Author Topic: Swamped [Monsoon Event Thread!][Ended]  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Ukoo

• Leader
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
Swamped [Monsoon Event Thread!][Ended]
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »
The waters begin to rise, and that means bad news for the Bazaar. The Voices remained ignorant of it for too long, thinking the rain would let up and the waters would receed. They were wrong, and now the Bazaar is flooded. Badly.

This is an event thread for the Monsoon, and will require action by members of Ukoo. The goal of this thread is for Ukoo members to salvage as much as they can of the goods which have already washed away, and to save the goods that are still untouched. There is also an NPC featured in this thread who you guys will have to save.

His name is Shiner, he's an East Timor Giant Rat. Shiner is one of the craftsmen, known for making very fine jewelry. Presently he's stranded on a tall rock out in roughly four feet of water, as he was washed out there while trying to salvage some of his goods on his own. He can't swim!

Aside from the deeper end that Shiner is in, the water levels in the submerged part of the Bazaar are roughly a foot and a half deep, and get deeper as you go further in towards the actual lake. Some of the stored good and stalls have been swept out deeper, and are floating in baskets and the like. Some have sunk and are where they were left.

------------------

"H-HELP!" The rat squealed, hoping his voice would carry across far enough to catch someone's attention. "The Bazaar has flooded! I'M STUCK!" Which, he supposed the former was more important, but he would also prefer to not be trapped in the middle of deep water and scared for his life. He would continue to call until the first few people appeared to respond to his call, once they had arrived he would sit up on his back legs.

"Oh thank goodness you came, I was afraid I wouldn't be loud enough!" And he could only hope one of them knew how to swim. "Everything's flooded, the goods are floating away....please, save them if you can- and...if someone would be kind enough to swim over to me and let me ride back with them...I cannot swim...."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:40:32 PM by [Moth] »
Account is controlled by Moth and Jye.
PLEASE DO NOT PM UKOO THINGS TO THIS ACCOUNT!
This account is only for posting random events in Ukoo!

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
  • Liked: 1243
  • Likes Given: 278
Re: Swamped [Monsoon Event Thread!]
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 11:55:06 PM »
Her usual patrol was interrupted by a loud squeal that instantly made her pin her ears back and screw her eyes shut. She winced and gritted her teeth, about to snap something rude when she realized what the person had screamed. Her eyes shot open and she listened again; strained to hear over the thousand droplets of rain and whistling breeze. There! The hound threw her head back and let out a baritone howl to the owner in distress.

I'm coming!

Trident took flight. She kept her ears forward as she honed in on the source. The rain made it more difficult as it was hard to see while she ran, but she trusted her instincts to keep her from going astray. As she reached the crest of a small hill that overlooked the Bazaar she had to stop and stare. "K'ya kesh," She muttered lowly as she saw the flood waters lazily curve about the normally dry area. The hound shook herself after a moment and went down at a lope.

Now that she was at the scene she began to look around. Her sharp eyes scanned the area, but it was the high pitched "I'M STUCK!" that got her attention. She kicked into gear and bolted toward the noise, but stopped when she saw just what had screamed. Trident looked around for possibly anyone else, but after Shiner screamed some more she made a decision. She began to back up. She did this for about five feet, and then she took off at a run. The hell hound went as fast as she could, and when she reached the edge of the deeper water she leaped.

Splash!

Trident kept her head above the water. It wasn't that deep, but it was deep enough to make her need to doggy-paddle. So she swam over to the frightened rodent. When she reached the rock she put her front paws on it, and looked up at Shiner. "Climb on." She wasn't for beating around the bush, and she couldn't tread water forever.

Offline Arcus

• Ukoo
  • Initiate
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:55:52 PM »
Normally, Arcus wouldn't have minded the rain, but the rain kept going and going and going. His thick fur was almost never dry anymore, and he felt chilled and damp. He loved all the mud, but was starting to miss the sun. All the gloom made him tired. The adolescent hyena was resting under a rocky overhang, damp and cold but at least out of the rain. The rain sounded nice, its sound rhythmic and filled with...screaming and howling?

Suddenly things clicked in Arcus's brain. He leaped to his feet, forgetting the low overhang and cracking his head against the stone. With a groan, he exited the shelter, lifting his head only after he'd cleared the overhang. He shook himself, trying to place where the sound had come from. It sounded like it came from the lake or the Bazaar. He couldn't make out any words over the rain, but no one would yell if there wasn't a problem, right? Arcus raced off after the noise, hoping things would be under control and safe by the time he got there.

They weren't.

A rat was stranded out in the deep water, perched on a rock, and a hellhound was doing her best to aid him and get him to safety. But the rest of the Bazaar was under water, floating, or drifting away. Arcus froze at the sight, overwhelmed with it all. He'd never seen water this high before, it was deep enough that the hellhound, the really tall hellhound had to swim. He was big for a hyena, and she towered over him. The water was probably shallower closer to him, but it was hard to tell the water's depth with all the mud and debris clouding it. The hellhound and the rat were probably the ones he'd heard, but no one else was here that he could see. There was so much going on that the adolescent didn't know where to start. It looked like the hellhound had things under control with the rat, but were there any others caught in the water? Would he have to swim to try and gather the lost items? Arcus could swim, but he'd always swum in the shallows of the lake, when it was calm and he could rest his paws on the bottom if he grew tired. This water had driftwood trees, silt, baskets, packs of goods, and seemed to have currents in a few places. Arcus let out a long, uncomfortable whine and raised and shifted back and forth between his paws in a sort of nervous dance. He let out a loud, panicked whoop, hoping to call others to help.

Cautiously, he approached the water, stopping just short of its edge. Squinting his eyes through the rain, he scanned the water's surface, trying to watch for anyone else that might be caught. He didn't see any other merchants, but called out to be safe: "S'anyone out there? Stuck?" Not hearing a response, he looked around and noticed some baskets floating midway between the shore and the hellhound, slightly off to the side but not too distant from them. Gathering his courage, he focused on those few baskets, figuring he'd rescue those and be there in case the hellhound needed help. Arcus walked into the water slowly, gradually it grew deeper and deeper until it was up to his chest and kicked off the ground and swam instead. The swim seemed to take forever, the baskets perpetually out of reach, seeming to move farther and farther away. When he finally caught up to them and managed to catch one in his jaws, he realized that the baskets must've been caught in a current; looking back the shore seemed very far away and he was past the hellhound and the rat. Panic set in and Arcus yelped, flailing about for a second before trying to settle back into a proper swim. The water pushed at him and he could barely make any headway, and the water pushing against the basket didn't help matters. The water was wide here; he'd have a better shot aiming for the rock than trying to get to shore. Struggling against the water, but focusing intently on the rock where the rat was perched, Arcus slowly swam forward. Eventually he reached the rock and managed to hook his front legs around it, to hang on and give his tired muscles a break. If the rat and the hellhound had left the rock, he'd pull himself up onto the rock, panting and dragging the basket with him. He laid on the rock for a bit, panting heavily and trying to catch his breath. If anyone came within earshot, he'd call out "There's currents! Careful!" hoping to warn them of the dangers in the water. He'd managed to save one basket, at least. He'd journey back to shore in a bit, but for now he wanted to rest, regain strength and composure before facing the water again. At least the water would get shallower on the way back.

Played by Jye

Offline Teeth [sluggish slime]

• Regular
  • the loyal gay
    • My status
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:38:19 PM »
Greech trudged through the mud and tangle of uprooted savannah grasses with difficulty, her eyes set on the path ahead. Her build had never been suitable for sensitive terrain, let alone any situation that require grace or dexterity, but she was a good judge of the earth and had managed to avoid sinking too far into the soggy earth. Her patrol had gone well; a few beady eyed jackals lingered on the outskirts of the eastern boarders but they'd only been asking after directions, which the hellhyena had been all too happy to provide. It was a low cycle swing of the month, though, so, at the thought of returning to her quarters, Greech felt her passion flicker and drop into a little ball of stone that settled in the center of her chest.

The rain didn't help either. It made the world fuzzy to the hellion: the distinct boarders that everything-- the earth and sky, the water and land-- shared blurred into each other. It felt like the muck underpaw, dribbling and woven through with pale and dying grasses; an uncertain path through dark clouds. A chill spread through her and Greech shook her head, trying to keep in memory the way the world would look after the storm had passed and all was proper again.

The image was enough to distract her in misstepping in the slick terrain and the hellion skidded forward with a stifled cry of surprise. It wasn't enough of an upset for her to fall, but she felt a moment of ridiculousness from sliding around in the mud like a cub. When she was child, she did childish things but now she was grown and--

A low howl cut through her mantra and Greech pricked her small ears to make out owner's intentions over the soft, rhythmic hisssss of the rain. The message was swallowed up by the downpour, but Greech knew that Trident would not made such a noise for amusement alone. In a spray of mud, the massive hellhyena began to lope towards the direction the other hellion's cry.

The Baazar? Is there a raid going on?! How could it be though, Ukoo hasn't heard any stirrings of opposition or violence that I know of and the boarders have been well guarded... unless I let something slip through. Those jackals, suspicious things jackals, not foxes and not wolves, not dogs and not wailers, maybe they-- Oh Askari, help us now. Do not forget us in these soft, uncertain times, and protect us from--

But as Greech neared what had once been rows of stalls stacked with goods and teaming with traders, the hellion came to a halt, both mind and body. Before her was what looked like an unwanted extension of the lake-- no, it was an unwelcome, unwanted, and unacceptable extension of the lake, and was littered with floating bits of debris and the more buoyant of the Voices' goods. Further out, she saw Trident offering her body as a mount for the smaller, rodentias creature that seemed to be stuck on a boulder that jutted out from the water. Greech caught another flash of movement and saw Arcus, the Mender, on the edge of the flooded area, calling into the downpour,

"S'anyone out there? Stuck?"

She was about to approach him, when the hyena began to wade into the water, making for a few baskets not far from where Trident and the rock with the rodent were. Glancing down at the edge of the flood, Greech felt the stone turn in her chest. Trident stood much higher at the shoulder than her and was obviously too short to stand in the water and Arcus had managed to cling to the rock, shouting a warning of the currents as he did so. Greech swallowed and tried to find something to review about the situation apart from the fact that she had never navigated deep water before. She didn't know if she could swim or if her paws would drag her away from the surface. The thought of hitting the bottom of the murky water, standing on land that wasn't on land... But it could not be abided for her to simply stand and witness the efforts of her comrades, of her family.

She shuddered and said another prayer to Askari for an invisible shroud of protection to be cast over the four of them and then began to walk.

The water was colder than she had imagined but the ground held underneath her was firmly as the mud above water had. Squinting through the rain, she tried to navigate the semi-shallows until she was parallel to the three other creatures and then began to close the gap between her and the others with slow, tentative steps, her head upturned in the event she stumbled or was sucked under. To her right, a line of small gourds, dried and hollowed out, attached to strips of leather bobbed. She stopped, dropped her head, and retrieved them with a flick of her tongue, letting them fall over her neck and hang there for safe keeping. Another prayer, and then the hellion ventured further into the waters. Not for long, though-- Her left paw hovered in empty water, obviously lingering on the edge of the mid-water and depths. Greech started backwards and looked at the three. Whether or not they had seen her yet, Greech called,

"I can't go any further without sinking," her voice felt lost in the volley of raindrops, like it was being turned back on itself by the wind and the space between her Trident, Arcus, and the rat. She increased her volume, but her voice cracked with fear, "What can I do to help? Should I get the others or try to gather more merchandise."

This situation required the nuances of Ukoo's higher and nobler members-- Greech could only stand stiffly in the flood and hope that directions would come her way and that Askari had heard her desperate prayers.   
hey dude, i hate everything you do, but i'm trying really hard to not hate you. hating you won't make you suck any less

Offline Emmie

• Initiate
    • My status
    • Character Bin
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 11:54:56 PM »
Tarantula wasn’t one to often complain but this rain had even started to get to him. Not that he would ever voice that. To voice that would to show weakness and one thing Tarantulas wasn’t was weak. So he walked through the mud and rain with his head held high. The mud was covering his beautiful white fur around his paws and the rain was making his normal silky soft fur so drenched that he looked much smaller than usual. Not that he looked small at all even with his fur weighed down by the constant downpour.

"I can't go any further without sinking,"

The voice intruding his thoughts was very much unexpected. Tarantula’s ears perked up as he lifted his head higher to hear where the call came from and if any further assistance was needed.

"What can I do to help? Should I get the others or try to gather more merchandise."

This sounded like true desperation so  Tarantula started in a sprint toward to voice in order to see what aid he could be. He did not expect the sight he saw as he approached. The place was flooded and Tarantula was not sure even he would be able to stand in the high waters. He saw that three other members had gotten here before him a hyena. A hellhyena and hell hound who was out doggy paddling in the water already. Tarantula took another step closer and it came into view there was a rat out by the hell hound stranded on a rock in the midst of the flood.

At this sight Tarantula broke into a sprint and jumped into the water as far out as he could. Which with the running start he had was a pretty impressive jump. He paddled out to the hell hound and pushed his side against the rock where the rat had been trapped ready for him to get on fighting against the current to remain in place and turned his head toward to hell hound.

“If it’s ok with you I have him.  I am slightly bigger and maybe able to get him back easier and safer and still have the energy to go out and try and get some of the stuff that was washed out into the water.”

Tarantula hoped the hell hound would take him up on his offer. If she and the rat agreed he would swim back with the both of them to make sure they both got to land safely and proceed to go back out and gather as much supplies as he could.
Character Bin
Erip:Braith:
Tarantula:

Offline vanitas

• You're an empty husk.
  • Master
  • Your heart will vanish forever.
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 02:13:51 PM »
Yoru & Tsuki

The cream colored canines sat in their den together in misery. Both of them hated the wet weather this monsoon caused, though the younger one was much more vocal about it. Tsuki supposed that was part of being a child, but that didn't mean she understood it. She didn't remember her childhood being anything like his.

She lay his golden head on his back and began to drift to sleep when he moved beneath her. "Mother. I heard something." Now fully awake, she strained her ears to hear near silent voices. She glanced at him, nodded to him to indicate he should follow, and ran out into the rain towards the Bazaar. She didn't watch him hesitate to follow her with a look of absolute disgust on his face. He hated the rain.

When they arrived at the Bazaar thoroughly soaked, Tarantula was trying to coax Trident into letting him have the rodent on her back. Baskets and merchandise were spilling out into the water and Tsuki began to ease herself into the water. "Mother what are you doing?" Yoru seemed content to watch the chaos, but Tsuki would have none of that nonsense. "We're helping get all of this out of the water before it ruins." The look of utter disdain on his face was enough to tell her all she needed to know.

She looked across the Bazaar and assessed the situation with cold blue eyes. Finally she turned back to her son. "Fine. You wait up here. Check everyone when they get to land for any problems. Be thorough. Remember what I taught you." He nodded reluctantly before turning to whichever canine brought Shiner to him. Yoru would then proceed the checkup as he had been taught when the rains began. Though not an official Mender, he could do this much at least.

Tsuki, on the other had, dove into the water and swam to where Arcus was. "Thanks for the warning." Careful of the currents, she gathered baskets in her jaws and swam back to dryish land. It was exhausting.

Offline Ukoo

• Leader
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 04:22:06 AM »
-KICKS DOWN THE DOOR- HELLO I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN THIS

Posting Order:
[Ukoo Account- will be posting stats from here on out unless something else needs to happen!]
Mars [I will be switching to her account for all posts after this round, as the NPC portion isn't required past this really]
Trident
Arcus
Greech
Tarantula
Tsuki/Yoru

People may still join if they wish! There's definitely rewards in it if you do!
------------------------------

The cries of distress had brought forth the head of the Royal Guard, observing them for a time to get a feel for the situation.

The hellhound reached him first, and he was already half onto her back when the wolf arrived. "The lady was here first-" Shiner explained calmly, keeping his voice loud enough to be heard over the rain. "But you seem like a strong swimmer- there's a basket a few feet out, it has very valuable crafting goods in it! Could you go and fetch it please, so it isn't lost?" And if the wolf agreed he would climb fully onto Trident and ride back to shore. Once there he would grudgingly let Yoru take care of him- but overall he would be fine. When the checkup was done he would scamper off to find shelter from the rain.

From the shore a loud roar would echo across the whole of the lake, finally bringing attention to the lioness who was taking charge of the situation. Mars rushed forward, making her presence clear. With a grunt she advanced towards Yoru first, scowling. She didn't care if he knew healing, she wanted every able-bodied citizen in the water helping out, and she didn't like the idea of him just standing around. He seemed to have no excuse- his patient had already skittered off. "You!" Hell if she knew what his name was. "Get your ass in that water collecting baskets. Don't just stand around looking like an airheaded pup. You've seen to the only one who needs seeing to." Nobody else was hurt, just wet. They'd live- even if she herself was miserable from the rain.

Regardless of what he did, she would stalk off towards Greech. "If you can't swim, stay on shore and drag the baskets they bring in up, keep them far from the waterline." Barking an order to him so he'd make himself useful at least. The weather had soured her mood more than usual- but that much was at least clear. Once Greech moved to do as he'd been told, she would move to help him, taking the baskets brought in and dragging them further up the shore so they were definitely safe.
Account is controlled by Moth and Jye.
PLEASE DO NOT PM UKOO THINGS TO THIS ACCOUNT!
This account is only for posting random events in Ukoo!

Offline Ceraphena

• Hero
  • Formerly Shroxx
    • My status
  • Liked: 1243
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 12:45:13 PM »
Hyenas were kind. They took in every species aside from desert dwellers into Ukoo. That’s why Trident forced herself to stay calm and rational. When the filthy scrag suggested she was too weak to carry the rat, too much of a damsel to do her job? That’s when she decided being polite was out the window. Her ears pinned back as she met his eyes with her glare. Her lips drew back as she bared her teeth and snarled, “Get ze eff avay from me and get zhose damn baskeets.” She leaned toward him and snapped close to his ears in reprimand for his stupidity.

Do not forget to whom you speak, wolf.

When she felt Shiner grip at her fur and get a good hold, she pushed off from the rock. She swam around the rock and the chastised male; just in time too for the flailing hyena to take refuge on the boulder. “Vhen you get better, help zhe ozher hound in ze shallow vater!” She barked at Arcus, her accent a little thicker than usual due to her slight struggle with the currents. She growled underneath her breath, but her long and powerful legs kept her from getting swept under. When she reached the shore line she lowered herself so Shiner could dismount, and then shook herself from nose to tail tip.

Trident growled as the rain fell in her eyes. She shook herself and wiped at them, then turned her attention to the lioness. She squinted at Mars through the rain, and approached the big cat. “Help us get zhe bigger baskeets, neh?” She said to the large lioness, before the hell hound turned. As she did so, Tsuki came back ashore with some of the smaller baskets in her mouth. At least this wolf was useful. “Tsuki!” The hell hound barked, approaching the smaller female, “Help zhe ozher hound vith pulling in zhe baskeets. Ve bigger ones vill bring zhem close, and you pull zhem in, yeh? Yeh.”

With the orders issued, she looked back to Mars who had taken charge of the shore. “Be careful vith ze under currents, yeh?” She gave the big cat something like a grin before she went back into the cold water. She was chest deep and paddled very little; letting the current carry her toward the bobbing goods. If Arcus was still on the rock, she’d suggest him to help the shore team. As she pushed off the rock, she simply floated to what looked like a sinking satchel. Hooking it on her horns, she swam a bit farther to grab a small basket. Then she turned, and swam for shore.

Offline Arcus

• Ukoo
  • Initiate
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 10:53:38 PM »
((Sorry for the delay!!)

As the adolescent hyena caught his breath, he took stock of the situation, to help calm himself and figure out what to do next. The rat was safe now, and adults were here, helping to pull baskets from the water. There was another youngster there, who seemed lost and confused. He was sure others felt overwhelmed too, but it was a relief to know that he wasn't alone in that at least. Mars arrived and started giving direction, helping to bring a bit more order to the situation. He found her intimidating, but knew that that was part of her job - she couldn't be head of the royal guard otherwise. 

"If you can't swim, stay on shore and drag the baskets they bring in up, keep them far from the waterline." The order wasn't directed at him, but it seemed like a good course of action. He was wary of the water now, afraid of the hidden currents. He'd probably be most helpful near the shore, where his paws could touch the bottom when he grew weary of swimming. He stayed there another minute before shoving off, fighting the heavy water as he swam for shore. It was a relief when his paws touched mud and he could walk again.

He shook the water from his fur, though it did little good. He was thoroughly soaked, though he felt slightly lighter with some of the excess water gone. He walked back into the water, grabbing a few baskets and pulling them to high ground. The baskets felt heavier on land, without the water supporting their weight. He wanted to rest, but there was still more to do, still more baskets in the high water. He waded out partway, waiting and ready to grab a basket from whoever brought them to shore. He was tired, but determined to push through it. He was only a youngster, but some help was better than nothing.

Played by Jye