani, this is Uduak. We’re fairly new here but working as the Queen’s Sentinels. We have a long background in this kind of work.”

Her ears twitched as the lead female spoke. "Ee-man-ee?" Trident rumbled as she chewed on the syllables, trying to get the word through her thick accent. "Oo.. OOoodawk?" She tried, she really did. The hound shook her head, long ears fanned out as she chuffed, "Oodawk's name is hard. Apologeese, but certain vords do not..." She lifted her foreleg to move her paw in a circular motion, "Come out vell, yeh? Yeh." Her tail swished nervously behind her, the blade making the drenched grass flop over lifelessly. The hound cleared her throat as she continued, "But Queen's Sentinels! Very good. Need more o' you, yeh? Yeh." She leaned her head to the side and lifted her hind leg to scratch behind her ear as she barked, "But you should've been zhere vhen I first arrived! No border patrol in zhe flats! None!" She laughed, glass on pavement, shaking her head as she stood up straight. The hound snorted through her nose, about to make another joke when crap hit the fan.

“Who are you? What are you doing here? This is no place for your kind!”

"Comander! Let's go! We need to get the others!"

Trident immediately put herself between the dogs and the cat. Her tail shot straight up, the blade high as she snarled, "Oi!" Her eyes were bright with adrenaline and she could almost smell the fight about to happen. She clacked her teeth, tongue curled behind her fangs as she lifted her head high. Her glare cut to Uduak's high-pitched whine as she growled, "Zhere vill be no 'getting ozhers!' Zhat is not zhe vay of this here Fisi Ukoo!" She clicked her teeth again as she said harshly, "Zhis is a peaceful place. Ve strive for peace, alvays." Her hard gaze shifted to Imani.

"Use your vords." Only Pitch Forks bit first and asked questions later.

Her tail flicked as it settled behind her, swishing like a furious snake. Her fur stayed upright and her lips were a little curled, but she turned her back on the dogs. "You," She said a little gruffly to the lion, "Vhat's your designation?" The question was a rough sigh as the heat left her blood, and a little sadness crept up on her skin. She really would have liked to watch the dogs in action, like when Corak took her class to observe their hunting techniques. Now was not the time, and her rank wouldn't allow her to be a mere observer.

Damn shame, though. Those dogs knew the business.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:30:20 PM by Shroxx Greyfall »

Offline corvo

• Hero
  • Liked: 2486
  • Likes Given: 4405
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 09:12:39 PM »
They haven't been on since February so let's just write Lilliana out of the thread if that's alright with everyone else?

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 07:44:54 PM »
[bump]